April 2, 2015 at 5:07AM

What is best camera for video around $1000

Hi,
I am currently looking at a camera for mainly video but still want photo capabilities (so I'm looking at a DSLR or mirrorles camera). I am happy to buy used if out of my price range.
I have looked at the canon 70d, Sony a7, Sony a6000 and the Samsung nx1.

I would like to have a mic input and as much manual control as I can get.

Thanks for any help/information its all greatly appreciated.

P.S
I'm really new here so if I've done something wrong.please let me know.

9 Comments

The cameras I would look at are...

Panasonic GH3
- No recording limit ( one take as long as your memory card and battery lasts )
- 3+ Hours of shooting per battery
- Very sharp video image
- High bit-rate recording
- Can use almost any lens ever made ( with the right adapter )
- Good audio ( with Mic input and Headphone output )
- Weather sealed body

GH3 Videos on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/groups/gh3users/videos/sort:likes/format:thumbnail

Nikon D5200 / D5300 / D7200
- Video moire is very well controlled ( unlike Canon APS-C cameras )
- Sharp video image
- Good dynamic range
- Excellent still-photo camera
- D7200 has mic input and headphone output
- D7200 has aperture control in Live-view mode

April 2, 2015 at 5:50AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Agree. Add to this that the GH3 is small and lightweight compared to the more heavy (and larger) Nikons.

Erwin Hartsuiker

April 5, 2015 at 1:35AM

How serious are you about the photography aspect? how much experience do you have?
because mirrorless is a little bit of an uncomfortable spot to take photos.
i personally separate the two. i just do not feel as comfortable looking thru an lcd. also silent and electronic shutters feels odd. its hard to get into a groove on a photoshoot.

April 3, 2015 at 6:07PM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

Over the past two years there have been quite a number of Canon Full Frame video shooters who have dumped their Full Frame gear and switched to the Micro 4/3 format ( mostly Panasonic GH3 and GH4 cameras ) because they were getting better results with the smaller format.

...At the same time there have been a few Full Frame still photo shooters, that have switched to shooting mainly with the Micro 4/3 format ( mostly the Olympus EM-1 camera ) because they are getting the same or better results with the smaller format.

Here are few links to check out...

Lindsay Dobson Switched from Canon FF to the Olympus EM-1 for Her Still Photo Work
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/micro-four-thirds-vs-full-frame/

Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape Fame on the "Full Frame Myth"
https://luminous-landscape.com/full-frame-myth/

Jordan Steele Compares Micro 4/3 to Full Frame Cameras
http://admiringlight.com/blog/micro-43-vs-a-full-frame-legend/

...If I only shot still photos, then I would probably switch to shooting with Olympus EM-1 cameras with a Nikon D810 camera for highly detailed commercial projects. ( right now I shoot mostly video with Panasonic GH3 and GH4 bodies, and will probably pick up the next generation Olympus EM-1 for still photography work )

Guy McLoughlin

April 4, 2015 at 5:51PM

I agree with Guy's recommendation of the GH3; it's well enough under $1000 to leave some room for buying memory cards and lens adapters within that budget.

The 70D and other Canon DSLRs in that price range tend to have kind of a mushy, not-quite 1080p image for video, but it's certainly good compared to what was available before the Canon video dslrs. Mirrored cameras are probably better for serious photography as Kazu mentioned, mostly for ease of use, although I'm pretty used to the electronic viewfinder on the GH4 and don't find it that much harder to work with than an optical viewfinder. My understanding is that the GH3's viewfinder is not as high quality, but I haven't used it in a while.

April 5, 2015 at 12:48PM

Philip Heinrich
Director, Producer

The GH4 EVF is better than the GH3 EVF which can look a bit smeary in the corners if your eye is not absolutely dead center.

I actually prefer an electronic viewfinder over an optical viewfinder because it's a lot brighter in low light and gives you way more info on camera settings.

Guy McLoughlin

April 5, 2015 at 2:54PM

I've owned the Nikon D3200 and D5200, and they both produce very good video for not a lot of money. They will give you the same or better quality as the 70D, just minus the autofocus, which the 70D is very good at. The D3200 just went on sale for $300 with the kit lens.

That said, I think you should look at the Samsung NX1.The price just came down to $1300 and if you buy it from Adorama, it comes with a free Rode Mic and memory card. The Samsung blows the 70D out of the water specs wise, and for not much more money. It also has auto-focus comparable to it, but it can do so much more, and has 4K.

If you just want shallow depth of field and a good image camera check out the Canon 6D, which just took a price drop, and you could pick up for around $1200. You can buy the $80 50mm Canon lens and have all the shallow DOF you want.

The Sony A7 was sort of pioneer camera, and not known for it's video capability.

April 5, 2015 at 7:12PM

Just wondering I've looked for the nx1 but couldn't find it with rode mic and memory card, could you please send a link to the bundle. Thanks

Marcus Cave

April 17, 2015 at 8:28PM

I have use the Panasonic FZ1000 on a shooting and it's a great all in one. It's cheap, it has 4k, good codec and gamma, easy to use, all the manual control but the automation are also working very well. For run and gun or news gathering I would definitly concider it !

April 6, 2015 at 8:49AM

AvdS

Your Comment