October 23, 2014 at 1:42PM

Canon T3i or Nikon D5300?

So I have been recommended both of these cameras as a starter camera. Just need help deciding and reasons why! Please help.:)

5 Comments

Nikon D5300 is the camera you want to buy...
- 24 Mpx sensor with no low-pass filter for extremely sharp still photos
- Sensor has 13.9 F-stops of dynamic range ( T3i only has 11.5 F-stops )
- No-moire when shooting video ( almost all the Canon DSLRs have moire issues )

October 23, 2014 at 6:12PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hi Guy,

just curious, but do you think the dynamic range of 13.9 f-stops is maintained when recording video with 8bit codec, like both DSLRs do?

I think the advantage of high dynamic range is most usable when shooting RAW photos, because you can play with them later to get "perfect JPEG". But as there is no option to shoot raw video with Nikon D5300 (as far as I know), so I think this advantage gets lost.

I prefer shooting with Nikon, because it is easy to get ton of legacy manual high quality lenses for reasonable price.

Petr

October 27, 2014 at 2:51PM

Petr Schreiber
Passion for video in all forms

>>>do you think the dynamic range of 13.9 f-stops is maintained when recording video with 8bit codec, like both DSLRs do?

No, you're not going to see 13.9 F-stops when recording video, but you will see more dynamic range than you will get from a Canon camera.

You can also load up one of Samuel Hurtado's free "Flaat" Nikon picture profiles to achieve maximum dynamic range with your Nikon camera.

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

For me the Canon moire issue is a bigger deal than anything else, as moire is almost impossible to remove once it's in the video image, and often you won't even know that you've got moire in your image until you get to the editing stage. ( if your monitor supports 1:1 pixel mode you can can spot moire, but it means being very careful when you shoot to ensure moire isn't there )

October 27, 2014 at 4:51PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I can attest to that - the 600D (T3i) is terrible for that, it creates moire where you never thought it could and you don't see it on the camera screen. I can't comment on the Nikon but retrospectively, I would have bought a Nikon for my first camera because of the lens adaptability

Sophia Smoloka

October 29, 2014 at 5:54AM

Thank you for the explanations and especially for the tip for Flaat, I didn't know it.

October 27, 2014 at 5:48PM

Petr Schreiber
Passion for video in all forms

Your Comment