Superproducer Ted Hope on...

June 30, 2013

Did You Miss the Stanley Kubrick Exhibit at LACMA? Just Take the Video Tour

For those of us who absolutely love Stanley Kubrick, but haven't been anywhere near the LA area for the past 8 months, we might be pretty disappointed about not being able to go see his exhibit at LACMA (this also goes for all of you Angelenos who couldn't make it, either.) The exhibit consisted of a vast array of lenses and cameras he used, tons of movie posters, models, props, and costumes from his most iconic films as well as his unfinished ones. Well, never fear, because you can just take the video tour. Take a walk through Kubrickian film history after the jump.

The Stanley Kubrick exhibit has been at LACMA (Los Angeles County Art Museum) since November 1st, but unfortunately it will be closed as of today. If you're wondering what exactly the exhibit consisted of, the LACMA website gives us an idea:

The exhibition covers the breadth of Kubrick’s practice, beginning with his early photographs for Look magazine, taken in the 1940s, and continuing with his groundbreaking directorial achievements of the 1950s through the 1990s. His films are represented through a selection of annotated scripts, production photography, lenses and cameras, set models, costumes, and props. In addition, the exhibition explores Napoleon and The Aryan Papers, two projects that Kubrick never completed, as well as the technological advances developed and utilized by Kubrick and his team.

We love to cover Stanley Kubrick here at NFS, so if you're feeling extra studious, check out some of our in-depth analyses of the great auteur. And if you're feeling extra extra studious, give Kubrick's Napoleon screenplay a read.

So, without further ado -- the video tour.

If you were able to make it to the Kubrick Exhibit, let us know what you thought of it in the comments. What was the coolest thing you saw there?

Link: Stanley Kubrick Exhibit -- LACMA

[via Filmmaker IQ]

3 min in, bottom roll ... famous Mitchell BNC with the .7 F-stop Carl Zeiss lens, normally used for the aerial recon by the military. Used for the low light/candle scenes such as this.

June 30, 2013

DLD

Could you imagine a Kubrick making videos for youtube made with a DSLR hacked?

June 30, 2013

Nelson

Awesome! I was in LA the week before it started, shooting a documentary. Only time this poor Swede has been in the US :P

June 30, 2013

Hampus

These were pretty good videos but it was a completely different seeing it in person. It was fun watching everyone walk pass the 2001 monolith and not even realize it was part of the exhibit. Kind of fitting for LA.

June 30, 2013

great exhibit!!!!!!!!

June 30, 2013

DIO

It was such an awesome exhibit!

Everyone talks about the ƒ/0.7 lens but there was another lens on display there that was ƒ/0.5!

July 1, 2013

NIck

Just heard about this from someone who I thought was a friend, until she told me she went twice but never made mention. What's the next stop for the exhibit? Back in London? Oz? Dubai? I'll buy the ticket, just point me in the right direction!

July 14, 2013

Jux

tumi ショルダーベルト

August 19, 2013

Yes , i am sure he will try DSRL
and find it's limit. What i like from Stanly it's each film was a research
on lens and the way he will show it...some research are on the story telling
and I like that from a Filmmaker.
I just buy a GH 2 to hacking it... not so easy to do and they start to be hard to find NEW.
But it's like when I start doing doc with a Bolex in 16mm the hacking give you
a kind of artistic control on your tools you lost with the camcorder.
On the blind test i pick the best image was made by the GH 2 like Francis Coppola and in my 5 best image
scene the Red camera was not one of them.But i still preferred film.

February 4, 2014

Pierre Samuel Rioux

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I
could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and
I'm having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

February 23, 2014

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! share we keep in touch more approximately
your article on AOL? I need an expert on this house to unravel my problem.
May be that's you! Looking ahead to see you.

March 6, 2014