November 6, 2014 at 3:09AM


What are these in-between shots called?

What do you call shots in a film that are just in passing from one scene to another.

Sometimes, they reveal the location. For e.g. you cover a wide shot of Times Square to show that the story is happening in New York.

Sometimes time. You fade in and then slowly fade out into a morning with birds chirping and the light breaking into the interiors of the house where the story is happening.

At other times, they are mean to lend pace or slow it down just to keep with the general feeling of the film. For .e.g you show a train rattling away on its tracks on an over-bridge.

Yet at other times, they are meant to depict an event that's not core to the story but important nevertheless.

For e.g. the protagonist waiting to board a train to commute to work. He's waiting, the train arrives. That's it. That's the 4 - 5 second shot. Then you cut to the him working at the office, which might be at the core of the story.


I would say that the 'wide shots' are called 'establishing shots' and the other type of shots you mention I call 'transitions'. Might be just me though!

November 6, 2014 at 3:19AM

aaron trinder

Establishing shots when they present information or set up a scene. [A wide of a school before cutting to a classroom]
cutaways when it's in the middle of a scene [during an argument the character looks out the window, cutaway of what they see.]
inserts when it's a part of the scene but inserted in the middle of another shot [Someone is writing a paper and then there's an insert of macro pencil on paper]

The scene you describe sounds like a scene to me. It might be quick but if it's 4-5seconds long, it's probably there for a meaningful reason, in my opinion.

November 12, 2014 at 9:25AM

Brandon Kelley

Your Comment