August 9, 2015 at 2:24AM

Where should I go from Canon 1100D?

I have a Canon 1100D dslr, which i have used for still photography for the past few years and I have a Sony handicam that I have been using for my video work. So naturally I want to combine the two. My research of other Canon Dslr's has not helped me very much as I have sadly limited knowledge of lenses, sensors and the like. I am also a stickler for good sound and would like to be able to plug in external mics via XLR.
Any advice on where I should go and what to get would be fantastic!

5 Comments

A camera with built-in XLR mic inputs is going to raise the price quite a bit.

The least expensive camera with a large sensor and XLR inputs would be the Canon C100 Mk1. ( but it doesn't shoot still photos, video only )

Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera Mk1 : $2,999
http://goo.gl/yQjUPG

Otherwise, you can use an external audio recorder with XLR inputs like the Tascam DR-60 Mk2, with a camera that produces a better video image than your Canon 1100D.

Tascam DR-60DmkII 4-Channel Portable Recorder for DSLR : $177
http://goo.gl/ZCGWWo

For camera choice a lot will depend on your budget. I would look at the following cameras if still photography and video is important to you...

Canon 7D Mk2, Canon 5D Mk3
Nikon D5200, Nikon D5300, Nikon D7100, Nikon D750, Nikon D810

I shoot mostly with a Panasonic GH4, which is great for video but not as strong for photography.

August 9, 2015 at 9:47AM, Edited August 9, 9:48AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hey thanks I've got a super small budget, but ill look into all that. Thanks again!

August 10, 2015 at 2:01AM

Nathaniel Moody
Student film maker

For a much lower price you could go with a Canon EOS 650D (T5i) 700D (T6i) or 70D. They are all in a under 1K price range. And for XLR you could go with the Tascam DR-60D Mk II or the DR-70D which are both recorders but you can connect them with your DSLR for recording (which is cheaper than using something like a Juicelink adaptor system which does not record).

April 5, 2016 at 10:19AM

Eric Halbherr
Director, DP, Editor, Creative Storyteller

If you are on a budget, I would look for a refurbished Nikon D5200. You can usually find the bodies for under 400. The pics looks great and the video is amazing. I shoot a lot of corporate video and commercial spots with one and love it. Small, vibrant, and easy to use. Snag a good 50mm for it for around 60 bucks and you will have some outstanding visuals.

As for audio, I use a Tascam DR40, they run around 150 and a whole host of different microphones. I just sync the audio in post and you're good to go.

April 5, 2016 at 4:50PM

Jay Kilburn
Production Manager

I would suggest you a different option: Sony A6000. To my eyes, it has better image quality in video and for still too. Advantages are: Small and light, great electronic viewfinder and screen, great image quality and codec, 1080p60fps in video 24mpx photos, E mount more versatile that EF mount. For the price I think you can't go wrong. I have to mention that I'm used a Canon 600D for the past 2 years.

April 7, 2016 at 7:13AM

Your Comment