Band Pro Announces the NewFinder EVF: a 1920 X 1080 Viewfinder for Digital Cinema Cameras
Band Pro has teamed up with Astrodesign to make a 1920 x 1080 Electronic Viewfinder. We’ve already talked about what might be the future for small EVFs, but for now, we’ve got this monstrosity weighing in at 3 pounds. Though many of us won’t be able to afford this when we actually find out the price, it will be a fantastic rental and it’s a good sign that high-resolution EVFs at affordable prices are just around the corner.
Here is a quote from Band Pro describing the EVF:
The base model uses an Analog connection to keep delay to one frame or less. The model to be shown at NAB will utilize an interface cable that plugs directly into the Viewfinder Output from cameras like the F65, F35, and F800 among others. Future options will include swappable cables that offer direct connections to ARRI, RED and Phantom digital cameras. A model that includes Analog and HD-SDI inputs is also planned for the near future.
These are some of the basic specs:
- 1920 x 1080 LCOS Screen
- 1920 x 1080/50i, 59.94i, 60i – 1920 x 1080/29.97p/sF, 30p/sF - 1920 x 1080/23.98p/sF, 24p/sF, 25p/sF - 1280 x 720/50p, 59.94p, 60p
- Analog YPbPr 20-pin connector, HD-SDI will be added
- Aspect Ratio: 1.78 / 1.88
- Crop Markers: Center / Frame / 1.78:1 / 2.35:1 / 1.85:1
- Future software upgrades will enable additional markers for 4:3, as well as 1.33x and 2x anamorphic.
- Delay of one frame or less
- Smooth Mode with 2x display to remove jutter while panning
- Weight: 3 lbs.
It’s large and it’s heavy, but for digital cinema cameras this is going to be as high-end as you’re going to get. While performance remains to be seen, it boasts a higher resolution than the EVFs of RED, Sony, and Arri – so that’s saying something. Once the HD-SDI version is released it will be compatible with all cameras without needing a special cable, but until then, it looks like you’ll need a separate cable for each of the camera. The full release will happen at this year’s NAB, and at that point they may announce a price.
Below are a few more photos of the device, and a picture with it attached to the F35.
Link: Band Pro NewFinder EVF