Superproducer Ted Hope on...

August 15, 2012

Long-Awaited Final Draft Writer App for iPad Available Sept. 4

For those of you out there using Final Draft 8 who have looked elsewhere to find mobile screenwriting solutions for your iPad, you will have to look no further on September 4. Final Draft has announced the company is (finally) releasing its long-awaited Final Draft Writer App for iPad on September 4 via the iTunes App Store (sorry, Android users, you're still outta luck). Here are a few of the features of Final Draft Writer according to the company newsletter:

• Transfer scripts from desktop to iPad (via email according to Final Draft website, presumably also via Dropbox like the Final Draft Reader app)
  • Create new Final Draft (.fdx) scripts and edit existing (.fdx) scripts
  • Same Tab and Enter navigation as desktop application
  • Create and share ScriptNotes
  • Same SmartType functionality as desktop application
  • Accurate production script pagination and display

In addition to these features, Final Draft's website has also promised more Writer app attributes beyond the newsletter announcement, including:

• Character highlighting for table reads, auditions, and character development
  • Quick scene and page navigation with a touch slider
  • AirPrint support
  • Automatic bookmarking of last page read
  • Search and replace functionality

So, how is this different from the Final Draft Reader app currently available? Basically, you can now create and edit your .fdx files on your iPad. Otherwise, the apps look about the same. Pricing wasn't announced, but since the Reader app currently sells for $9.99 at the iTunes App Store, expect to pay a few more bucks (perhaps somewhere in the $14.99 range) for the Writer app. If Final Draft really wanted to build goodwill among its existing customers, it would be great if they would offer a discount to customers who already bought the Reader app. Logistically, this may not be feasible (or even possible).

Don't want to wait until September 4? Check out Celtx or Fade In for both iOS and Android writing apps, and see how these screenwriting applications match up against other inexpensive screenwriting options.

Is Final Draft Writer the iPad app you've been waiting for? Do you already use other solutions to write and edit your scripts on your mobile devices? Let us know in the Comments.

Links: Final Draft newsletter and Writer App product page

Ohhh man... No love for Android. So many good apps for IOS and for android so few...

August 15, 2012

Alex Mand

I don't have an iPad so I won't get it but I like the idea of the app. Don't know how often I would write my script on an iPad if I had one but for a quick idea that I want to get out in format, I could see that. Any serious writing will be done with a physical keyboard though, so I see it more as an quick editing tool for quick changes on the go.

August 15, 2012

Jason

I don't understand why the reader is $10 bucks at all. I own the software on my iMac and like it, but it's still overpriced in my opinion.

If I've already spent over $150 for the software, why should I have to pay $10-20 for the ability to use it on my mobile device? Not everyone using Final Draft is a hollywood type with six figure paychecks.

I'll probably still buy, just for the functionality....just irritating.

August 15, 2012

Morgan

I paid $20 for the reader app, so at least it's discounted now. That said, I'm willing to bet that the app will be quite a bit more expensive... the desktop version is $250 after all.

August 15, 2012

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I hadn't even realized the reader app was originally $20 as Koo said, so my initial guess at $14.99 is probably too low. I'm so old school, I still bring my laptop with me everywhere.

August 15, 2012

Christopher Boone
Writer
Writer/Director

Ugghh.... typing on an iPad. ;-)

August 18, 2012

steve

Best way to use an iPad is with the apple blue-tooth keyboard. Works great for taking notes and weighs a lot less than a laptop. Works even better in tight spaces!

August 18, 2012

It's out early I guess. Apparently it's going to be $50 soon. Right now it's $30 which is only ridiculous if you don't compare it to the price of the desktop version. Still a little apprehensive about buying considering it could just suck and there are no real reviews out. Any takers?

August 28, 2012

Felipe

Damn...I've only been waiting over 2 years for this. The fact that the original iPad didn't have FD was one of the reasons I actually sold it (I now have a new iPad)...b/c I thought it would work as a laptop replacement...I have a robust desktop, so I need less out of a portable...but I didn't have FD...

It should be a free app for people who've loyally bought their product on the desktop (I've had it since FD2 or 3)---in fact, they let you license it to two machines (my laptop and my desktop), so why can't this count towards one of them? I know apps are different, but still...

I've used them because they've been the standard for so long, but they're really slow as a company. Their software is always pretty poorly written...little things like stuttery scrolling (compared to Pages or MS Word...etc...) and less than intuitive design (when they changed the shortcuts a few years ago...and some of the changes *still* don't make sense to me and I have to enter certain fields manually...)

anyway, with this being 2 years too late, I have no expectations of it. It's gonna suck, but I'll probably use it nonetheless.

August 29, 2012

Daniel Mimura

For that reason times repeatedly pretty significantly everything, this life undoubtedly is ended up saving a little bit far more.
The program in fact saves currently the And also carbon actually motivated in to planet during these development activities.
dc free mommy weblog giveaways family trip home gardening
home power wash baby laundry detergent

May 2, 2013

You're a real deep thenrik. Thanks for sharing.

March 18, 2014