May 13, 2013

Adobe Commissions Liquid Art Video 'Magma' to Promote the Creative Cloud

MagmaWhen not busy transitioning people from boxed software to their subscription option, Adobe occasionally takes time out to partner with talented users to bring projects created with their tools to fruition. In that spirit, the company reached out to Barcelona's collaborative direction, live action, and animation project Dvein, to create an impressive liquid motion art piece called Magma for the launch of the Creative Cloud. Take a look after the jump:

Largely known for their award-winning title design and ident work, Dvein's three creative directors Fernando Domínguez, Teo Guillem, and Carlos Pardo decided to use the opportunity of the commission to create their first music video; turning to The Vein to provide the music which would form the foundation of the film. Aside from the live action shoot aspects of the project -- capture on a RED with a mix of Arri 200mm, 100mm, 60mm, and 16/24/32/40mm Macro lenses -- which required additional crew, Magma was fully produced in-house over two months by the trio of directors, 3D assistant Alba Ribera and producer Marga Sardà.

Sardà walks us through the production process:

Mainly, the Creative Suite tools that we used the most were After Effects and Photoshop, but of course there was a lot of use of 3D software involved. We followed usual process for mix-media pieces: we did some tests with paint before the shoot, to see which effects we could generate the day of the shooting and also an animatic of the whole video. We implemented all the live action material into the 3D material we generated, we got the heads modeled in ZBrush to help us with the tracking, and finally rendered it all and did the comp.

And here's the behind the scenes video of the piece coming together:

Although I've totally failed to find any official information, it seems that Magma was commissioned under the banner of what Adobe is calling the 'Creative Series,' which naturally leads me to believe that we should expect to see more Creative Suite powered projects funded by the company in the future (in fact, rumors suggest some of these will come from Vasava in the design field, qubibi for web, and Erik Johansson for photography). I'm aware that Adobe also recently sponsored HaZ Dulull's sci-fi short Project Kronos, but that production appears to fall outside of the Creative Series.

What do you think of Dvein's abstract art piece? Has it whet your appetite for more Adobe sponsored films?

Link: Dvein

Disclosure: Adobe is a No Film School advertiser.

Dvein's piece was pretty impressive. Great blending of footage, effects and 3D space. Very cool! Thanks for the share.

May 13, 2013

I hope it's a symbol of their user base melting away because of mandatory software rental...

May 14, 2013

Jer

Hhahahahahah I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching it.

May 14, 2013

Angus

Melt away to what? There is no real competition.

May 14, 2013

moebius22

CS6 can be milked. And milked it will be. Like no cow who came before. It will be milked until competition comes.

May 14, 2013

Angus

so....you only can do this with Adobe CC?? ahahha...But if Adobe would make a such a deal of 24 months of payment Adobe CC if you stop paying you can run the software but you loose all that cloud thing of storage, sharing, etc. But having to know that you have to pay for life to use this.....I'm afraid every service in the world in a near future will be like this.

May 14, 2013

Jesuan

So you make a piece advertising Creative Cloud Software, and use other people's software to make it.
Right...

May 14, 2013

Fresno Bob

As far as I'm aware there was no requirement for Dvein to restrict themselves solely to Adobe's software. If Magma has to be boiled down to the tools used to create it as opposed to the artistry of the piece, then couldn't it be equally argued that the Creative Suite was able to fit seamlessly into the team's workflow?

May 14, 2013

MarBelle
Writer
Writer/Curator

I find it odd that Adobe would use this to plug their tools, not because they weren't a major part of the workflow, but because this piece (at least to me) seems impressive mostly because of the 3D modeling and animation (which is arguably the most significant portion of this piece), and Adobe does not make any dedicated 3D modeling and animation tools on the level of something like Maya/Max, Zbrush, etc.

May 14, 2013

Rick

Adobe should because the user interfaces, production workflows and time rendering in MAYA etc. are terribly counter productive. Computers are not powerful enough yet. Adobe is an amazing company that truly improves itself year after year. Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere are amazing and have been for years,

May 14, 2013

MovieBuff

I find the piece pretty impressive but it's a pity that the voices just don't fit with the images. I would have liked to have the impression that the voices from the music were actually coming out of those monsters' mouths.
Amazing piece of work nonetheless.

May 15, 2013

pask

it really too bad Adobe is smoking too many drugs. The dream they have of all of us just handing over out wallets to them for a lifetime of software use.
quick math if its 600 per year for 10 years thats.
600x 10 6k
then if for the next 2 years is 75? or more
that 9k
so 15k over twenty years. I like the every three or four year upgrade cycle at 200 a year and maybe finding a place where i can live with what I got. no Adobe I dont want to pay for your big parties, your promotions and for sure not your new stock program. I want a fair price and thats it.

May 16, 2013

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped
me out much. I'm hoping to offer one thing again and aid others such as you helped me.

May 16, 2014