Superproducer Ted Hope on...

May 5, 2012

JAG35 at NAB 2012: a $1300 Wireless Follow Focus, Friction Follow Focus, RED Rig, and Slider

JAG35 makes one of the cheapest wireless follow focuses in existence. Now they've improved upon their design and made the entire system much more durable. They also are introducing a clever follow focus that is friction based for newer lenses, but doesn't have to be mounted to the side like many other friction-based follow focuses. I talked with Jehu Garcia from JAG35 and he introduced those products, as well as a custom RED Scarlet/Epic rig and a new slider they are developing.

Jehu Garcia from JAG35:

The one big complaint about the JAG35 wireless follow focus has been the excessive noise. This has greatly been reduced, but if you watch the video, it is still much louder than a lot of other similar products out there. For the money though ($1300 for the one motor kit, $1800 for two), if you really need one, and your camera and sound will be more than a foot away from your talent, it's a great option. The friction follow focus is a really interesting design, and I have to say that it was very responsive when I was using it, and if I wasn't looking, I would think it was a traditional fully rigged follow focus. Many other fiction designs mount the knob off angle to the camera, but this design keeps it parallel to the lens, which is absolutely essential for a real working environment.

If you're looking for cheap rigs, JAG35 definitely has them. It also seems that they are getting into more high-end gear as they grow as a company - like their RED-specific rig, which looks good, but is likely out of the budget range of many of their consumers.

Link: JAG35

Wow, still incredibly noisy with v2 - those sound waves sounded like they were in competition with the crowd. I'd rather wait for the RedRock one.

May 5, 2012

I don't think you can judge the noise of a FF by a video like this. There were complaints about the V1 being noisy, but just looking at the video it doesn't sound any louder than an M-One motor on a Bartech & those are pretty quiet.

May 12, 2012

Daniel Mimura

Well having been next to it, I can tell you that this guy was pretty loud, and the Redrock microRemote motor was practically silent in comparison.

May 12, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Weird price point for that kind of product. People in the market for wireless follow focuses are definitely looking for quality first, if the price point is that low you have to wonder.

May 5, 2012

Ryan

No hard stops?

May 5, 2012

You can set the wireless follow focus to have hard stops, but the friction follow focus, like most follow focuses out there, does not have hard stops.

May 5, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I question their motor's pulling ability b/c they use such a big gear...my guess is that they use such a big gear because the motor isn't really strong enough. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me like it would make it more difficult tightening the gear to the lens this way.

If it runs off of 3v, I *really* question if it's strong enough, especially for PL mount lenses. I know he said its strong enough, but I remain skeptical until I hear real world results.

May 12, 2012

Daniel Mimura

I picked up a friction follow focus. Didn't work at all -- it failed to drive the lens. It could be that the example I have is faulty (seems likely), but basically there is no gear system, the back of the white disc on the knob drives the rubber wheel directly by friction, and on my example at least there wasn't enough friction between the disc and the wheel to drive the lens -- manually turning the wheel actuated the lens just fine however, so the issue is internal to the device and not between the device and the lens.

It seemed like it was too good to be true, and was. I've put a RMA request in -- I just wanted to avoid someone else wasting their time and/or $200. If they can send me one that works, I'd be willing to give it a try, but I have asked for a refund in preference.

I have 10 lenses that need gears, so I'm currently undecided about the best option. I am tempted to make my own set of Duclos-style solid Delrin gears and have done with it, but that means a lot of machine shop time. Making good ones probably requires an involute cutter, but I might get away with just profile milling the teeth directly. What gears do you all use?

I'm also tempted to build my own servo driven FF, actually not too hard, but just getting my lenses sorted out is my first step really.

May 12, 2012

im sold. it looks like smooth accurate wireless pulling to me. I think the large gear is more work for the motor servo to push. its large to acheive a longer throw for more lens revolution degrees. NIce workmanship for a pricepoint thats the lowest Ive seen....and its available NOW! thanks Jag35. can i get a discount now!!??

July 5, 2012

keoki

I bet if this wireless focus had a redrock sticker on it with blue knobs, all you vidiots would pay 3x as much and have it sit in your camera bag forever instead of SHOOTING FILMS!!!

July 5, 2012