We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

January 31, 2012

Apple Adds Multicam Support (And a Way to Open Final Cut 7 Projects) to Final Cut Pro X

Apple today released an update to the controversial Final Cut Pro X, adding multicam support, advanced chroma keying, media relinking upgrades, and enhanced XML support. There's also a third party app that -- get this -- actually allows you to import Final Cut Pro 7 projects. FCPX is now at 10.0.3, and while I'm not sure this will make anyone give up their copy of 7, it's a step in the right direction (and a significant upgrade for current X users). Here are the details:

Here's Apple with the new version capabilities:

"In the seven months since launch, the third party ecosystem around Final Cut Pro X has expanded dramatically," the company said in a statement. "XML-compatible software like DaVinci Resolve and CatDV provide tight integration for tasks such as color correction and media management. The new 7toX app from Intelligent Assistance uses XML to import Final Cut Pro 7 projects into Final Cut Pro X. In addition, some of the industry’s largest visual effects developers, including GenArts and Red Giant, have developed motion graphics plug-ins that take advantage of the speed and real-time preview capabilities of Final Cut Pro X."

It's interesting that Apple is relying on a third party application (7toX) instead of building it into their own "Pro" application, but something is better than nothing. Are there any X editors out there getting a hands-on with this new version, or are any 7 editors swayed by these new features?

Link: Apple Final Cut Pro X Software Update 10.0.3 - Apple

[via AppleInsider]

Looks like some great new features to me. For you pro editors out there, what's still missing?

January 31, 2012

You gotta be shitting me...

February 2, 2012

What's missing? OMF export. Dual or tri-monitor workflows. Working in multiple sequences. Not having the thing crash. Not having the urge to go on a homicidal rampage.

I'm honestly checked out of the entire FCPX conversation until it's at least 10.1, and most likely 10.2. I don't know a single pro editor who thinks FCPX is anything but a colossal mess-- and I know an awful lot of editors.

January 31, 2012

I will second that sentiment on behalf of my editorial department here too. FCPX is still playing catch-up and not worth the time or effort, they should have released it when it was ready.

MRH

ProRes is the only thing keeping a lot people from jumping ship right now.

February 2, 2012

chris

For people who haven't jumped ship because of their dependency on Pro-Res, this shouldn't be an issue. There are Pro-Res workflows for Adobe Premiere CS5 onwards - as long as you have the ProRes codec installed on your machine. It won't appear as a preset when you start Premiere but you just set up a custom profile. A complete workflow is shown here: http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2011/08/a-prores-workflow-end-to-end.html ...And for those who don't have FCP7 or FCPX installed to give them those, the cheapest way to get it is to buy Motion 5 from the App Store for £34.99. Then Premiere CS5 (and probably other editing software) will allow you to edit and export in all flavours of Pro-Res. Your ship awaits... :)

February 2, 2012

gwf

I would also add that Avid MC6 has added ProRes workflow (not AMA, actual prores mxf media files).

February 3, 2012

FCPX has dual-monitor workflows. I've used them.

Sam

David,

Sadly I agree, there's no way I would edit anything serious on FCP X but the kicker is that the color correction/slow mo is the best for someone like me that doesn't have twixtor or Da Vinci. (can't get xml into Vinci from premiere)

My current workflow is edit it in Premiere cs5.5 and then grade the project in fcp x... yes I do have to cut every single clip again but it's worth it.

Really excited about the fcp 7-fcp x app because then I can do all my organizing/editing in fcp 7 and throw it onto fcp x without having to cut every single clip again.

Just posted a quick slow mo tutorial, check it out if you're curious- http://artofthestory.com/?p=1156

January 31, 2012

Austin, I'm confused. I have PPro CS 5.5 and can rountrip to Davinci all day long!

January 31, 2012

I also do XML round trip from Premiere it all the time, also regularly round trip AAF. Since version 8.1 Resolve Lite blows everything out of the water... and for free too !

February 3, 2012

My crew and I have continued to edit in FCP 7 for most of our editing needs. I think the whole botch up by the FCP re-boot has sent a lot of workflows heading to the Adobe CS5.5 world.

I will say that when all this gets sorted out, I'm sure FCP X will be a powerful system... It's just a matter of how long that will take.

February 1, 2012

Sorry folks ... but working on Avid or Premiere Pro is still far away from the new era that Apple walked in with FCPX. Apple did had the courage to change everything. And Apple is not focusing at the old school editors ...they look ahead. It's the man or woman behind a tool, not the tool itself that counts. I admit, it was a shock, working with FCPX but now it's far more comfortable to work with and damn, so easy and logical that you forget Avid or Premiere Pro. FCPX is still young software ... give it some time... FCP 1 wasn't what the latest FCP8 became. It took years. Here, with FCP X it only will take a year to get all the wanted features. Another example: Motion 5. So cheap in price ... but so strong in possibilities. I followed a course in After Effects ... but Motion is far more creative and amusing to make motion graphics. Straight, simple but yet intelligent. I still believe in Apple and its software. Because Apple is a creative company and a little rebel ... fortunately ... because in a couple of years, Avid and Premiere Pro will look very old school and slow. Nowadays the weight of expensive production companies will change ... professional creative people will make the same things on a standalone application. Why ? Due of economic reasons. And computers will be faster to render impressive results. And yes .. the price of FCPX and Motion 5 .. heavenly low priced ... Avid and Premiere too costly. Again ... economic reasons will force every company to change. At the end, you make the same nice edits with FCPX and Motion 5 but a lower production cost. But, still have fun with Avid and other software besides Apple.. because there are more concerns in the world than talking about the good and the bad of software, I thing. Greetings from Belgium, Europe.

February 2, 2012

Dimitri

Nothing to see here. Moving on.

February 4, 2012

Wilbert Thomas

I've been editing some client interviews for my company with FCPX and what took an hour or two last week I just recreated in about 20 seconds. The new multicam is pretty awesome. I haven't had a chance to test out the other features yet though.

John S

That's funny, because I had the exact opposite experience : what would have taken me less than a second in FCP7 took me about 30 seconds to try and figure out in FCPX, sometimes without success.

Jeremy

Thats because you know how to do it already in FCP 7... allot of the things people are complaining about in this thread are very possible in FCPX... you just dont know how yet. Once you can confidently say you know the program as well as you know FCP7 and it still is unable to do what you need then complain. I teach both programs at American University and honestly allot of the changes were simply lost in communication, not lost altogether as allot of people tend to think.

Felix

Are chapter markers available yet in FCP X? I need them for my customers DVD's.

Rogelio

Even without DVDSP?

February 3, 2012

Alec

You can add chapter markers in Compressor if you still have DVD SP. The recent update to that makes all markers chapter markers by default.

February 4, 2012

Ditto what David said. There's no way I would ever attempt to use it on a professional job until it proves to be more than just a flashy version of iMovie with an over-overhauled interface. Still, I'm curious enough to try it.

Justin G

FCP X is not, and has never been, "a flashy version of iMovie". It's always had features that only professionally care about, and they keep adding more. It's unhelpful when people feel the need to maintain their initial rage, repeating things like "no dual monitor workflows" when that was solved in 10.0.1, months ago.

If you want to find reasons not to use a piece of software, go ahead. Apple can't please all the people all the time. But with the features added back today, there are fewer reasons than ever to stay away. Herd opinion isn't always right.

January 31, 2012

How about they release a new Mac Pro? Update their HCL for other graphics cards? Make a public attempt at winning back the professional crowd? People are jumping ship because FCP 7 is crippled due to advancing technology/lack of updates, and FCP X simply was not ready for a pro market. When you can get a Window's machine with a CUDA-enabled card, DaVinci Lite, CS 5.5 (half price when switching from FCP), and the ability to boot into OSX in a pinch (albeit with some foresight in building) at half the price of a competing product, there is no reason to refresh your workstations with a Mac workflow to accommodate FCPX. Done and done.

February 2, 2012

chris

The "Apple doesn't care about the Mac Pro" line is getting really tired. Intel haven't released an update to the workstation-class chip that the Mac Pro uses. Competitors (like Dell) haven't released new workstations either. Apple can't update unless it shifts down to consumer platforms. It's not that Apple doesn't care about the Pro users, it's that Intel hasn't prioritised them.

If there was an "xMac" (lower end more configurable Mac) we'd have had a faster one already. And despite the wallet appeal of a Hackintosh, they're not and will never be 100% compatible. Not interested. Most users didn't need to update their Macs to support FCP X anyway (only a few older cards aren't supported) and those are in older Mac Pros that can upgrade easily enough.

February 2, 2012

The hard truth is Apple now make consumer gizmos. And it's why it is such a successful business.
The "Pro" market has and always will be niche and there's not enough money to be made.
As for competitors not releasing new hardware - after almost 20 years I ditched my own personal Mac and went HP Z Series for all the reasons stated by chris.

FCP7 is still more than competent and will be usable for a while to come, but FCPX is too flaky now and running on hardware that is fine but will only become more and more outdated.

We've gone back 10 years and the only truly bomb proof, progressive pro system is Avid. All the others are fine and I could churn out as good an edit on iMovie, Movie Maker or any other NLE, but if I had to absolutely, positively, on pain of death get something on screen and on time Avid would be the only one I'd trust. Which is why you pay top dollar and not $99.

February 2, 2012

altnetid

For the Digital Content, FCPX is really a blessing. Don´t worry about Codecs. Don´t worry about Clip Collisions. Just edit as if you would always wanted it. That´s my opinion. Though, I still need to use FCP 7 because of a plug in that don´t exists yet for FCP x … hopefully soon. If it´s out - FCPx: I am Yours! :)

January 31, 2012

Thank you for knowing a lot of editors. that really validates your point. Though I don't have an answer for your homocidal rampages, FCPX does indeed have multiple monitor workflows, it has always had multiple sequences (which actually work better than fcp7) and OMF export can be achieved through automatic duck's free plug-in. Because you still haven't figured these out, it really makes your point only seem more homocidal than valid. Also, Because you know "Pro" editors doesn't mean others like myself and many other "Pro" editors whom I also know don't think FCP X, granted it isn't fully there yet, is a game changer.

simma' down

Thank you. So tired of the same lame arguments for months now coming from "pros" who've never even learned the software. I was a big FCPX hater upon its launch but since 10.02 update and now todays 10.03 I'm actually excited about editing software again. This is a deep NLE with features that are very advanced and very cool - I think the foundation has been laid we're gonna start seeing a lot high end usage very soon.

Lance B

I got fcx when it first came out and fell in love with it!...... then it started freezing...over and over and over again. Now Id rather rip my eyes out and stick them in my ass than use it. If they can fix the freezing and crashing.. maybe, just maybe, I'll go back and use it.

Jordan

I am a wedding SDE editor...we make money off it..I think that passes up as professional job..and our workflow have never been easier and faster since we started using Final Cut Pro X. This is an amazingly speedy NLE and I wont trade anything in place of it! Now that we have multicam, and Sapphire edge, and MB Looks...the reasons why I still need other programs have been steadily decreasing. With Apples rich developer community..I think this will become the most highly supported (plug-in wise) NLE by a mile within the year. Go stay with your pPros and Avids..let the rest of us have all the fun and speed in editing with FCPX.:)

quobetah

Well put. I find FCPX to be the fastest and most fun to use NLE ever. I hear of crashes but I haven't had a single crash now in over 2 months. I'm running LION on an old 2.1 Mac Pro with ATI 5770 - works better than ever.

Since you mention plug-ins you might want to check out Tonalizer. This is the best color timing plug-in I've ever used and has great sharpening and noise reduction features - love it!

Lance B

When employers start requiring that I know it to get a job, then I'll bother with it. Until then...

moebius22

February 4, 2012

Wilbert Thomas

Same old grumpy, conservative, old videographers and talentless professionals that hate on X.

I think its incredible, and every young bright visual artist swears by it. 7 was so complicated. X is initiative, visually appealing, and focuses on your ideas and creativity and not technical bullshit.

Its the best. It makes film an art again, and thats something the current stagnant community hates

John Jeffreys

Apple marketing could use you.

moebius22

thanks for the name calling

February 1, 2012

BTW you forgot to include me: "apple hater"
you're welcome

February 1, 2012

I own a 2012 Macbook Pro. Even my Apple fanboy, Apple certified professor says it's not ready.

moebius22

2011

moebius22

There is a free trial. Instead of relying on received opinion, you could grab the trial, run through some free online tutorials, and see if you like it. Even without the trial, watch this grading tutorial and see if you still think it's a toy.

(The recent update also improved this, as you can now adjust the color pucks numerically.)

February 4, 2012

Wow, quite a mixture of opinions, which doesn't surprise me. For those with crashing and freezing problems with FCPX, I'm curious how many of you specifically are running Lion? I have a feeling Lion is the problem not FCPX. I run Leopard and do not have any issues with crashes.

Robert T.

I'm running Lion and have never had a single crash with FCPX or Lion. I'm currently cutting Pro RES HQ feature film with no issues, love it.

Lance B

@ John, your right nothing creative was ever done with FCP 7, only old people used it, it took people with an IQ of at least 140 to learn it. You have simply fallen into the ditch an the other side of the road you are bitching about. These are just tools. THere are a lot of workflows that FCP X will not make the cut. But there are people, real professionals that it is the prefect tool. Find what works for you but don't think for a minute that the old grumpy conservative professional cannot cut on anything that is put in front of them.

Michael

im just noticing a trend among the types of people that complain about, and resist change.

John Jeffreys

thats awesome that multicam got added, I think fcpx may have a future for professionals down the line, but I'm currently not going to use it because its a web editor program. Though I do edit for the web, I like most of us am trying to eventually edit for tv and film and learning final cut x can't really help me get there.

Plus no native support for R3Ds, thats a 2012 no no.

Ryan

Nonsense. It's not a "web editor program". Sure, you can output to web, but you can send a digital file anywhere, even back to tape with the tools that came from the HW card supplier. Built-in 4K support, Roles, broadcast monitoring, and decent multicam are not consumer features.

Learn to edit, don't just learn an NLE.

February 1, 2012

dude, be real. No one is going to transcode R3ds to baked 4k prores to work in final cut x. Why would you when premiere and avid work with it natively and you can adjust and load RMD data.

And I never said anything about it being a consumer editing software. You can edit professionally for the web guy. But if you need to export xml, edl, or omf, (MOVIES) files or you need to set up a network (TV) then final cut x doesn't work YET.

Ryan

RED support is missed, and will likely come soon, but RED isn't the only option for generating 4K video. Alexa shoots to ProRes, natively supported in FCP X. I don't deal with RED files often, but I would happily transcode for a small, occasional job.

Also, FCP X does have export options. The new 10.0.3 specifically improved the XML export, and now there's a 7toX tool, an Xto7 tool, and another tool (XtoPro) for AAF export coming soon. (REF: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/review-fcp-x-1003-update). Even before this release, the Automatic Duck tools allowed pro audio export.

Finally, the new file-level media relinking tools do allow a more traditional online/offline workflow. It's not all locked down.

February 2, 2012

This is long overdue but great site you guys! I've been following nofilmschool.com since 2010 (not long for you NFS fans) and have loved this site's appeal towards the inner filmmaker in all of us. I'm experimenting with Premiere, Final Cut Version 7 and now Final Cut Pro X. I'm actually really new to all of this so all of the recent updates are great tidbits of information for me and any other rookie filmmaker. I really like the latest version of Final Cut (V. 7) but at the same time I don't mind working with Final Cut Pro X since I've barely had any experiences on either format. Premiere rocks as well. I'm constantly flipping back and forth between the programs to see what works well for me and to be honest...they all do. I know your guys are professionals and are actually really inspiring but from an amateur's POV without years of editing Final Cut Pro X works pretty well too. It may look like an advanced version of iMovie but as long as we make movies from it then it shouldn't be too bad. Sure it may not be for you guys but it's a great tool for the little guys like me. Of course I'm still messing around without programs, can't be caught up with only one right? Anyway keep up the great comments and awesome website! This is the reason why I keep coming back.

By the way NFS, could you go back to the days of DIY articles. I miss the DIY rigs, cages, etc...those articles really got people inspired to go out and film. Budget is an issue and any help on creating cool contraptions from home will always lure new filmmakers here!

Moises H.

The way Apple works with all of their products is to not release a feature until its ready, like with the iPhone and cut/copy/paste. They prefer to come up with the most elegant and intuitive way of doing this without having a stopgap. This is fine for consumer phones, people can be distracted by the missing functionality by the shiny interface and other bells & whistles. Unfortunately, this doesn't work so well where people have to use the tool for work... I'm sure Apple will get there eventually with FCPX, but they've burnt many bridges along the way...

Pages