May 25, 2012

Say Goodbye to Moire and Aliasing on the Canon 7D with This Filter from Mosaic Engineering

Not too long ago a company called Mosaic Engineering surprised the DSLR world and came out with a filter that greatly reduced the aliasing and moire patterns on the Canon 5D Mark II. Installation was relatively straightforward, and the only major drawback was that super-wide lenses could appear very soft, especially in the corners. Now they've released a similar filter for the Canon 7D, and as you can see from the video embedded below, it will work in much the same way. They are also developing a filter for the Nikon D800, which has similar moire problems as the 5D Mark II, even though I haven't really noticed it too much in my testing.

Thanks to Sebastian over at cinema5D for the link. Below is a test video with the VAF-7D filter installed on the Canon 7D:

The VAF-5D2 filter, made for the 5D Mark II, has been available in their store for some time and will run you $385, and the new VAF-7D is also available at a price of $325. Compared to the price of the camera, the 5D filter is a slightly better value, but obviously if moire is something you're dealing with on a daily basis, the price isn't really an issue. In addition to the D800 filter, Mosaic Engineering also has a version in the works for the Canon T2i, Canon T3i, and Canon 60D. It might be a pain to have to install a filter, but it's a lot better than a moire pattern completely ruining your footage.

It should be noted that the filter is installed while the mirror is up, so you will only be able to take still photos in Live View mode. This modification does not affect anything else about your camera, and it can be removed fairly easily.

Link: VAF-7D - Mosaic Engineering Store & VAF-5D2 - Mosaic Engineering Store

[via cinema5D]

That looks awesome! Will be investing in one for my t2i when it's developed.

May 25, 2012

TehRandax

The filter for the 60D and T3i better be cheaper.

May 25, 2012

tungah

Why?

May 25, 2012

Alec

I've never had an audience or viewer complain about or notice moire, ever. It occurs in everyday real life vision (ever looked at a screen door?) and while I do take steps to avoid it in my shots, when it does occur, its not that big of a deal. Most of the "problems" with it come from internet complainers. ALIASING on the other hand...

May 25, 2012

john jeffreys

It's all over the place in iRobot

May 25, 2012

Aaron

And in Johansson's belt in Avengers :-S

May 31, 2012

James

I've seen some video tests and it seems to work really well. It is a bit soft on the edges of wide angle lenses though. But still dope. wish it was a tad cheaper too.

May 25, 2012

Wouldn't this filter for the 7D work on the 60D and T3i as is since they share the same cropped sensor and lenses? Or is there a difference?

May 25, 2012

RickT

Ha ha...say goodbye to what little resolution the 7D has.

May 31, 2012

Skeptikal

Doesn't this exist in real life?

Why not work on a filter that reverses the backwards spinning wheels on a car?

I find that most unusual.

Rachel

June 9, 2012

Rachael

very, very expensive

June 14, 2012

Wilson

I am sceptical by nature, and after reading comments and reviews did not think I needed one of these. But I had no idea how much the aliasing was affecting my images until most of it was gone. Highly recommended. Quality problems I thought were mostly related to my limited skills are gone. The images just look creamier. The moiré I would sometimes get was annoying, and why I bought this filter, but I could get around that by not shooting things that caused it. The aliasing was something I knew was there but I didn't realise that it was causing the majority of my 'video-itis'. This filter and the Magic Lantern alpha have turned me from a terrible cameraperson into a passable one and the images grade and sharpen much more easily. One thing I didn't know was that the false sharpening of the aliasing was causing the images to hit the stops, highlight wise. I now seem (don't know how true it is) to have more lattitude. If I sound like I'm gushing it's because this product makes me feel like I have a new camera. it's not 100%, and it's not perfect but the difference IS night and day. For me, anyway.

December 9, 2012

jayzed

That's due to framerate. No filter needed.

November 20, 2013