October 8, 2015 at 10:28AM

You voted '-1'.

Best Camera & gear for $1100 or less?

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to video. I hate seeing bad quality video, and I hate seeing the noise and pixilation bad quality has. Unfortunately, I am not a professional and I have little to no experience recording, but I am in love with it. I have made several videos at my highschool that have gotten some pretty good popularity, and by popularity, I mean $1100 in donations to get myself a new camera.

I've been experimenting a little bit lately. I recently bought and returned a Canon EOS Rebel T6i because it could only record max 1080P 30FPS. I bought 2 days ago a Lumix FZ1000 that shoots 4K, 1080P 60FPS, and a scaled up version 1080P 120FPS for slow motion. I love slow motion. I like seeing the extreme detail of facial expressions and movements. I think this camera is good, however, it has a fixed lens, a knob to zoom, and a small screen that isn't touch.

Facts about what I like to shoot:

- High Quality (Crystal Clear 1080P or 4k)
- Slow Motion (Only in some cases. Not always)
- Shooting Sports Events
- Removable lenses
- Big screen to see what I am recording (Preferably touch)
- A big camera body so it is more stable (Not those little sony cameras)
- I like to run and gun so something that has stabilization is nice.
- Taking pictures. (18MP +)

With all of that being said, do I have the best camera out there for under $1100? I got a shotgun mic and a stabilization kit with it and it also came with a 32GB sd card for 4k shooting.

Can anyone make any recommendations? I just want an all around good camera that can take extremely good video, decent pictures, and is somewhat big and looks good all for under $1100.

Thanks for your help!

2 Comments

I would stick with your Panasonic FZ1000 camera and buy a good monitor, or monitor recorder to use with it. At $1,100 there really isn't anything much better. ( maybe the Sony RX10 Mk2, but I think that costs more than the FZ1000 )

You might want to take a look at the Blackmagic Video Assist monitor/recorder that sells for $495 US, and should be available soon. It will give you a bigger screen to work with, and it will allow you to record much longer than the 30 minutes that the FZ1000 is restricted to. ( I am not sure if it will support the high-speed recording, but if it doesn't you can still use it as a monitor while you record with the FZ1000 camera )

Blackmagic Video Assist 5 inch Monitor / Recorder
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/blackmagicvideoassist

October 8, 2015 at 3:36PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Thank you! I will look into it.

Thomas Walker

October 8, 2015 at 8:32PM

Your Comment