March 14, 2012

Stedi-Shot DSLR Trigger: Easily Start/Stop Your DSLR from a Shoulder Rig

I've always been a fan of ingenious designs that are DIY and require some screws and some glue. I know many of you felt that sense of accomplishment when you built that wooden dolly with skateboard wheels and PVC pipe - some of you are still building them (hint: they work!). But thanks to planet5D and Michael Carey we've got an interesting Kickstarter project that is DIY at heart and solves the issue of having your camera on a rig, but needing a way to start/stop it without taking it off your shoulder or moving it.

Here's the trigger in action and the setup required:

The Kickstarter video. If this were a test, I'd have to take off a few points for the aspect ratio - it's a small detail but it's important when running any campaign to put your best foot forward.

Here's a summary from the Kickstarter campaign:

• The Stedi-Shot is a bracket that the camera sits on that holds a cable release that is aligned with the start/stop button on the back of the camera. By using the cable release to activate the start/stop button there is no shaky footage caused by pushing the button. It is that simple.
  • Also there are 3 types of trigger releases that fit industry standard 15 mm and 1/2 inch rods. And also for Zacuto type shoulder rigs. I am currently working on trigger releases that fit more shoulder rigs.
  • The STEDI-SHOT is completely made out of solid aircraft aluminum that is cnc machined. It is then anodized with a protective coating.
  • The STEDI-SHOT is manufactured and assembled in the USA.

What do you guys think? I've seen plenty of DIY rigs put together with screws, pipes, and glue. I haven't seen an ingenious design that solves a somewhat annoying problem - being able to start the camera on your shoulder and stop it just as easily. The price is another matter - with the cheapest option on Kickstarter standing at $60 - shipping included for US customers (an extra $10 if you're in Canada and $20 if you're international). For some people this is essential, for others, $60 just might put it outside of your price range - and it'd be easier to just deal with the inconvenience of moving the camera or taking it off your shoulder, and have a few seconds of useless footage.

Link: Stedi-Shot DSLR Trigger - Kickstarter

[via planet5D)

It's a cool little gadget, but at 80 bucks kind of defeats the purpuse... when I can with Magic Lantern make the camera start and stop recording with the half shutter button, so I can start/stop recording with any cheap remote trigger...

Still cool thoug

March 14, 2012

Victor

If this had come out a year or so ago it might have had some traction in the market but why bother with this when Manfrotto is soon to release their new controller that can attach to either a rig or a tripod pan handle?

March 15, 2012

Neil

I think it's a fine idea - the price point is just off. It needs to be under $30 for it to be considered over a more costly, but capable device, like the Manfrotto devices.

March 15, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I love this idea as well but I agree the price point is to high. With the right CNC shop you should be able to get the cost down. Parts are always cheaper the more you buy and when you purchase in the thousands of pieces range the price comes way down. Does the frame fit other DSLR's like the Nikon D7000 or did you only make it to fit Canon. If the mount can be adjusted to fit other Cameras would help as well. You could also look to making this in plastic rather than aluminum may get you in the $20 range.

March 15, 2012

Seems pretty expensive for a kickstarter project.

Also, not sure why you would include a hex key if it is required only once. Why not avoid the hex key all together and use a cheap thumb screw? They can be had at your local hardware store for 30cents.

What about cable management? Are we forced to have that cable dangling all over the place?

It is dumb that they didn't create a modular one that doesn't require the manufacturer to make a new mount for each camera....

Finally, why would you pull with your middle finger to start/stop? It makes more sense to re-position it so that your are pressing with your thumb.

March 15, 2012

John

Switronix has a FLEX dslr remote I picked up a year or so ago which does the same thing but uses the IR on the camera. It's a bit more at about $100ish on B&H. I guess this is a mechanical approach to it, but rod trigger mount may limit usage. If it just was a clamp, it would be better.

March 15, 2012

Rich

$60 is a bit high, not bad though and I'd gladly pay it...if he had one for the GH2!! The record button is my number one pet peeve with that camera after switching from Canon - it's so awkward.

March 15, 2012

It's crazy they didn't make done for the GH2, I saw this setup already by a diyer its cool to be able to buy it for cheap.

March 15, 2012

Haqi

It's a neat little solution, but it sort of feels late. I think it's safe to assume that all DSLRs released from now own are going to have video start/stop integrated with the shutter release, letting you use a conventional trigger. This is nice for current-gen cameras, but may not be useful for long.

March 15, 2012

Rabi

What??? No GH2, people don't respect the greatness of the GH2.

March 15, 2012

Haqi

I second Victor. I'm running Magic Lantern on my 550D and using the half-shutter option using a wired remote is a much cheaper way. Plus all the amazing features Magic Lantern unlocks.

March 16, 2012

Jake

@Joe: Sadly the project is not seeing much momentum.
What is your take on this, hardly been any noise around this..

March 17, 2012

Archie

There are so many DIY or machined stabilizers out there. To me, it's really got to perform, and it doesn't look like the MicroSteady does - those test shots swayed back and forth a lot more than I'd hoped. It seems like more of a product you would use for short movements - not really for walking with someone.

March 17, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Seems like an easy way to take advantage of the amateur filmaker that doesnt quite undertand the consept of not starting action until after you've hit record or stopping recording after the cut. I hope they make loads of people who just dont get it.

December 11, 2013