February 18, 2013

Need to Move a Mountain of Data? Send Files Up to 1 Terabyte for Free with SoShare

What if you needed to share hundreds of Gigabytes (or even Terabytes) with a partner to finish a project, but you've reached the limits on the sharing service you already use? Well, that's where SoShare comes in. The new service is utilizing the power of BitTorrent to share an unlimited amount of data with as many users as you want -- up to 1 Terabyte per transfer -- and the best part of all: it's 100% completely free. Sound too good to be true? Read on for more about the service.

Here is the breakdown of how it works:

SoShare’s a public beta that evolved out of a simple need. As coders, designers, and content creators, we have to deliver large files on a daily basis. We’re not alone, by the way. 3.34 million Americans work in creative industries. And still: there’s no media delivery service for people who work in media. You can’t fit everything into an attachment. Syncing services have caps. Delivery services have limits.

SoShare doesn’t.

Send up to a terabyte of data in one transfer. Yep, a terabyte. Move any file. Of any size. To any number of recipients. Collaborate on projects with friends and co-workers. Ideas are free. And so is SoShare.

Here’s how you get started.

Create a free account, install the SoShare plug-in, and upload up your audio, film, or design projects. Enter your collaborator’s email address, and send your project bundle on its way.

Delivery!

Recipients get an email saying that the bundle is waiting for them. Don’t worry, they don’t need to create an account to access the file. You can also create a public link, if you want to share via chat, Twitter, or Facebook.

Bonus round.

Because SoShare is based on a BitTorrent browser plug-in, delivery is swift. Pause and resume transfers if you have to switch gears. SoShare will keep tabs on delivery status – letting you know once the goods have gotten there (and whether or your collaborator or client has opened the file). Files are live for 30 days, but you can expire them at any time.

So what's the catch? Well, the service is still in Beta at this time, so not everything may be working as it is supposed to. For example, at the moment, the email notification system seems to be down, so until that is fixed you must make a public link and then share that with whomever you are trying to send files to [Update: the email notification and receipt worked just fine for me in any case]. That seems to be a minor speed bump for the time being, since the upsides for SoShare are tremendous. While files are only available for 30 days, this has potential movie distribution benefits by allowing you to upload a pristine copy of your film (in whatever resolution you like), and then letting you send that link to specific people, or even make a public link that can be downloaded as many times as necessary. This is even something that film festivals could use to make incompatible DVDs or Blu Rays a thing of the past -- and also avoid using HDCAM tapes altogether.

It's unclear to me exactly how SoShare is working behind the scenes -- obviously these files are being stored somewhere. Either way, if you have to send huge files or groups of files freely, this is the easiest and cheapest way short of creating your own BitTorrent tracker. Of course, you will have to consult your ISP to see if you have specific data caps, and what the potential consequences for going over those caps might be. If you run a business, or you are collaborating over a long distance with massive files, it's probably worth your time to give SoShare a try.

I'm currently uploading a file now, but I'm not on the most reliable connection so it might be taking longer than normal. Either way, we'll see how quickly it downloads once that has finished. [Update: Seems to work fine, and the download was very fast. You'll need a good upload speed if you want to transfer huge files (hundreds of Gigabytes). While I have decent download -- 5-10 Mbps depending  -- I only have 1 Mbps upload, so that also likely contributed to the slower upload speed.]

Head on over to the website below to try it out.

Link: SoShare -- Website

[via The Next Web & BitTorrent Blog]

I don't understand how this can be as good as it sounds while remaining free. I'm not complaining, mind you...

David S.

They must be leveraging computers from around the world instead of having one central server location. Otherwise I agree with you, servers are expensive. They also have the benefit, though, of not having to store your files. After 30 days they disappear, so it's a bit different than something like Dropbox which keeps your files on their server as long as they are in your shared folder.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

This sounds too good to be true... There has to be a catch!

February 18, 2013

yes..it only lasts for 30 days...so it's usefull for everywork you do, but not for permanent cloud storation :)

Jesus

Well, it's not cloud storage, it's BitTorrent. The file(s) is/are directly sent from one computer to another.

Kevin Marshall

In the case of SoShare, it doesn't work like real BitTorrent on the surface since you must upload the file (wherever that goes), instead of transferring the file immediately through a tracker.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

yes..and that's why I connect it to cloud storage (sorry for saying storation before, I'm from spain) and I think it's a short-term great solution but not for longer as dropbox does. But anyway it's nice to have this option :)

Jesus

Ah, seems I misunderstood. Sorry. So still has the limitation of separate upload and download actions, then?

Kevin Marshall

I haven't tried multiple uploads or downloads yet, but they must be utilizing BitTorrent somewhere in the backend to speed up the process. It is pretty fast though, I was uploading and downloading at near max speeds.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

wha what

February 18, 2013

Hey Joe, I'm a long-time reader and I'd like to see you guys do a piece ( if not a review at least some information) on the Nikon d5200. People are saying it's moire-free, super 35 and 700$. I'd like some more opinions on it.

February 18, 2013

Not much is out there so far, but while on paper it sounds great, I'm not really liking what I see, and I know that it has the Nikon quirks like no aperture changes with automatic lenses in Live View. I'm waiting for more to come out or to get my hands on one.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

But it don't work on Mac.

Harry Monk

I just used it successfully on a Mac. It's made to work on Windows or OSX.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Sorry, SoShare is currently not supported on your platform. You can preview content and manage bundles, but you're not able to send or download files.

Harry Monk

I just looked and it seems 10.7 and above is supported

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I'm having the same problem on a mac, with chrome. Anyone else?

February 19, 2013

cappy

Except who wants to send 1 TB over a 16mbps internet connection? Technology is years ahead of infrastructure. It's so frustrating.

dv

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do... I've had to send 20GB+ files many, many times - and not because I wanted to.

This looks like a great alternative to FTP. I'm going to start testing right now.

February 19, 2013

Brynn

This plus Google fiber... Man, I can't wait for Google to become a nationwide ISP.

Julian

I'm in KC and already have a free terabyte of cloud storage with Google so if you keep that empty, you wouldn't even need this service with Google Fiber.

February 19, 2013

Chuck

How do they make money? they have to sustain themselves, so how can they do this?

Travis

It may not be free forever, they said they are exploring different avenues for revenue. This is the way most startups operate though, losses forever until they generate critical mass. BitTorrent has received venture funding though, so that's how they are doing this for now.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Sounds like Aspera, except you don't have to purchase a license on either side. Though if they start charging to use it, it will seem exactly like Aspera, which kind of has the market cornered on all this, at least in our neck of the woods...

February 19, 2013

Chase

It does sound great, but my biggest concern would be security. SoShare itself may be totally legit, but I would be afraid to install an unproven beta browser plug-in and allow it access to the files on my computer because I would be afraid that some hacker might be able to crack into it and use it for evil.

February 21, 2013

Erik

I would also be concerned to share work related project files on some obscure "Bittorrent-like" technology that uploads my data to - well, where? uhm, let's say "somewhere"
Who will be able to access that data? Is it encrypted? Can only my partners access it with a password, or will any 12yo hacker-wannabe be able to steal it from wherever it gets uploaded to?

There's a lot of questions that need to be answered before I'd consider using it for important data.

February 22, 2013

Heiko

Lots of interesting comments.

In the story, I read "I only have 1Mbps upload" That would mean a 1TB file would take about 97 days to push - yikes!

This is nice if you don't mind sharing your network and computer with lots of strangers.

And the EULA says "personal, non-commercial purposes"

There are alternatives in the media space like Airship - their license fees are reasonable, shipping is fast, encrypted and direct. useairware.com

November 11, 2013