June 1, 2015 at 7:59PM

Mac mini vs. 2012/2013 mbp 15" Retina

I recently bought the latest Mac mini 3.0ghz 16gb ram 256ssd intel iris graphics. I'm happy with how it runs premiere and was pleasantly surprised that the integrated graphics work with GPU acceleration in Premiere. I think it makes more sense for me to have a laptop though so I've been considering a used Macbook Pro Retina from 2012 or 2013. Model MC976LL/A to ME874LL/A. I am wondering if this computer will handle premiere as well as my current Mac Mini. I am working with RED footage but mostly editing it offline as proxies. I still max out my system form time to time with effects etc.. The mini has a faster clock at 3.0ghz but less physical cores 2 cores (4 virtual) and integrated intel iris graphics. The 2012/13 mbps have 2.6hz processors with I believe 4 physical cores and a dedicated 650m graphics card or 750m for the late 2013 model. I'm sure a few of you out there have this machine. Can you vouch for its performance? At what resolution can you playback 5k in your nle with no dropped frames? I've seen a few benchmarks of intel iris vs 650m but they seem to mostly be for gaming.
thanks

1 Comment

Mac Hardware is 5 + years behind, you are paying for the name. Both of your choices won't give you that much of an improvement

November 30, 2016 at 9:53AM

Your Comment