March 31, 2013

Canon C100 and C500 ND Filter/Sensor Dust Prevention Improvement Now Available for the C300

Internal ND filters are incredibly helpful on set, especially if you're in a situation where you are trying to move quickly. We've seen that the particular filters inside the Canon C100/C300/C500 are actually very specific to the cameras themselves, and they do a good job of blocking out infrared light, which starts to appear more with standard ND filters as you block out visible light. It seems Canon has had some issues with keeping this area of the camera dust-free, so they've made some modifications. Check out the details below.

Here is the situation from Canon (thanks to Thierry at Digital Cinema Tools for sending this over):

As part of the on-going feedback process with customers Canon has implemented a revised design in the filter and sensor units of the Cinema EOS System’s EOS C100 and EOS C500 digital cameras that further improves dust prevention performance.

The new design further minimises any possible ingress of dust within the sensor and filter array and, after additional development, the same upgrade can now be performed on all existing purchased EOS C300 cameras and it will be implemented in all future EOS C300 and C300 PL models.

The update can only be done at a Canon Regional Competence Centre (RCC) service facility and, as the upgrade involves a significant amount of time, you must contact and book the update directly with the service facility. To find out your nearest official Canon RCC service facility please click here.

I don't personally own any of these cameras, but have heard about some of these issues through some folks at rental houses. It's definitely great having internal NDs, but if you're having issues with dust in a part of the camera that is not user serviceable, it's certainly going to be a problem. The good thing is that if you'd like to have the new hardware improvement, it's now available for all of their C series cameras.

While this is a message from Canon Europe, I have to assume that the hardware is the same for the cameras, and this issue should be able to be resolved anywhere else in the world, but you'll have to ask a repair facility in your area to make sure that they can perform the upgrade. If someone has more information on whether this is available elsewhere, feel free to share that below.

Link: EOS C500 and C100 updates now available for EOS C300 -- Canon Europe

[via Digital Cinema Tools]

I just got my C300 back from the Canon Service Center in Hollywood having it's monitor cable repaired. They kept the camera longer than I expected, but they also did this upgrade without telling me and free of charge. So it definitely applies to US cameras and customers.

March 31, 2013 at 8:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Excellent, thanks for that.

March 31, 2013 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I just sent my C300 in for the same monitor repair, for the second time! I wonder how many other C300 owners out there it has happened to.

It would be one thing if it was just the monitor because I can always just plug an external into the SDI, but the C300 monitor unit is also the only way to get XLR audio into the camera. I'm in the process of trying to purchase a second C300 monitor unit as a backup so I don't get stuck without any way to get XLR audio into the camera for a third time. Fool me once....

April 3, 2013 at 6:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Same here Joe when I sent it in for the fringe fix recently. (Pre downloadable FW). They added new dust proof parts. Now we know why.

March 31, 2013 at 10:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Great, so I'm guessing they may be doing this with all cameras when you send them in. Definitely good to see them addressing things even if all users aren't experiencing the issue.

March 31, 2013 at 11:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

So will you be reviewing 5dmark3 uncompressed hdmi tomorrow?

April 1, 2013 at 1:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

vinceGortho

As far as I know, the new firmware for 5D Mark III and 1D C will be released sometime after NAB, probably in the second half of April.

April 1, 2013 at 3:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marvin

Sorry if I've missed it but I read it again and couldn't see any mention whether this is free for everyone who purchased either model?

We just picked up a C100 in the UK.

April 1, 2013 at 8:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Richard Collins

The C100 already has the dust improvements built in.

April 1, 2013 at 8:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Carlos D

I'm the owner of a C100 and it has to be said that the internal ND are not "strong" enough, you still need to use external ND filters because the camera is too "sensible" to light (one of its strength). Even with the higher internal ND option you can't keep a lens at F2.8 or 1.4 during daylight... They really should give an option to replace the intensity of the internal filters!
I'm still using variable ND all the time. :-(