Superproducer Ted Hope on...

Digital Bolex Releases Massive 10GB of RAW Sample Footage from the D16 Camera

We got a little tease of the Digital Bolex D16 RAW camera earlier in the week, and some were quite concerned with the small amount of footage being released (though they were very clear that more was coming later in the week). That later in the week is here, and the team over at Digital Bolex is now releasing a massive amount of footage for you to play around with (around 10GB worth). Click through to watch the streaming samples first, and some behind the scenes.

Here was the setup and the gear they used:

Camera: Digital Bolex (July 3 model)
Lights: (1) 4-bank Kino
Gear: (1) Small HD EVF, (1) Zacuto Follow Focus, (1) Switronix Powerbase-70

Format: 2k CinemaDNG (2048x1152) at 24FPS
Processing: Raw Photo Processor default transcode settings
Color Correction: None

I am noticing some extra motion blur in these shots, but without knowing the original shutter angle it's tough to know why that is. I have to imagine the shutter was more open for these shots than you might normally use with this camera. Otherwise, there is an absolutely gorgeous quality about the images, something that's hard to put your finger on (though it could partially be related to the camera's global shutter). Granted, in RAW you can do almost anything you like with the images, but not all sensors are created equal, as the color filter array (CFA) that actually gives you color images with digital sensors can vary quite a bit manufacturer to manufacturer. The Kodak global shutter CCD sensor in this camera is very similar to the one used in the Ikonoskop, so it's no wonder you can do a lot with this footage.

They also shot a bit of behind the scenes:

If you read the post over on their website, they said there are still some bugs to work out in the firmware before the camera is ready. They are making sure that the camera is not a beta release in any way, which hasn't always been the case with certain camera makers over the last few years.

So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the Digital Bolex website and download the uncompressed RAW footage for yourself. Feel free to share your color grades in the comments.

Link: The D16 in the Wild -- Digital Bolex

It's a nice raw image. But I'm betting that the bmpcc image is nearly the same, is s16, and a heckuva lot cheaper. I'm not sure who the market is for this camera any longer. You have to move fast if you are in the digital cinema game now.

Ben Prater

the consumer digital cinema game, yeah

john jeffries

The D16 is also S16, and capable of far more beyond just the image quality.

Mark

...and doesn't have a global shutter...

Pat

Alexas don't have global shutters and I don't see anyone knocking those as inferior.

Thom

Because they also have $100k of high-end engineering in each camera...

Pat

It's fraking BOLEX with global shutter. It'll be fine. Also - hipsters will be all over that, and I'm not blamin'.

Natt

Are the Digital Bolex people Canadian?

What I'd like to see in test footage is a shot from a helicopter. See how that goes compared to a CMOS camera. That will be the decision maker for some if they're going to be shooting in a shaky vehicle like that.

August 15, 2013

Would you buy a Bolex if you wanted aerial footage from a mini-copter?

August 15, 2013

There's something so refreshing about this whole thing. It seems that Joe and company have all but left the fast track world of bleeding-edge-technology-driving-sales and chose to create within this medium something they love. I'm digging it. It makes me feel like using this product will make my life better. I don't know if that's actually true, but all the same... I appreciate this.

this is great :)

alex

this is superior to the blackmagic images. it is definitely more filmic and the color rendering is just sweet

ishoot720p

Oh come on! These "more filmic" claims are becoming ridiculous. I see nothing showing either camera is better than the other.

agreed!

August 14, 2013

if anything the advantage of this camera would be the ccd sensor and no rolling shutter for fast action paced scenes

jay clout

I agree.

August 15, 2013

Except that the motion seen in these clips look kinda poor to me. Maybe I'm just so used to CMOS.

August 15, 2013

I'm certain people watching Transformers, The Hobbit, and all other big digital movies are not saying to themselves as they watch the fantastic picture and special effects, "You know, this could look more 'filmic'".

Gene

And where is the guy who usually comes up and says it looks like video?

August 15, 2013

Yeah, I know what you are saying.

If a camera works for a person, if they like the camera, if they understand all the settings it has, if they have an eye for where to place the camera, if they have an interesting script, all those things, then things can work well, they can make a good living with it. It doesn't have to be the most filmic, most expensive, biggest name.

I like this video: "Short Film Of The Week: Room 8!" [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RGYdbLSizI ]

I liked the story, the camera angles, it was interesting. I don't know what camera they used, if it was an ARRI, a Red, a 5D3, an AF/AG100, a GH3, whatever, I didn't know. And I don't care. It didn't matter to me as I watched.

Gene

there are many people who watch new films shot on 4k who think it looks like a video game.

ishoot720p

True. You hear this quite often, even from laymen. 'It looks like a soap opera'

Pixel

Huh, I've never heard that about 4K.

August 16, 2013

Gene

That's the higher smoother framerates employed these days in films. and Televisions today have TrueMotion or something, which fills frames between frames for smoother motion. Akin to The Hobbits 48fps, everything looked false, but at 24 it looked like a film, it adds a layer between the audience and the subject :)

December 12, 2013

Adamski

True, but in a way it's for the filmmakers who prefer the look of images of old..

There are many elements to filmmaking, like shape, or line or space or something and you never hear the audience comment on those either, it's all subtle and subliminal

December 12, 2013

Adamski

Same here. So far, I haven't seen any footage were their quickly panning/ moving the camera around and PROVING that there's no jello issues.

sunny16

What's to prove? It uses a CCD with a global shutter. End of story, because there is no story.

Bill

Yes. It's a CCD. there is no jello. CMOS cameras all suffer from some form of jello, even the high end cameras (won't name names) produce it just on a lesser scale via faster scans but it still exists, the images on CMOS are qualitatively different as motion looks more plastic imo. this has everything to do with vertical scan. higher end cams do it quicker, but it's a fundamental problem that they ignore because of the economics in manufacturing favor CMOS and it's easier to dump 4k (albeit with an inferior image). most digital camera manufacturers don't make films and have never been in the film biz. i would advise not getting too involved in numbers. in the end, overall image quality trumps "digital dynamic range" and resolution. (remember the megapixel thing years ago). and the iphone shoots 1080p like the alexa.

ishoot720p

What's the prove? Quite a damn bit! So far there has been no footage showing how well the camera works under quick camera movements ,multiple objects moving within the frame or anything that can cause jello. You may not care about wobbly footage but I and many others do and want to actually SEE that it' s been eradicated.

sunny16

Again. The D16 uses a CCD. It has a global shutter. Global shutters don't jello. Period. There is nothing to test or prove about that. It's an engineering fact.

Most CMOS sensors have a rolling shutter that will cause jello. The better ones like you find in an Alexa or Red have a rolling shutter with an extremely fast readout, so jello will only show up in the most extreme cases, like a wip pan. But you will not be able to see it in the wip pan, because of the nature of the wip pan.

Some CMOS sensors have a global shutter, so jello is not a problem, but these are far and few in between (See SonyF55).

Bill

i disagree with ben. we are now in the aesthetics game, and not about digital resolution and image sharpness. there are a wide dimension of digital tools available and the artist will select what he deems is appropriate to the projecct. newer is no longer better.

ishoot720p

I love that artists have amazing tools now. However, we still have to consider budgets. For $3k+, you can get a Bolex with no lenses or a BMPCC with a garbage bag full of lenses. Cost is part of the equation for many.

ben prater

If you're spending $2k on a camera, and get a garbage bag of lenses with it for $3k...it's a bag of garbage lenses.

Pat

Probably an extreme example, but he also said the pocket cam, which is $1000.

Tom

Still not going to get you much in terms of glass...

Pat

Still not going to get you much in terms of glass...which I assume you're only speaking about ownership and not rental.

Pat

$3000 will get you the BMPCC, the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 or Oly 17mm, Lumix 25mm f/1.4 and a legacy 50mm with adapter. What else you need?

BrianA

But it won't get you 2.5k, it won't get rid of jello shutter, it won't get you XLR inputs, it won't get you weather sealing, it won't get you the batter life, and frankly the myriad of other features that the D16 gets you. Do you even understand film making?

Also for fuck's sake, Black Magic and Digital Bolex are not at war! The D16 will have an extremely small market share and it's written into their business model! I don't understand why people always assume that one company has to win, and one has to lose. These are both excellent choices for film makers and we should be thrilled they exist. Why not be supportive instead of a troll?

Mark

+1 Mark

Pat

Ha ha! That's what I was thinking!

David

LOL!

Brian

Sure, just don't pan your BMPC too quickly or shoot out of a moving car, down shots out of a heli, or shoot a spinning airplane propeller, spinning fans, gunfire, strobes, maybe emergency vehicles etc. It's also compressed vs RAW. Whole different camera.

George

looks great. I'm a fan of what ccd and global shutter does.

cee

I liked it overall, but it looks like it was shot at 1/25th shutter speed. I honestly hate that, completely against the filmic look, and kinda masks how good or bad the motion rendering of the camera is (although there isn't much movement in these shots). Also there's some ghosting it seems.
It'd be nice to see more footage with the shutter set at 180º.

August 14, 2013

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but according to the comments on their website, their shutter angle was locked by the camera due to the firmware still being in development. This was not their choice of angle.

Marcos

Yes. Luke mentioned it later in another comment and I read it last night. I guess it's great that the developers are showing progress and turning this inot a real camera. But it'd be nice if they showed a real final image because unfinished work tends to give the wrong impression about the actual capabilities of the camera.
Again, it's nice to see progress as well.

August 15, 2013

You realize that's a feature you can change right? Global shutter...good! The point was not to critique their stylistic choice. That's sort of like complaining because it's not in 4:3.

Mark

Much more interesting. It's still not 100% of what I would expect, but it does seem like they're posting a lot of images as they progress, which might not make a great first impression but does make some sense for a crowd-sourced project.

Currently the dropbox account with the footage is saying they're getting too much traffic, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Colin

Bolex D16: Behind the Scenes "Searching for focus edition" heh heh.

I think it'd be fun to use one of these, and looking forward to the custom s16 lenses they are making in the future.

what is the price?