September 30, 2015 at 4:43PM

Audio Problems - Nikon D3300, Rode Video Mic Pro

Hi guys, I need help!

So when I'm recording with my Nikon D3300 and Rode Video Mic Pro it records the sound, but when I play it back it only plays on the left speaker!? I looked at the camera mic settings and it only seems to register sound on the left side (if that makes sense) nothing was picked up on the right hand side. There seems to be no way to change it? Am I doing something wrong?

Is this normal? Is the mic broken? Can it be fixed in post on Final Cut Pro X?

4 Comments

That does seem odd, but this is a mono mic so as long as you've got a clean recording with one of your audio tracks you should be able to convert the audio from one channel to both channels. I do this all the time, but I'm not editing with Final Cut Pro X, but I am certain that FCPX must be able to do this because this is a very common video problem.

I had to convert 4 hours of video that was shot be somebody else today that had exactly this issue, where they had a professional XLR audio input on the camera but it had been recorded on only one channel, so I exported the audio to a separate WAV file then did some EQ work on it, reduced the ambient room noise, and then converted it from one channel to both channels of a stereo WAV file and saved it back to disk. Once done, I imported the WAV file into my editor and replaced the original audio track with my processed audio track, and then saved out a new copy using the Cineform editing CODEC. With FCPX you could just save it out as a new ProRes file.

September 30, 2015 at 9:07PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thanks, guy. I'll look into this.

Tom Warwick

October 1, 2015 at 6:44AM

Hey Tom, not sure it is the same issue but here is what happened to me and how I fixed my "audio coming from only one speaker" problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKepIceNf1M

in the video audition is used, but you can do the same with audacity and probably other softwares.

October 8, 2015 at 7:21AM

Omar El Araby
Director

I owned the Nikon D3300 for just over the year warranty before I tried to do a video recording. I don't have sound from playback on the camera or on the computer. I think the Mic is dead. Nikon is going to charge me to repair it. This is my first Nikon DSLR. It doesn't give me a good impression, especially since the first one I bought (from a big box retail store) was also faulty (JPEG color was waaaay off, even in "neutral" people looked sunkissed orange in sun and magenta in shade).

Is this going to be the limit of the malfunction or can I expect more and more aspects of this camera to fail due to what I presume to be a board-level issue? Alternately, is there a cable connection to the Mic that might simply be loose? How can I be assured that if I send it to Nikon they won't replace it with someone else's problem unit, which might have issues more severe than a broken on-board mic? (I don't want to send my camera in for service if I can't be assured I will get my OWN camera back.)

Thanks for the input.

June 13, 2016 at 7:56PM

LYNND

Your Comment