AJA Announces the Ki Pro Quad, a 4K RAW/Quad HD/2K/HD Recorder for $4,000
AJA is making some big news at NAB, as they just announced the Ki Pro Quad, a 4K recorder that takes the best features of the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini, and adds 4K RAW support. Canon is working closely with AJA to support the 4K C500 camera, and they were showing it off connected to the KPQ at their booth. AJA has finally added a reference monitor with playback, so you can be sure that you are actually recording when you hit the button on the Ki Pro Quad. I had a chance to talk with Andy Bellamy of AJA about the KPQ, and embedded below is a video showing the device and the conversation I had with Andy.
Here are the initial specs from AJA's website on the Ki Pro Quad:
- 4K/Quad HD/2K/HD Solid State Video Recorder
- Supports 10-bit 4:4:4 and 10-bit 4:2:2
- RAW support
- Debayer and ProRes encode to on-board SSD
- Realtime pass-through of RAW data via Thunderbolt™
- Uncompressed and debayered 4K monitoring output
- Dedicated HD monitoring via SDI and HDMI
- Record to edit-friendly 4K, 2K, or HD ProRes files on removable SSD media
- Offload ProRes files to your non-linear edit system via AJA Thunderbolt™ SSD reader
The Ki Pro Quad should be available sometime this year for the low price (compared to other 4K recorders) of $4000. It's great to see more manufacturers beginning to support 4K pipelines because if the industry wants to move there, then we need solutions that are not costly.
Link: AJA Ki Pro Quad