First-Time Narrative Feature Filmmakers: Don't Forget to Submit to IFP Labs, Deadline is April 5th
Many films get stuck in the finishing phase due to lack of resources for important services such as Sound Mixing, Sound Design, and Color Correction, to name a few. In comes the Independent Filmmaker Project Labs, a program that aims to help first-time directors finish and distribute their films. Though the deadline for documentary submissions has passed for this year, narrative submissions are open until the end of the week. Each year they select 10 films for their narrative labs, and you can find out how to submit below.
The Independent Filmmaker Project “fosters the development, production and promotion of hundreds of feature and documentary films a year.” The narrative lab takes place from June 10th-14th, 2013 in New York City. To submit, you have to fill out an application and submit a rough cut of your film by April 5th under the following criteria:
- First-time feature filmmakers only
- Principal Photography should be complete and editing has begun
- Minimum 40 minute rough cut or assembly
- IFP labs are for filmmakers born or based in the U.S. only
They even go further — IFP labs try to help you strengthen your story and structure, help with legal and distribution, and audience building. Here’s the list full list of workshops they offer:
- Legal Issues
- Audience Building
- Transmedia Tie-in
- Film Festivals
- Publicity and Marketing
- Distribution Models
- Documentary-specific topics
The narrative film deadline is this week, but if you have a project ready to submit to the labs, it might not be too late. It seems to be a great choice for first-time filmmakers, so check it out — I’m submitting my film!
Recent Narrative Lab alumni include Concussion (Radius / The Weinstein Company, Sundance ’13), Blue Caprice (Sundance ’13), An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (Variance Films, Sundance ’12), Pariah (Focus Features, Sundance ’11), Kinyarwanda (AFFRM, Sundance ’11), Una Noche (Tribeca, Berlin ’12), and Welcome to Pine Hill (Oscilloscope, Slamdance Grand Jury Prize ’12), with more Lab alumni set for spring festivals and theatrical release.
Have any of you had experience with labs before? Share in the comments.
- Making Your First Feature Film? IFP Supports Rough Cuts with Narrative/Documentary Labs
- First-Time Feature Directors in Post-Production: Submit to IFP's Independent Filmmaker Labs
- First Time Feature Films at the Rough Cut Stage: Two Weeks Left to Apply for IFP's Narrative Lab