Superproducer Ted Hope on...

September 1, 2011

This is Just Silly. Or is It? Movie Mount Turns iPad into Oversized Video Camera

This seems like a terrible idea. The iPad makes for the least ergonomic camcorder form factor: a big, flat slate. This hasn't stopped an iPad accessorizer by the name of Mayakama from creating a case for the iPad 2 that allows for an on-camera (on-iPad, really) light, shotgun microphone, lens attachments, and a proper tripod mount. Priced at $70, this seemingly Bad Idea actually makes a bit of sense when you watch the launch video:

If you're going to be doing your editing (with the iOS version of iMovie) and sharing (posting to YouTube, etc.) exclusively on your iPad -- meaning, your files aren't going to touch a traditional computer -- I can see how this could streamline web video production. What do you think, is this idiocy or something you might actually find useful?

Link: Makayama Movie Mount

Press Release

Movie Mount improves iPad2 video camera

Makayama today introduces the 'Movie Mount for iPad2', a unique piece of hardware which radically improves video capture with the iPad2. It turns the iPad2 into a complete studio. Use tele- and wide angle lenses, attach microphones and lights. Use a tripod for professional pan- and tilt movements, and much more. Comes with a free app.

With the Movie Mount, iPad2 users get 10 new features for the device:

Attached a tripod for stable shots, pan & tilt camera movements. Standard screwfitting.
Use 37 mm conversion lenses, such as wide angle and zoom*.
Slide on-the-fly between the built-in lens and the conversion lens.
Use shotgun microphones for better sound (requires splitter cable).
Use an optical viewfinder to shoot in bright sunlight.
Use a video light for better performance in low light.
Easier iMovie editing, with a 9 degrees working angle.
The mount allows your iPad to stand upright and be used as monitor.
The free Movie Mount iPad app allows you to manually control video recording
Fully compatible with Smart Cover.

Movie Mount is exclusively produced by Makayama and sold directly through our website. Lenses, tripod, microphone, lights etc. are not included with the purchase. Complimentary iPad app is free.

Production has started and pre-orders are taken as of today. First deliveries will begin October 2011. Pricing: $ 69.95 / EUR 49.95 EUR, including taxes and shipping worldwide.

[via Engadget]

Yes, i hear the difference between the internal mic and the external one - the external sounds like crap.

September 1, 2011

MarderFilm

Not that bad of an idea. it's camera+monitor at once on the cheap (if you already have an ipad)

September 1, 2011

maghoxfr

Funky. Hmmm...well there are definitely uses for it. It'd provide a really quick workflow for testing stuff out on the fly without having to cart around more gear.

September 1, 2011

If you have an iPad 2 it makes for a a great quick and simple video capture and editing tool. Higher quality video than a webcam, better sound capture, and it has a built-in high resolution monitor. At first I thought it seemed really silly, but after watching the video, it's not such a bad idea. Also for $70 it's not that bad, considering most camera / smartphone / DSLR accessories are very pricey.

September 1, 2011

Braden

I also think it would be a great tool for teaching introductory cinematography and editing skills to younger students.

September 1, 2011

Braden

Great educational tool!!

Why did the external mic audio sound funny?

September 1, 2011

Ajit

I think they made the unfortunate mistake of choosing a poor external mic. The built-in mic sounds just as good if not better, but I assume that's the mic's fault (BYOM).

September 2, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

What's the Ipad 2's sensor like? Will The Ipad 3 have full 1080p capability? If so it might be quite useful as a second camera as it should not take up too much room in a camera bag.

September 2, 2011

Fairly recently shot a feature length lo-fi BUFI movie (working title The Mole) using the 8mm app 960x720P. Whilst it worked for that project, it's not something I would necessarily choose to work with again (ie just the naked iPad 2).

I have since shot a BUFI Cinema Direct piece using the Samsung Zoom Q3HD with good results. This has prompted me to go full circle, and my next project will likely be shot with a more classical camcorder - the Panasonic SD900 and Nikon ME-1 mic.

In its current form I would also warn against anyone thinking of using the Fostex AR-4i with their iPhone - for a device that supposedly has a superior digital ADC than the inbuilt one, the noise floor is terrible, really really terrible (even using £500 microphones). Avoid.

Sorry for the off-topic ramble there!

September 2, 2011

This isn't a bad price point really - it could be a lot higher, but you do have to get the lenses and other stuff of course, but still, could probably get the lenses and this for about $100. Just have to have an iPad... I expect to see a lot of "Art" films, art-y because they were shot on and iPad.

September 2, 2011

Tyler F

I am really tired of all the cool things you can supposedly do with an ipad. Now you can even shoot movies with it. Hooray! Or you might as well use it as a cutting board for tomatoes in your lunch break.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things you can perfectly do with an ipad. But please stop telling me it can do everything. It can't. In the end it is just a big smartphone without the phone.

September 3, 2011

Heiko

My sister has an iPad 1 that I've used and I like it, but there's so many things you *Can't* do with it. It kind of annoys me how people make it look like the answer to everything. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Apple, there's just a lot of Apple fans out there who act like anything Apple produces is the best.

The cutting board idea is hilarious! Maybe you could market that and sell and accessory for the iPad! ;-D
Also I thought this was pretty funny: (http://osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/iboard-imat-ipad.jpeg)

September 3, 2011

Braden

C'mon, shooting with it would look just ridiculous!

Can you use Ipad2 as a filed monitor via HDMI? If so, then this mount could become useful.

September 3, 2011

ceptor

The problem is the ipad2 has a terrible camera in it! I wince at all photos and videos i've taken with mine. Yuck.
It would make a great field monitor if it were capable of standard inputs, and you didn't have to jailbreak it, and apple weren't control freaks with their hardware and software...

Good on him for an innovative product though. I'd rather put that $90 towards a better camera though

September 3, 2011

kyron

Well, I do use my iPad 2 to make videos, but I don't think serious videographers will really use it for that purpose. Would I buy a tripod for $70 to create better videos? Probably not; I did spend $5 for a framed picture stand that works just fine. I use the iPad to create videos for the same reasons that I many decades ago started my students in camera class with pinhole cameras; you learn new ways of seeing things and develop a grasp of the elements of working with light and composition and it's fun. But fine art photography? Not now.

September 4, 2011

semi-pro video blogger's dream?

September 4, 2011

I was thinking it may be a good tool for scouting, but then, may as well use your iphone 4 for that purpose. The size still of the ipad is unwieldy for this purpose I think. Mind you I cart around my ipad everywhere though...

September 8, 2011

Your site is really interesting to me and your topics are very relevant. I was browsing around and came across something you might find interesting. I was guilty of 3 of them with my sites. "99% of blog managers are committing these five errors". http://tinyurl.com/84ettp3 You will be suprised how simple they are to fix.

December 11, 2011

Got one today. Hmmm. Great idea, bad execution. Tripod mount is hard to get in, imposible to get solidly fixed. On table the mount is a bit unstable. All and all not very well executed. Ask me in a week or two again if you want to buy one. Mail me at hans at hanskeesom.com

March 6, 2012

Hans Keesom

How's the Makayama movie mount working out?

July 3, 2012

Dee

I think this is a great idea. I use my iPad3 as a second camera. Used with the Filmic Pro app on its 48mps setting, the iPad is capable of producing good quality video if your lighting is halfway decent.

August 7, 2012

Kieron

The iPad app no longer works with the Movie Mount program.
Does anyone know what the fix is for this
I am working with an iPad2

November 14, 2012

PastorMC

I've just tried one. There's a major design fault: the supplementary lens mount is made of soft plastic - that's including the 37mm thread! I destroyed the thread the first time I tried screwing a lens in. The tripod bush, however, is a metal insert, and is fine. I've made the lens mount serviceable by superglueing a 37mm twin-thread filter ring in, just to give me a metal female thread. Surely Makayama could easily have done the same?

That apart, it's good for the price. It's most useful to me as a means of attaching the iPad to a tripod/dolly. You can't shoot video with an IPad hand-held - the camera-shake is just too awful. The two cold- shoe mounts would also be useful if you wanted to attach an LED video light and/or a shotgun microphone (I don't).

Note re sound: the cut-out for the 30-pin socket is too small to allow for insertion of the Apple USB adapter - so you can't attach a mic or location mixer to record in stereo - not that I would ever have stuff hanging off the 30-pin on location, anyway! Also, plugging an external mic into the headphone socket requires a little adapter lead that's currently only available from the USA and costs about £25 plus about £15 postage to the UK! So I'm just sticking with the onboard mic for now.

I think its market is education, now that the iPad is fast becoming standard-issue kit for all purposes in schools. They won't spend budget on other equipment, if the kids can just do the job on their iPad. Plus it encourages good practice: as there's no optical zoom facility (digital zoom is awful), you have to frame your shot by moving yourself to the right place; this automatically means sound will acceptably match picture - so you don't really need external mics, anyway. No more BCU's with wide-shot sound! Also, it stops them zooming in and out all the time - because they can't.

The main difficulty with it is shooting outdoors in bright daylight - you can't see the screen. Maybe Makayama could come up with some kind of hood that clips into the shoe-mount?

May 22, 2013