December 17, 2016 at 12:20PM

Can we use DSLRs like Nikon 3200 and D7000 for professional film making ?

I'm planning to make a movie and want to release in regional movie theatres, So I wanna ask that is these DSLRs are good for Making a movie or not ??

11 Comments

You can shoot with an iPhone.

As long as you have a compelling story and good sound you're golden. People will watch it.

I take it you are going to be making a movie with almost no budget then it really shouldn't matter what camera you are using. The Camera is just a tool. In the right hands and if you are creative enough no one will mind.

See Tangerine on Netflix...shot with an iphone 5
Escape for Tomorrow... shot with a Canon 5D Mk II (DSLR)
Silent House also shot with a Canon 5D Mk II

I know these aren't exactly the same cameras but just to put in perspective they were small releases that used prosumer brand cameras and still achieved success.

December 18, 2016 at 10:12PM

You voted '+1'.
Ryan McCurdy
Commercial Video Producer/ Filmmaker

Thank you for ur precious advice :D

Aishwary DUBEY

December 19, 2016 at 6:30AM

"Searching For Sugarman", shot in super 8.

December 21, 2016 at 2:39AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

"The best camera is the camera you have with you."
And that is always true. The camera doesn't take the shot. The operator does.
Watch this video by Philip Bloom that he has shot with a barbie camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrOwLLAp6Wk.

December 21, 2016 at 11:58AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

Not a Fan of Nikon but, it is a tool, just like Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic, Arri , RED. The only issue i find with Nikon is the handling of skin tones (shift a little to the green side) so try to shoot neutral profile with low contrast so you can do a slight magenta shift in the mid tones. But its a Tool and capable of doing great things.. Get Shooting Man!!!

December 21, 2016 at 8:28PM

Wentworth Kelly
DP/Colorist/Drone Op

You may want to try Samuel Hurtado's FLAAT picture profile with your Nikon D7000 camera to see if you can get a better look from your D7000 camera...

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

The next generation of Nikon cameras ( D3300 and D7100 ) produce better looking video, but there is no reason why you can't use the cameras you own now to start.

December 22, 2016 at 10:54AM, Edited December 22, 10:54AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Flaat was a nice suggestion. From there I found https://nikonpc.com/, there you can make your own profiles. I am going to dig my D7000 out of the dust ; ) to try a "high roll off" profile just made.

Richard Lizier

December 23, 2016 at 6:57AM

You can use anything for professional filmmaking!!!!

December 23, 2016 at 5:43PM, Edited December 23, 5:43PM

I agree with you

Dibyendu Joardar

December 26, 2016 at 12:45AM

For feature films, I don't think there are quality guidelines you need to meet in terms of acquisition. So, yep, you could shoot on a smartphone.

For television, some networks do have guidelines. For instance, certain resolutions or bit rates.

For corporate interviews type stuff, bring a camera that looks like a camera and charge accordingly.

December 25, 2016 at 2:32PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Hello Dubey Ji,
to add to the above comments - if you know the cons of your tools then you can plan how to avoid stepping in that area and get your work done to your satisfaction. But when you need to meet certain technical requirements than you got to get your tools right.
I myself use D7000 with prime lenses with contrast pulled down completely and sharpness down by two steps. This helps me do the color corrections in post more easily. Even D3200 is good enough. Before starting the actual shoot, I do trials in most critical situations which I might face in the project am taking up.
But you should pay extra attention with the audio. There you cannot depend on the on camera mic. I use Zoom H2n with lav (collar) mic and boom mic. Process the audio further in post for the best I can get out of the tools I use. My mics are DIY. I purchased condenser mic (Rs.25/- approx. - quarter dollar roughly) from the electronic market in Pune and soldered them with good quality shielded wires and connectors. I know this will not give you the quality of sound you get from actual pro mics but you will still be surprised with results if done properly.
All the best. Suppress your fears with your confidence and start shooting... :)

December 26, 2016 at 12:44AM

Dibyendu Joardar
Director of Photography

Your Comment