Sony NEX-FS100 to Get Global Frame Rates with Free Firmware Upgrade
With all the news about the Canon C300 and RED SCARLET-X lately, it’s easy to forget that both of these cameras are out of the price range of most DSLR shooters. What many were looking for from either company was an announcement at the price point of the Sony FS100, which, though it has some ergonomic quirks, is a very nice camera for $5k. It looks like it will be getting nicer in early 2012, with a firmware update from Sony that makes it a global camera — adding PAL recording rates to the North American model (and presumably vice versa) — as well as some nice other free feature additions. Here’s the list of expected upgrades:
- Added 50Hz recording system (PAL): 1920×1080 50p, 50i, 25p and 1280×720 50p.
- Camera Profile (camera settings can be saved to and loaded from a memory card).
- Additional 4x and 8x Expanded Focus magnification: (with user selectable focus area).
- Selectable ISO or GAIN sensitivity display.
- Selectable Focus indication in FEET or METERS (E-mount lens only).
- Selectable Shutter indication as EXPOSURE TIME or SHUTTER ANGLE.
- Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and 1.66:1.
- Display ON/OFF button enables Zebra and/or Histogram overlay onto video output.
- Compatible with the new A-Mount to E-Mount adaptor, model LA-EA2. One push Auto-IRIS and Continuous 15-point, Phase-Detection Auto-Focus operation with most Alpha A-Mount lenses is available. Lens metadata is displayed onscreen and stored real time to image file.
- Improvement of zoom rocker operation (Selectable zoom speed).
- Dual Recording Mode enables simultaneous HD recording to its 96GB internal memory and memory card.
- Added 1920×1080 30p and 1280×720 60p recording modes.
- The EXPANDED FOCUS and HISTOGRAM buttons are now assignable keys.
- Added Last Scene Review feature.
- The Display ON/OFF button now also controls display of the Face Detection Box onto video output.
- Display ON/OFF optionally overlays Zebra and/or Histogram display onto video output.
[via Notes on Video]
- Sony Releases 4:4:4 S-Log Upgrade and New Firmware for F3 Camera
- Magic Lantern Firmware Now Available for Canon T2i/550D
- The Sony F3 Gets New Zoom Lenses and Another Stop of Exposure with Firmware Update