We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

December 10, 2012

Time Warp as a Weapon in Red Giant Short 'Tempo,' Plus a Super Secret Sale (Soon)

No one's doubting the impact that time-play can have in motion pictures. This, you'd think, would generally refer to things like time-lapse or slow-motion -- but what if some scientific breakthrough could invoke slow-motion upon real life objects, like some kind of time-warp weapon? Post-plugin powerhouse Red Giant has just released an original sci-fi/action short called Tempo that explores this possibility, and then some. It's exciting whenever a hard-concept type of film sets its premise, proceeds to meet each and every hopeful expectation you might have given that premise, and then goes even further than you could hope for. This is the case with Tempo -- check it out below. (Also, a Secret Sale soon-to-be... Shh, secret!)

I should offer a warning that there's some intense time-bending action going on here, as well as mild violence -- it's nothing you haven't seen in a PG-13 rated film, though, violence-wise. Here is Tempo, directed by Seth Worley with co-produced and co-written by key Red Gianter Aharon Rabinowitz.

Though there's not any behind-the-scenes material for Tempo yet available from Red Giant, we wanted to share it sooner rather than later -- you know, for the sake of timeliness (hey-ho!). We've previously covered another Seth Worley-directed Red Giant short Plot Device, which bears a similar duality to Tempo -- they're shorts and proof-of-plugin commercials at the same time. Creative content in exchange for being exposed to what some strong software plugins can do is fine by me.

The timing of this short (just can't stop myself) is no coincidence either -- even though Red Giant's homepage asks to keep it hush-hush -- they are allowing mailing list sign-ups to be clued into an upcoming 'Secret Sale' they'll be having. The tie-in is, of course, that the sale (as of yet undisclosed) will put the power to create every Red Giant-born thing you see in Tempo, and beyond, at what they're simply now calling a "BIG discount." If this type of plugin and effects work interests you (and if spending a lot less money than usual on the exact same product also interests you), stay tuned and sign-up at Red Giant.

Did you guys enjoy the short? How about the effects work -- obviously very important to achieving the film's goal, did the execution impress you? Will you be jumping on the Magic Bullet train when this discount drops?

Link: Red Giant Software

Some scenes was not so nice, some were very nice. I found the story quite good (follows good storytelling with premises and payoffs). And, I didn't turn it off after 20 secs :) that is a good sign.

December 10, 2012

Loved it! Nothing better than VFX that propels and enhances the story rather than getting in the way and bogging it down. Aharon Rabinowitz is one clever cookie!

Red giant have become a powerhouse in the VFX arena.

December 10, 2012

Paul

Fun little film. I just wish the sound design and mix were better.

December 10, 2012

Stu MacQuarrie

I quite liked it

December 11, 2012

I just wish the acting were a little better....

December 10, 2012

J

I mean was. Ha.

December 10, 2012

J

I think they purposely made the acting dodgy to emphasize the indie nature of the film. Basically selling the idea that no budget amateur indie film makers can do all these special effects with red giant software.

Will

I can imagine the ad now.

Bad actors or good actors that are good at bad acting required now for short film showcasing a software house's VFX plug-ins aimed at the indie film market. Actors must be stilted, hammy and 'not in the moment' as this is the only standard of actors that our customers can find.

I seriously doubt that they would purposefully use 'bad actors' so that if fits in with their market. I also think that it's patronising to say that only the indie film market can get 'bad actors'. I also think that the acting was patchy but that there were a couple of nice moments from them, especially since they were probably secondary to the VFX in terms of what was most important on the shoot. The makers have also probably played a lot of half life.

Neill Jones

Cool idea and quite well done.
Now the bad things:
- (minor thing) the recoil when the guys fired their guns looked ridiculous
- the stabilization in post looked awful too often
- way too violent for my liking
- sometimes in some fx shots I couldn`t tell if it was artefacts or intentional (when he was between the cars and the red car blurred strangely)

December 10, 2012

Mariano

Agree on the recoil! Noticed it immediately! But the blur on the red car was definitely supposed to be there; the idea being that the momentum is still there but "paused".

Anyway, I thought it was all-round fantastic, no caveats other than the recoil thing.

Luke

The gunshots are too low in the mix, too. It should be almost deafening, ducking other FX. Otherwise it looks silly.

Warp stabilizing is worse than jerky camera, as far as I'm concerned.

Stu MacQuarrie

I can't believe they didn't say GIANT discount.

December 10, 2012

Alex Zustra

Exactly.

Great work from Seth and Co. The music was Fantastic!

Jerome

Way too many flares.

Jorge Cayon

Hey, that was fun. Cheesy, but fun.

Just a note, frag grenades do not explode into a flaming ball, they explode into many tiny fragments. There is very little explosives involved. When it blows up, it looks very lame, as opposed to what they show us in movies.

Daniel

To be honest, this gave me a twitch in the face or two as well -- incendiary is a lot different fragmentation -- but the effect was so well used, I stopped caring just about straight away.

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

geesh, who cares? I'm glad most people don't know how a grenade explosion looks like in reality...

hansd

Love it!hope they put up the BTS.good job though.

Arnold

This was great! I agree with Stu and J. But over all I was caught up in the story and that's what matters first and foremost to me.

Logan

Suffers a bit from being a sequel to the truly brilliant Plot Device. But still worth watching.

This sale had better be 70% or more off with all this hype. 20% off will be a disappointment. If the sale is marketed with more intensity than the product, everyone who misses the sale will sit on their hands till the next one.

Peter

Just got the email and the sale is today at 40% off for everything. Not bad.

Peter

This is still sad for us FCPX/Motion 5 users though: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/support/compatibility/host-applications/

(Cue commentary about what "real cinema professionals" use...)

Peter

Picked up the Trapcode suite this morning ... great deal! Particular and Shine are awesome, seriously.

Stu MacQuarrie

Loved the diversionary maneuver with the slowed down paint bucket.

hansd

Well I loved the short overall, entertaining story good direction and editing, my critique goes to the visuals, bad cinematography with poor lighting choices and framing. VFX was bad as well, screams cheap,enough to tell the story though, I know the point of this was to sell their products for vfx, color, etc, however I would never buy anything to look like that. Anyway I still going to watch it again :)

Marcus

Hey trolls - just as soon as you make something as good as this I'll listen to your "criticisms". Great short!!

December 11, 2012

Hated the "Inception"part of the music. Enough with the deep notes already ! And to Steve Schwartz: as soon as YOU make something as good as this, I'll give a crap about your opinion.

FabDex