October 27, 2015 at 1:41PM, Edited October 27, 1:58PM

Sub-$1250 Camera for stills first and film second

Hi all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

My question isn't very original, but I'm hoping you can help out. I stepped out of the photography game several years ago to focus on design work, and am now wanting to come back and dabble in short films. I am looking for a new/used DSLR that I can use for filmmaking, but can also do good stills.

I've been researching a ton about the Canon 5Dmkiii, 7Dmkii and the T2i...and see a bunch of mixed reviews, including ones saying to go toward the Samsung NX1 or the GH4. I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed and would love some clarity.

Here's my current camera gear:
• Canon 40D
GoPro Hero 3 Black
• DJI Phantom 2 Vision+
• DJI Osmo (arriving soon)

I'm leaning toward something Canon, just because I have a few lenses already and would rather not start from scratch. The 7Dmkii seems to be pretty nice, but it seems to get ripped here pretty bad. I'm perhaps a bit too snobby to go with the T2i, just because I'm not sure about the compact DSLR situation.

I would go with something Black Magic or whatever, but I'm thinking the Osmo will suffice for that realm for now...while I do require something that can do some decent stills.

So basically I want something that can do both fairly well...while staying in the $800-1250 range. Obviously, if it can be done cheaper by adding Magic Lantern or something...I'm very open to that as well.

Thanks everyone in advance!

4 Comments

Nothing wrong with the Canon 7D Mk2, but it might not be the best value. If you didn't already own Canon lenses then I would recommend one of the Nikon cameras that are great for still photos and very good for video work ( they are noticeably better than most Canon APS-C cameras for video, but not the Canon 7D Mk2 ), and cost a lot less: Nikon D5200, D5300, D7100, D7200 cameras

October 27, 2015 at 2:44PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Understood. Would you say that the majority of the complaints against the 7D Mk2 are because of the lack of innovation to it from the 7D or is it that it's truly lacking as a camera in general?

I'm not sure I'm desperate for 4K abilities, but I don't want to make a bad decision when it's obvious people weren't in love with the 7D Mk2. Further, if I can do the same things with something cheaper by adding Magic Lantern, I'm very open to that....as the Mk2 doesn't have a port for ML yet. Thanks!

October 28, 2015 at 3:33AM

Pick up a 7D! It's an AMAZING stills camera and you can get a body for $600 with a few accessories thrown in.

October 29, 2015 at 2:56AM

Zack Wallnau
Cinematographer & Tinkerer

To download paid apps for free a Getapk market apk download is a perfect destination.

May 18, 2018 at 8:10AM

Your Comment