August 11, 2016 at 5:17PM

So let's say you acquired $4,000...

Hey NFS!

Long time reader, first time poster. I was looking for some advice. First I should probably give my background.

I'm a recent college graduate who studied post production and motion graphics. I newly got a corporate job doing commercials and training videos for local banks. I'm wanting to do a little freelance work in my spare time, because honestly corporate work can be very repetitive.

Currently, I have a Canon SL1 with a 50mm, a 14mm, and the 18-55mm stock lens that came with it. In terms of equipment, I have a manfrotto tripod, slider, steadicam, and a shoulder rig. I was looking to get a new camera, but I know I also need more lenses as well. I recently got some money, and I would like to get some suggestions. I've been considering the GH4 and the Black Magic Pocket Camera, but I'm willing to listen. I would like to spend around $4k total for the camera and equipment, $5k at the very most, and that's pushing it.

4 Comments

Right now people are selling the Black Magic Pocket Cameras used like hot dogs for $500 and up because everybody is going UHD/4K!

Honestly I think people should now only invest in UHD/4K and up equipment but if you insist and want to get a 1080p deal get one of those BMPCs on the cheap but the resale value will be virtually zero in a year or two.

August 11, 2016 at 5:49PM

Cary Knoop

I was thinking about just buying one used and waiting until something better comes out! That's probably what I'll end up doing!

Brandon R.

August 12, 2016 at 5:12AM

The Panasonic GH5 should be announced very soon, probably before the end of September, and it will bring 2 more years of camera development since the GH4 came out, so I am expecting big things from this new camera.

Canon is also coming out with a Canon 5D Mk4 camera that you should also keep an eye on as it will bring new things to the table too.

As far as other gear goes, you first need to answer one big question...

What do you want to shoot and produce with your gear ?

August 11, 2016 at 8:52PM, Edited August 11, 8:53PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Oh good!

My plans are to do a few shorts and weddings. I would also like to pick up a few gigs, like music videos or advertisement for small businesses.

Brandon R.

August 12, 2016 at 5:14AM

Your Comment