January 3, 2016 at 6:17PM

C100 in 2016?

Hey Joe,

Lately I've been researching cameras primarily for documentary filmmaking (but which could also accommodate for low-budget commercials).

In accordance with my budget I've limited my options to:

-Sony A7S
-Panasonic GH4
-Canon C100

While powerful cameras, I've read a lot about the shortcomings of the A7S and the GH4, but I can only seem to find positive comprehensive reviews of the C100 (minus the EVF and lack of slow-mo). The form factor & ergonomics, built-in ND filters, and XLR inputs are particularly appealing to me.

However, as we enter 2016 I'm a little concerned about the age of the C100. Do you think it's close to the end of "product lifecycle," as some have speculated? Does this matter?

I know these answers are contingent on each individual's line of work and personal preferences, but in my research I've found that you give very informed, conscientious, and insightful answers to tough questions (so what the hell, right?)

Thanks,
Will

3 Comments

Longer recording time and better ergonomics make the C100/C300 the go-to solution for documentary use. A DSLR usually needs to be fitted with a lot of extra to match a proper video camera.
That being said, if you absolutely need killer night footage, you can't beat the sensitivity of A7S. So check with your priorities and decide. I would not mind too much with the lower specs of the C100, if you like its image.
Be sure to check the new pricing: http://nofilmschool.com/2016/01/canon-c100-mark-i-ii-price-drop-cost

January 4, 2016 at 7:06PM

Stel Kouk
Filmmaker

I own a GH3, Blackmagic pocket camera, and then last year I took the plunge on a C100 mk2. I know the specs aren't really there in terms of 4k etc, but the benefits you highlight is why I went for it and I haven't regretted it for a second. In actual fact I prefer the image I'm getting to most stuff I've seen from a7s and FS7 etc, it looks a lot more natural and if you're not an experienced colour grader then that's a very good thing.

Also you can record absolutely tons of footage onto two SD cards without worrying about space, also a big plus for doc shooting. Speaking of SD cards, you can basically backup onto the second card in real time, recording two copies of everything. Again for shooting docs where something may only happen once, it's a bit of piece of mind if an SD card fails (not that it's happened to me but you never know).

If you get one though for the love of god don't use the picture profile 'EOS Standard' it's absolutely awful. Go for WideDR or even try overexposing a little in C-Log.

January 6, 2016 at 5:44AM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

Just got a c100 mk1 and absolutely love it, everything you need, nothing you don't, but keep in mind no slowmo unless you go for the mk2

January 6, 2016 at 7:54PM, Edited January 6, 7:54PM

Your Comment