March 27, 2016 at 9:00AM

Panasonic G7: 4k to 1080p, codec and color grading.

Hi everyone. I want to know if the 4k 4:2:0 > 1080p 4:4:4 thing in the Panasonic G7 is real, and how does it compete with other cameras at the same price in terms of codec, bitrate and color grading capabilities without degrading the image. Greetings!

11 Comments

It is technically possible (http://www.eoshd.com/2014/02/discovery-4k-8bit-420-panasonic-gh4-convert...) but remember that the image is being re-built from over-sampling an 8-bit image (combining 4 pixels into every one, from an image that already trashes the color info for 3-out-of-4 pixels), so it's not going to be the same as capturing true 10-bit 4:4:4 in camera. It will reduce banding during extreme grading, give a better key for green screen, and will certainly produce a detailed 1080p image, but many of the image problems will persist that come from macro-blocking and a restricted 256-color workspace.
For the price it's a pretty good solution, however. Make note: No headphone jack and no body-only purchase option!

March 27, 2016 at 9:40AM

Hey, thanks for the answer! I get it, it was just what I need! However, I'm looking for that great budget camera to make my own indie films. Is the G7 a great deal for under 500 euro used? Every video I see is very sharp, detailed and able to use LUTS without noise or banding, but I'm not an expert in terms of codec, so I'm wondering if it is the best option. About no headphone jack, doesn't really make me worry, because I was about get a Zoom H1 or a H4n.

March 27, 2016 at 10:10AM

It's hard to say without knowing a lot more details, but you could certainly do worse. You're not going to get shallow depth of field like on larger sensor cams, and it's not good at low-light, so make sure you have lights or only shoot in daylight.
If you're ok with those limitations then it's probably a good choice to get started.

March 27, 2016 at 10:18AM

It is possible but the better road would be to record 4:2:2 with an external recorder first and then optionally convert. Experiment if the 4k recording with down converting to 1080p 4:4:4 is actually going to give you a better picture quality than recording 1080p 4:2:2.

March 27, 2016 at 11:13AM

Cary Knoop

Thanks for your answers! Shallow depth of field is not a problem, since I won't use it at the extreme and if I want I use telephoto. In low light is a bad performer? I think I watched comparisons and do well (at least comparing with my Canon T3i xD) The thing I'm interested in this camera is the ability to shoot flat 4k without noise until 1600 iso, with a lot of detail and great colours (all of this compared to my camera) is that good really? I don't need the ultimate RAW or the sharpest image in the world, just a tool that makes me the life easy, with a crisp good flat image out of the box, with the peaking and some other features extra like the 4k, to stabilize, digital zoom or downscale for more detail. Keep on telling your opinions and thoughs, they are useful for me :D

March 27, 2016 at 11:36AM

Other options I though about were: Sony a6000, Panasonic GH3/GH2 used for a bargain price, Sony A7 used. I think the real contender for video (without talking about autofocus, because I'm 0 interested) is the GH3 for his price used, but don't know, what do you think?

March 27, 2016 at 12:15PM

I don't know the answer to your original question, but I did read this thread
about using the Panasonic G7 with an Atomos Ninja Assassin. The guy
who started the thread has posted his results (stills) and his experiences (words).
Seems like an interesting option.

Check it out:
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/19124-panasonic-g7-atomos-ninja-assa...

March 28, 2016 at 8:32AM

Sean Bokenkamp
Animator

Thanks! I've alredy read it, very interesting. But I have something to announce, I've just picked a 5.000 shutter actions GH2 mint body with 14-42 lenses for 225 euro. The thing is to get the Pana 20mm 1.7 and other lens with the money I've saved up!

March 28, 2016 at 8:43AM

Just bought a used G7 for 350 dollar I can tell you that it was one hell of a bargain.
However, the colors aren't that good and the lack of shallow DOP can be problematic at times. But everything else about the camera, from the 4K to its pretty good low light capabilities I'm absolutely in love with.

EDIT: There is a LUT which both flattens the image and makes the colours appear more like if it was filmed with a BMPCC 4K.
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/3xzeqx/g7_cined_to_bm4k_lu...

March 29, 2016 at 9:44AM, Edited March 29, 9:47AM

If you already went with the GH2, you will be well served. Look up the Personal View website for some patches for it. I heard Lee Powell's Flowmotion patch is very good and stable.

Just one thing: you say the G7 has "the ability to shoot flat 4k without noise until 1600 iso". I own a G7, and can tell you that that's not true. At 1600 ISO, you'll always get a bit of noise, and if you shoot in Cinelike D (the flattest profile), you'll get very ugly noise in the darker areas of your image. You can get a very usable image out of it at 1600 ISO, but you'd be better off shooting on Natural profile (which isn't very flat), and you'd still have to denoise in post.

March 29, 2016 at 2:01PM, Edited March 29, 2:03PM

José Pedro Pinto
Wannabe

Right, I tried to say until 800. At 1600 it appears to be usable as you said, but right, flat + high iso in that camera = noise. I will hack my GH2 as soon as it arrives. Never have one in my hand, but guys, I watch videos where people use it in such a smart way they get the hell out of it. Don't know why, but the videos I prefer are shot with the Sanity patches, they get a lot of detail, sharpness and still good colors even if I rewatched Driftwood Moon t8, I still prefer that Sanity image.

March 30, 2016 at 3:38AM

Your Comment