October 16, 2013

Having Trouble Charging Canon LP-E6 DSLR Batteries? You May Not Be the Only One

Canon LP-E6 BatteryCanon's LP-E6 batteries are used in all sorts of devices, from the Canon 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and 7D cameras, to external monitors like those from SmallHD -- and even in other accessories used to power filmmaking gear. If you happen to own or use Genuine and Third Party LP-E6s, and you've had issues charging them in the Canon LC-E6 charger, the company has just issued a product advisory. Click through for the symptoms and how you can fix the issue with your batteries.

Here is the advisory, thanks to Canon Rumors for the heads-up:

Affected Product
Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack when used with the Canon LC-E6 Charger
(Compatible with Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EOS 70D, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da)

Symptom
In rare cases, the orange lamp on the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 will blink rapidly at regular intervals when the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 is inserted. In such cases, charging the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 in the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 is not possible.

This symptom may occur when a Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 has been discharged due to being unused for a prolonged period of time, such as when it is first purchased.

Canon LP-E6 Battery Indicator

And how to fix it:

Procedure

1. Plug the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6, with the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 inserted, into a power outlet.
  2. Wait for 20 seconds.If during this time the orange lamp blinks once per second, please continue to charge the battery until the green lamp lights up, which indicates a full charge. At this point, the battery is ready for normal use, and there is no need to follow the remaining steps.
    If during this time the orange lamp blinks rapidly, please move on to Step 3 of this procedure.
  3. If the orange lamp blinks rapidly, remove the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 from the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6.
  4. Wait for 10 seconds.
  5. Reinsert the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 into the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6.
  6. The Canon Battery Charger LC-E6’s orange lamp should begin to flash slowly (once per second) and charging will begin.Please note: If the orange lamp blinks rapidly again, please repeat steps 3-5 above. If, after a third attempt, the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 does not charge, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center for assistance.
  7. Charge the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 until the green lamp on the Canon Battery Charger LC-E6 illuminates, signifying that the Canon Battery Pack LP-E6 is fully charged.

Canon also mentions that this issue can occur if you are using third-party batteries in the genuine Canon charger, but the same procedure may not work. If you use your batteries all the time this may not be an issue, but if you've got a few that haven't been used in a long time, they may not charge correctly right away. I've got at least a half-dozen LP-E6s (I'm sure some of you have many, many more), so I don't normally use the Canon charger, and instead work with third-party dual chargers (which have not failed me yet, fingers crossed).

While we're on the subject of batteries, it's worth noting that just because a third-party battery is listed as having a higher power rating, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to last longer than the stock Canon battery. I've found that many third-party batteries will last about as longer or even less regardless of the rating on the battery.

What has your experience been with Canon batteries? Have you come across the issue in the product advisory above?

Link: LP-E6 Product Advisory -- Canon

[via Canon Rumors]

Aha .... so someone else also had this problem!

I thought 5 out of 7 of my LP-E6's batteries had taken a one way trip to battery heaven!

AJ

October 16, 2013 at 9:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

AJ

Good to know this is a common problem! Two of my LP-E6s misbehaved in the charger yesterday, and many many times before:)

October 16, 2013 at 9:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yes! Have been having this issue for MONTHS. I found the work around on my own but am going to get a gang charger anyway, I need more than singles on set.

Any ideas on a gang charger? :)

October 16, 2013 at 9:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yes, I use the batteries for my Small HD and I noticed that my OLD Canon charger charges Canon and 3rd party batteries OK (sometimes it has hang ups, but OK for the most part. I got a NEW Canon charger 2 months ago and had to return it because it did not charge 3rd party batteries at all. I ended up getting an STK 3rd party charger which works for all Canon and Pearstone LP-E6 batteries.

October 16, 2013 at 9:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene Sung

Same here, my 5Dmk2 charger accept all batteries while the charger provided with the mk3 doesn't. I was starting to think i was crazy :P

October 16, 2013 at 1:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Guillaume

There is an easy fix for this, there are 4 contacts on the LP batteries: 2 large metal contacts and 2 smaller hidden ones ... take a thick paper business card and thoroughly clean the smaller contacts. Rapid flashing light syndrome fixed.

October 16, 2013 at 10:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That's what I did. Works great.

October 16, 2013 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

Bloody brilliant! Thanks for that!

October 17, 2013 at 3:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sam

This worked well enough, mostly.

So I thought I'd attempt something a little more extensive. Which also worked. Use a toothbrush to rub cleaner (then dry off) then WD-40 (then dry off) across the contacts. Documented here: http://leonbrooks.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/making-good-canon-lp-e6-batter...

August 18, 2015 at 12:35AM

Leon Brooks
Computer analyst/programmer, we fix anything.

Hey Joe!

Sorry for being somewhat off topic , but Sony just launched 2 mirrorless full frame cameras, and I believe they have great video features. Some of your readers might be interested in one of these two new Sony cameras.

Here are the reviews of both shot on the A7 camera($1700). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvgceTEV3c

October 16, 2013 at 12:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ramaatis

And here is some interesting facts about the NEW SONY RX10 1inch sensor camera also released with the 2 new full frame cameras.
CHECK IT OUT HERE: http://www.eoshd.com/content/11337/surprise-new-sony-rx10-sensor-full-pixel-readout-5k-raw-video-output

October 16, 2013 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ramaatis

I thought that the orange light rapidly increases blinking as it nears full charging and then the light goes green? That's what I read on the manual. Hmmm.

October 16, 2013 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I had the same problem, the light blinks rapidly on the canon charger with 3rd party batteries. I left the batteries there and they charged. The light kept blinking though. When I put them on the 3rd party charger the light is green.

October 16, 2013 at 6:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

maghoxfr

Without a doubt, the genuine Canon battery that came with my 7D works like the first day after 3 years, I have a couple non-canon batteries that work just fine, but not as good. Normally I try to use each battery in its own time to save power. I will probably use the Canon one for the main thing in whatever I'm filming (interviews or whatever) and the others for important but not main content (like cutaways and such). This way I know I will be safe and covered every time I go out in a shoot with my own camera.

At work, I use a 5D Mk II and same happens. The Canon battery has been over used but it is still reliable. The non-canon battery I might as well throw away, it will last less than 10 mins...

I want to advice here one thing though. We recently purchased a Canon (or supposed to be Canon) battery on Amazon and I could tell it was false straight away. It appears to be legit, even the box and all. But the battery is slightly shinier than the original. It definitely will not last as long as the original (not as bad as the non-canon one) and if you look behind, original Canon batteries have a serial number, this one doesn't... What I am trying to say is that if you want to buy a Canon battery go to a store or official retailer. Otherwise, you might be buying a false item. If you don't mind, Amazon or Ebay are just fine with a lot of product.

October 17, 2013 at 7:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pol

wooh, didn't know this is an official issue... Whenever this happened to me, I just reinserted the battery several times until it worked...

October 17, 2013 at 3:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thank you for the post - I have this EXACT problem with almost all of my 3rd party batteries. I thought maybe the batteries were toast because they were cheap Chinese knockoffs.

October 18, 2013 at 12:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Aaron

Hi

I have tried my Canon battery (around 1.5 years old but used only occasionally ) in the Canon charger a number of times and just tried the cleaning contacts with a business card trick. Alas it did not work. Is there any other way to clean these contacts - can anyone recommend a cleaning fluid perhaps? Bit frustrating. Upon contacting Canon Customer Service their advice was to "buy another". Thanks.

October 29, 2013 at 5:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

EP

Did you try the fix in the main posting, with the battery charger on and blinking rapidly, unplug the battery from the charger, whilst the charger is still on, wait 10 seconds and then plug the battery back in. If unsuccessful, try a couple more times. It worked for me at the first attempt after having the fault for a year!!

November 19, 2013 at 6:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin Price

Thanks a lot, absolutely brilliant! I have had this problem for ages and not used my camera because of it. I couldn't get the batteries to charge as I always isolated the power before battery removal!

I now have charging batteries!! Lots of worries gone!!

November 19, 2013 at 6:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin Price

Fully up and running again, feeling very relieved and happy!

November 19, 2013 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Colin Price

I just bought a 7D from Canon. Opened the battery out of a new package, and tried charging it. Immediately I ran into the erratic blinking problem. I've tried the original fix listed here in this thread, as well as the business card tip, several times apiece. I'm not having any luck. The original problem is still prevalent.

December 4, 2013 at 11:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sarah

This solution worked perfectly as described for my new battery and charger! Thanks for posting :)

December 31, 2013 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Amber

I left the charger plugged into the wall, as described in the thread, not sure if that was necessary, but it worked.

December 31, 2013 at 10:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Amber

On mine one slow blink is charging correctly when battery is drained. Two blinks and a pause is still charging, battery now at 25%. Etc until a steady orange means fully charged.

December 31, 2013 at 10:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Amber

Thanks it worked after about 6 tries. Helpful post.

January 9, 2014 at 9:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jl

Thanks a lot. I was thought that its just dead because its one of those fakes.

January 10, 2014 at 6:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Pavel

Hi everyone. I hope you'll be considerate enough to help me. I have a Canon 60D and I just bought a pair of 3rd party battery for my battery grip. It says at the back of the battery (Fits CAN.LP-E6) also it is a 7.4V 2200mAh.

My problem is:
1. First of all, do LP-E6 7.4V 2200mAh is really compatible with Canon 60D?? (im puzzled/doubtful right now...)

2. The 3rd party batt wont charge with the Original Canon 60D charger.

3. I tried putting it in the batt grip and turned on the camera.. It now says "Cannot communicate with the battery. Use this battery?" when clicked OK, I can view the photos but in the MAIN screen, the batt is empty.

4. In relation to #3, will it affect my Camera?? I mean I'm afraid for a short circuit or something close to that..

*** I still have a lot of questions in mind but for now, I will leave this 4 questions for all of you.. I hope you'll help me figure this out. Thank you very much. :)

January 24, 2014 at 1:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Chris

I just purchesed 2-3rd party batteries on Amazon. One charged fine with my brand new chargeer that came with my 60D & the other just gave the continuous orange blinking. I tried the fix of taking the battery out & reinserting it after 10 seconds with no results. (I tried that about 6-7 times instead of the 3 times suggested) Then I tried running a business card thru the 2 hidden contacts. I put it back on the charger & it's charging normally now! Thanks for all the advise, I was all ready to contact Amazon & send it back.

January 30, 2014 at 9:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jim

The battery that came with my new camera did exactly as described above, fast blinking light, didn't take a charge. After reading your fix i followed these steps, and within 4/5 hours, battery had a full charge. Thank you

February 1, 2014 at 6:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

AnnetteH

What about if it doesn't charge when its blinking once every second?? Canon have an answer for that???

February 9, 2014 at 12:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hendrick

Phew thanks for this, I just bought a Canon 70d after I superfried my 600d and after waiting 3 weeks for the camera to be shipped I couldn't get the camera to work even though I had (or so I thought) charged the battery for 12 hours. I had assumed the ornage blinking lights meant it was 75% charged as per the manual. Was thinking I would have to send it back...seems to be charging now. I was thinking part of the problem is that they sent a travel charger rather than the nice charger I had for the 600d. Also why can they not have the same battery, I would have 2 spares now, 1 genuine 1 generic (which has always worked pretty good) and a nice charger that doesn't mind what batteries it has in it!

March 1, 2014 at 10:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

MariaB

Same issue. Charged new 70d battery overnight. Needed to use this morning but battery hadn't charged. Trying again now. Pretty ticked off.

March 8, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

cody

Wow, just came back from returning the 70D to the store, b/c I could not get the battery to charge. Tried the new battery AND the back up battery. Each were charged for over 12 hrs (thinking new battery might need more initial charge) Still nothing. So, returned the whole set. Now am about to charge the 2nd set of batteries and will try this technique. Thanks for sharing. :-) Have not seen though.....do you only have to do this trick on the initial charge, or will you need to keep an eye out every time you charge it?

March 17, 2014 at 7:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sandra

SPAMMER!!!

March 29, 2014 at 6:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John

Oh my gosh!!! After 4 days of fighting and trying to get my new Canon battery to charge I'm so glad I found the info here. The business card trick worked!! Thank you!!

April 8, 2014 at 8:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Melissa

Just bought a 70D today and plugged in the battery to charge. It immediately began the rapid blinking. 4 hours later still the same so put it in the camera. No power. Started Googling and found this thread.

Have just plugged the charger into another outlet by my desk and it's now blinking much slower, hopefully charging. Did notice before that the battery wasn't even getting warm in the charger, too early to tell if it will now but fingers crossed

May 14, 2014 at 7:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ken

I had this problem with a 3rd party LP-E6 battery in the Canon LC-E6E charger. I tried the above fix, without any success. But I finally got it to charge by placing the battery into the charger tilted at an angle (ie. not properly slotted-in) and this worked. Obviously bad connection issues with this charger, as this battery was always accepted, and could be registered, when inside the (EOS 70D) camera.

May 22, 2014 at 3:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter

Thanks for the tip! Just received my 70D and was going to ship it back until I found this fix. Let my battery charge overnight and still nothing. Did your suggestion above and it is now charging. Thank you!

May 23, 2014 at 8:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dave

My off brand batteries do the same.
Works fine for photo's, just don't know how much batt is left but with 2 in the grip will shoot over 500.
using for video I found it stopped recording thinking the batt was dead.
Genuine canon's work better.

June 9, 2014 at 12:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

steve

I just bought 3 genuine LP-E6 batteries with 3 chargers used on Ebay.
All three chargers don't work but batteries charge on a 3rd party charger.
Got partial refunds so ended up about $12 for a used batt which they all seem fine.
Turns out the 2 small connectors on the charger are made of a brass like metal and were tarnished.
I used a brass wire brush and cleaned them up and now works great.
You could just scratch them with a screw driver also just be sure to have unplugged first.
The 2 larger shinny wire connectors on the chargers were not connected to anything so just provide friction to hold batt. in place.
If taking charger apart there is one small screw under the back label. pressing around with finger you can find it.
I broke one open to see and can plastic weld the screw tab back in place easily.
The 2 sides come unsnapped easily after removing the screw.

June 9, 2014 at 3:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

steve

just purchased a LP E 6 battery from 7dayshop.com tried charging it on my LC-E6 charger but got rapid flashing charge light try as in post but no joy .was wondering if charger was compatible with charger ? can any body help
Ray

July 13, 2014 at 2:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ray

Hi everyone,

I've fixed the problem with my electrician co-worker teacher's help.

If any of others suggestions and solutions might not seems to work with you guys try these:

THE PROBLEM:
The battery is dried out, meaning the battery is dead.

THE SOLUTION:
You need to SHOCK the battery like a dying man being shocked by "Defibrillator" in the hospital.

EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
-Regulated DC Power Supply
-Continuity tester cables
-Alligator clips

IF you don't have these resources just go to an electronics shop and do the same procedures OR just buy a new battery. XD

PROCEDURE:
Step 1: Set the Regulator to at least twice the batteries needed voltage(Depend on you)
Step 2: If you see that the battery is alive lowers the voltages to the battery's need for about 20-30 minutes.
Step 3: Try the battery in the charger if the blinking stops, if not repeat step 2(But I think 20-30 minutes is enough)

And there you go. You battery is alive and ready for work!

July 14, 2014 at 6:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jordan

SHAME ON YOU CANON. ++++ LC-E6 battery charger don't charge battery replacements as Pearstone. ++++

If you want to use another type of batteries, please don't buy the LC-E6 Charge, better using a generic charger.

July 24, 2014 at 7:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Manuel

Vielen Dank!!!! I habe this new 60D and also this problem

July 25, 2014 at 2:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oscar

Same problem with LP-E6 - today the Canon fix is simply turn the charger around in the wall socket, that is switch the orientation of the plug in the wall socket. I tried it and the fast blinking is now slow - have to wait until it cahrges to test it.

George Layne

September 6, 2014 at 2:20PM

Ok So I'm running into this issue also.
The 3rd party batteries in question giving me issues are the Opteka brand which are carry overs from my 7D.
in 2013 I bought a Canon LC-E6E battery charger through Amazon UK and had this shipped to my mothers house in the UK (I live in Florida) was getting ready for a trip so decided I would get this sent ahead of time and be there waiting for me.

Battery charger that came with my 7D was the USA version (LC-E6) with the two prongs that flip out and allow it to be plugged into the receptacle in the wall.
The nice thing about the LC-E6E was that it was auto switchable between voltages and Hz depending on the countries, all that was needed to be changed out was the cable, for the respective country. Great charger why doesn't Canon ship these standard with all cameras, regardless of where in the world, would be cheaper for canon production wise to have "one global unit"
Cool, now I can now charge two batteries for my battery grip.

So move on to 2015 bought a Canon 7D MKII, low and behold it comes with the LC-E6E charger. so now I have two, excellent much better system. (or so I thought)

OK so I have two genuine canon batteries, 4 sterlingtek and 4 opteka batteries.
The canons and Sterlingtek batteries charge ok in any of the 3 canon chargers.

The opteka batteries have started giving me issues, but after trial and error have determined that it is only in the 7D MK II LC-E6E charger, but after using the business card trick on the contacts and trying in this newer LC-E6E charger numerous times, its still giving my the constant blinking LED.
So I tried these Opteka batteries in the older LC-E6E charger and the old LC-E6 charger (flip out two prong USA charger) and they are now charging fine.
So i've come to the conclusion there must be something updated in the electronics of the newer charger. So my advice is to follow the advice posted here about cleaning the contacts, if you're going to buy 3rd party batteries I would stick with the Sterlingtek's for right now.
I wish Canon would drop the price of their batteries, so that we would not have to resort to using the 3rd party batteries.

February 23, 2016 at 9:49AM, Edited February 23, 9:49AM