September 9, 2015 at 5:16PM

You voted '-1'.

Need advice on these cameras...

Hello everyone. Sorry if this question gets asked alot, but I don't where else to ask it.

I'll be soon starting my degree in filmmaking. I know that the school provides filming material, however I'd like to have a camera of my own to try new stuff by myself, complement the equipment I'll be using in school, home practice and even do some freelance work that might come up. And although I'm comfortable with editing, the same can't be said about filming, so I need some input.

Due to my budget and after some searching around the Internet and local shops, I'm divided between two DSLRs: Canon 700D and a Sony A3000. The 700D has quite a few features that I want (continuous AF, image stabilization, articulated screen, can have an external mic...), however I don't know if it's worth the 700€ I'll spend getting it (comes with a kit) when compared to the alternative, the Sony A3000. Sony's product is much cheaper (400€) and can pull off higher image quality, although it might perform worse in dark environments than the 700D due to the ISO and doesn't have as much features as the 700D.

Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance.
André

2 Comments

My advice is to spend at least the first six months of your film school experience learning what there is to learn (about equipment, about the craft, and most importantly, about yourself) before making an equipment purchase. If you buy something now, you'll either be stuck trying to justify your purchase (stunting your learning experience) or learning what a short-sighted and impulsive decision you made (stunting your budget to make a better, more informed choice).

If you were asking advice on what to buy as an alternative to going to film school, that's a different thing entirely. But since you are going to film school, give yourself a chance to learn, and then strengthen that learning experience with an informed purchase.

September 10, 2015 at 4:44AM

I see. Thanks for the reply!

André Carvalho

September 10, 2015 at 7:34AM

Your Comment