June 11, 2015 at 11:07AM, Edited June 11, 11:16AM

Best way to mimic the Cinelook D picture style on a Nikon D5100

Right now, I'm looking at the Nikon Picture Control Editor site (http://nikonpc.com/) and I'm blown away by the amount of choice I have in terms of picture styles. Today, I feel the urge to try out a style similar to the Cinelook D on the GH4 after discovering that it played a vital role in the production of this video from Kidz R' Evil (https://vimeo.com/98300737).

I really want to mimic that specific look for a future video of mine, a quasi-analog 8mm-16mm aesthetic, if you will, although I'll be using a stocking over my AIS lens' rear element instead of a Tiffen filter and just a set of ImpulZ luts. Which style do you think would look the most suitable (after playing around with the curves, of course)?

7 Comments

The only thing that will come close are the amazing FLAAT picture profiles by Samuel Hurtado
http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

June 11, 2015 at 1:33PM, Edited June 11, 1:34PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

You CANNOT go wrong with Flaat, especially Flaat_11 (my go-to, these days). When you pair it with ImpulZ LUTs, it just looks amazing.

I actually tried out a few PCs from the site yesterday and ultimately remembered "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'll stick it out with Flaat.

KK Akuoku

June 12, 2015 at 11:23AM

Have you tried using FilmConvert? I like the way it affects footage from any source.

http://filmconvert.com/

June 11, 2015 at 10:32PM

Donovan Vim Crony
Director, DP, Editor, VFX, Sci-Fi Lover

I really want to try FilmConvert, but I'm a little apprehensive about using my D5100 with it, since it's not one of the cameras that is covered by FC. The color information might get a little screwy or it might not even work with it at all, so it's a gamble.

KK Akuoku

June 12, 2015 at 11:25AM

>>>I really want to try FilmConvert, but I'm a little apprehensive about using my D5100 with it, since it's not one of the cameras that is covered by FC.

You can download a fully working demo to try out before you buy.

Also, keep in mind that FilmConvert is a tool to make digital video look like film, but it won't do anything for you in terms of dynamic-range, where the FLAAT picture profile will actually change the dynamic-range of your camera, just like the Cine-D profile does with the Panasonic GH4.

June 12, 2015 at 1:32PM, Edited June 12, 1:32PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I find that, depending on the level of contrast in the subject being shot, it isn't always advantageous to shoot as flat as possible on these cameras that compress the footage heavily. This is because you're losing color depth in this compressed format -- in one test on the Gh4, I found that I could get everything exposed properly for a particular scene using the "portrait" style, and this used about 90% of the range; Cinelike D used only about 20%, as in the darkest parts of the image and the lightest parts were only about 20% different from each other on the scale of black to white. This means that (to my understanding) when I put the curve in place to get it to look about the same, I lost 70% of the depth I could have had with portrait mode. There are tests online that point to similar problems, such as discolored flesh tones in Cinelike D compared to better, more nuanced reproduction of flesh tones in the less flat modes.

That said, Flaat should be a good option for those moments where you really need to preserve every bit of dynamic range possible. That's what I save Cinelike D for now -- very high contrast scenes, like sunsets, where it gives me a little extra detail in highlights and shadows.

June 13, 2015 at 7:25PM, Edited June 13, 7:26PM

Philip Heinrich
Director, Producer

Yes, there is no "one size fits all" for camera profiles, so using FLAAT or Cine-D on high contrast subjects makes sense, but not for low contrast subjects like scenes lit by overcast skies.

Guy McLoughlin

June 13, 2015 at 7:52PM

Your Comment