We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

May 19, 2013

iStopMotion Update Lets You Turn Your Computer Screen into a Stop-Motion Movie Set

iStopMotion logoEarlier this week, the folks at Boinx Software released the upgraded iStopMotion 3.1, an award-winning stop-motion animation software. This upgrade includes a feature that many users have been clamoring for: screen capture. This new feature allows users the ability to create stop-motion and time-lapse videos by capturing frames directly from your computer screen -- essentially turning your computer/iPad/iPhone screen into a movie set.

According to Boinx's blog, the update will allow users to capture frames from their screens to create stop-motion or time-lapse films by using iStopMotion in tandem with illustration programs like Photoshop or InDesign to document their entire creation process.

Cody Creed, an art teacher from Manitoba, Canada tested the software with the update:

The iStopMotion screen capture feature is exceptional. It is a real pleasure to watch the application in action. As an artist, I wish to share my process. This feature makes it easy to show how I create images from scratch in a dynamic and interesting way. I also find it works great in spaces. That way you can capture without the visual clutter of two applications at once. It has a great deal of potential, which will be realized when the art community gets their hands on it.

To see exactly what screen capture can do, check out this video made by Creed.

Many established animators have sworn by Dragonframe, which was used to make films like ParaNorman and Coraline. However, iStopMotion is good for people of all skill levels and has been used to produce incredible HD works. To see what this program can help you create, check out stop-motion filmmaker Charlie Collier's music video for musician Lincoln Durham.

Do you use iStopMotion? What do you think about the new iStopMotion 3 update? How could you see yourself using the screen capture feature in your animations?

Links:

I'm sorry but I see absolutely no relevance to film with the screen capture.

Pointless post is pointless.

May 19, 2013

Tyler

No relevance are you kidding? Have you never seen stop motion before? It's incredible!

May 19, 2013

Will

With directors around like Tim Burton and Adam Elliot, to say this is pointless is both ridiculous and factually ignorant.

May 20, 2013

shaun

Tim Burton and Adam Elliot didn't use screen capture to make their animations.

Factually ignorant says the one that didn't read my comment.

May 23, 2013

Tyler

The fact this new version of the software can do HD movies for $50 when the previous version cost $500 for the HD option is great! Thanks for posting!

May 19, 2013

Matt

The app looks to be good for what it does, but I think the news that drives this post (an update that adds screen capture to the program) is pointless like Tyler said.
Of course stop motion is relevant and any tools to improve the workflow (like Dragonframe and perhaps this app) are welcome, but interval screen capture is something you can already do with free apps like IrfanView (and this function has been available for ages). I don't know if it's worth a news post.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 19, 2013

Maybe I am also missing the point because I am not on a Mac (although I probably would be if it wouldn't be rather inconvenient where I live) but on windows I can think of probably more then a dozen tools that allow me to take screenshots and send them down to the my production pipeline of choice, and while this tool may eventually make this task a little easier or more intuitive, I can't see the innovative aspect of the idea...

May 20, 2013

Still no onion skinning and image preview for DSLRs, even though they have been promising it for over a year, even though Dragonframe can do it, as well as plenty of other software such as Canon utilities. It is mighty cheap, but no good if it doesn't have live preview.

May 23, 2013

Captain Slocum

from their website

Onion Skinning
See what the animation is going to look like before you capture the frame.

October 11, 2013

The screenshots do seems to have a high quality to them, which is great, but that isn't all that makes a stop-motion film. Since I don't have a Mac, I've never heard of this tool before, so I would like to hear about the other things that it can do before passing judgement on it. The screen capture tool is useful for a kind of digital stop-motion, sure, but I'm not sold on it just yet.

June 2, 2013

The Creed movie never loaded, but the blogs convinced me to go ahead and buy dragonframe, although
I did like the old version of Boinx. Screen shots with keyboard shortcut can't be integrated for free?

hey kids, go outside and get some fresh air.

June 9, 2014