We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

March 11, 2013

Kessler Shows off New Pocket Jib Traveler, Packs Up into Only 2 Feet, Available Late March

A few months ago, Kessler teased what they were calling the Pocket Jib Traveler. While we only got a few details, a few things were clear: it was going to be small, and it was going to be light. Now, we've got the full description and details on the jib as it nears release, including an introduction video that gives a rundown of the features as well as complete assembly information. Check out the video below.

Here is the description from Kessler's site:

The Pocket Jib Traveler is Kessler's newest and most compact Pocket Jib designed for shooters that require an ultra-portable jib solution. The Pocket Jib Traveler is 27 inches in length when collapsed and has a circular travel distance of 72 inches when fully extended. It surpasses other ultra-portable jibs through is unique design and light footprint, providing shooters with the perfect travel companion as they trek through extreme environments to capture the perfect shot.

Check out this video featuring Preston Kanak introducing the jib:

The specs:

• Weight: 5.5 lbs.
  • Collapsed Length: 27"
  • Circular Travel: 72"
  • Weight Capacity: 10 lbs.

I think if you've got a smaller camera, like a DSLR or even a GoPro, this is going to work really well. It's always tricky with jibs to get the weight and resistance right, but as long as you're not operating in extremely windy conditions, you should be able to handle a lighter jib without issues. Obviously this can't perform like a $5,000 jib will, but at under 6 pounds, it's one of the lighter jibs out there.

It looks like at the moment it should be available around March 29th and it will retail for $600, but you can head on over to Kessler's site to read more about it.

Link: Pocket Jib Traveler -- Kessler

Disclosure: Kessler is a No Film School advertiser.

Looks like I'm getting a jib this year!

March 11, 2013

There are a ton of moving time-lapse shots in this video? Was this jib used in their creation and how ?

March 11, 2013

Rick Webb

The time-lapses were not created with the jib, just Preston putting his touch on the videos.

March 11, 2013

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I trust and value your opinions and information on this site, but the time-lapses shouldn't be in this promo video. The video is labeled "Pocket Jib Traveler", has Kesssler's logo, then the opening 4 shots feature moving time-lapses that were not created using this jib.

It mis-represents the actual ability of this jib. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but it's still false advertising. There's a lot of super smooth time-lapse footage intercut with jib footage that is extremely misleading. Also, if they are using any post stabilization processing via software it should also be stated.

March 11, 2013

Rick Webb

Might as well just quote him while I'm at it (replaced the video above):

This film, along will virtually all other promos I have done with Kessler maintains the same style. With these films, I try take them beyond a simple promo video for a product and try craft a bit of a story around the piece. Feel free to watch the quick start video which has less of those supporting shots by only using static shots and jib shots. vimeo.com/60742241. While I produce these videos with this unique style, my intent is not to mislead, rather make them a little more enjoyable to watch. For most of the shots that were captured using the jib, I made sure to include the BTS shot of using it right before the clip to make it clear that the given shot was captured with this jib. Not at one point did I desire these supporting shots to confuse the viewer.

March 11, 2013

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

You sure he didn't use the jib? I've seen him do jib time-lapses in other videos with the other jibs. It just involves getting a motor, making the jib back heavy and then running a rope around the jib connected to the motor to slowly lower (or raise) the jib.

March 11, 2013

Clayton Arnall

I made that DIY jib with the monopods and I'm pretty stoked with how it works for $80. It's ugly as dirt but I can get some pretty sweet moves out of it. After building it and understanding how it works, I'd rather just build a better one for myself instead of spending $600, but that's because I'm a broke student with no money, so if you can justify this then it seems like a good deal.

March 11, 2013

Julian

How will this compare to the aviator jib? In terms of price and quality?

March 11, 2013

McKay

Looks like it's about 50% heavier and 20% more expensive.

March 13, 2013

Mr. Jib

Looks like the kessler is 50% heavier and 20% expensive than the aviator. Aviator comes with a bag and counter balance and still costs less and weighs less than the kessler.

March 13, 2013

Mr. Jib

one thing about this jib i noticed was that it looked like it had an almost 1:1 front back ratio, whereas other competitors were more like 2:1. while this permits lighter counter weights, the front section was not as long as it could have been. would be interested to know the actual height reachable, versus the circular travel length.

March 12, 2013

Pretty awesome for a DSLR, but I bet my Epic would be too much. Thus I would need the 5000 dollar version. CURSE YOU, FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

March 12, 2013

Isaac

sick sick sick. Done!

March 12, 2013

john

with a rating on 10lbs, you could fly an fs700 very easily on this thing. Fun!

March 12, 2013

john

I have the Aviator Carbon Fiber edition, it packs down smaller than the Kessler and is even lighter than the aluminum Aviator. I do see benefits with the carbon in terms of vibration and weight that give it some nice advantages. It is definitely a great product but with a premium price. I do think the Aviator and some of the other models out there that are similar but less polished, like DSLR Magic, etc. suffer a bit in their design in that you will see some flex and bowing of parts when conducting moves, this doesn't seem to impact use (but you do need to practice with a jib to get good moves).

I suspect that the Kessler might not suffer from this as much, or at all based on it's design. I have numerous Kessler products and the build quality of them is simply best in market--this seems to be a product that is priced aggressively by them and that brings a lot of advantages in terms of how it's manufactured and if I were still in the market for a jib I'd probably be seriously contemplating this, even compared to the Aviator (which is also a fine product). I really think that these are your only two options in equipment that can take serious abuse and regular use without falling apart.

March 13, 2013

Chris

Maybe in the opening shot he schould level his video camera first, and give the guy in the presentation his feet back..

March 18, 2013