November 9, 2013

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Filmmaking (in 240+ Links)

film ltk links tutorials knowledge filmmaking camera shooting cinematography tips tricks directingLast year, NFS readers heard from Tobias Deml when he did something awesome -- rigging an Android tablet not only as a Canon DSLR monitor, but also a touch-screen controller. Now, Toby has shared something even more awesome. Over the course of a year or so, he thought it may be useful to compile an organized list of filmmaking links on everything from shooting to rigging to costuming to distributing. The result is FILM LTK -- standing for links, tutorials, and knowledge -- and useful it most understatedly is. For Toby's breakdown of over 250 links to all things filmmaking, check below.

Toby was kind enough to reach out to us with this wealth of material. In its introduction, he states:

Everyone has to go through their own journey of discovery, wonder, failure and success, studying, sleepless nights and long work days to achieve anything in any profession.

I believe that the only way the world will ever become better is by sharing experiences and teaching each other, making ones’ own path easier for the next person to walk on, until it is a highway for thousands. The more people become successful in one field, and the quicker they learn their skillset, the more likely it is that one of them will discover something that pushes the envelope even further, and expands the possibilities of everyone else.

And, to that end, FILM LTK has quite a bit to offer; some of which comes from Toby himself, the rest of which comes from around the web:

Nothing can substitute experience, but it never hurts to prepare yourself ahead of time as much as possible. Of course, the proliferation and accessibility of filmmaking information is a central theme 'round these parts, not to mention many other sites. Given the expansiveness of the web, actually finding the information is as key as the information itself. It's compendiums like FILM LTK that make a potentially overwhelming volume of material surmountable. FILM LTK is a resource of resources, and one that can continue growing.

Even after a year of gathering, I'm sure FILM LTK barely scratches the surface of what's out there, and on that note, Toby is taking requests. He says he's ready and willing to expand on his list given any suggestions and tip-offs from the community. So, be sure to feast your eyes on his keen compiling, and let Toby know if he's missed something!

Link: FILM LTK – 240+ Filmmaking Links, Tutorials & Knowledge

Yeah Tobyy! I knew your article would find some good distribution on the web :D I guess it isn't just me using it after all!

November 9, 2013 at 2:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ace

It's funny to see, I do something similar using pinterest with boards about screenwriting, preproduction, post-production, distribution etc.: http://www.pinterest.com/eremin/
Maybe someone will find something helpful.
Cheers,
Petr

November 9, 2013 at 2:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Great tip Petr, fantastic collection! I also use pinterest but found it hard to keep an overview. I will include your pinterest boards in the LTK - thanks for the tip!

November 9, 2013 at 6:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You'r welcome Tobias,
glad you like it!

November 10, 2013 at 6:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I think I just followed about 8 or 9 of your boards!

November 14, 2013 at 4:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anne

Thanks for sharing this amazing wealth of information!

November 9, 2013 at 8:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Wow, Tobias. This list blows my list away. I started doing the same thing almost a year ago, and have been adding to it. I guess i can stop now lol. http://editcellar.com/the-mack-daddy-list-of-resources-for-filmmakers/

November 10, 2013 at 8:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This is great Peter, I'll add it to the "Tutorial Collections" :)

November 30, 2013 at 2:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Too much-to-read…. Just, … two eyes…. WHY DO I HAVE ONLY TWO EYES!?

November 10, 2013 at 1:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

edgar

thanks for the article…i would just like to add this link…this past year I discovered the wonders of FILM!http://www.indiewire.com/article/10-reasons-why-filmmakers-should-shoot-...

November 11, 2013 at 4:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DIO

Speaking of rigging an external tablet - you can rig an Ipad as a wireless monitor and controller using the CamRanger (camranger.com). I just bought one, and combined with my recently-purchased Canon 70D, I see the live feed and can trigger the camera's new precision focus system by just touching the spot I want to focus on. It does much more than that, of course, but being able to use my retina tablet as a wireless monitor and control focus with it, was what I was mainly after. I believe the CamRanger may also work with Android devices. In any event, it's a great device.

November 12, 2013 at 12:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Don

OMG, I'm losing my girlfriend...

November 14, 2013 at 5:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

After youve earned your own free Minecraft account, if you find
that you want the idea of completing surveys totally free
stuff, then keep earning. You can check out the latest screenshots from the
console port of the open-world sandbox video game in the slideshow near the top
of this article. Next you will need to burn the ISO
you just downloaded to CD or USB drive.

December 9, 2013 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Amazing issues here. I'm very glad to see your article. Thanks so much and I am
taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

December 28, 2013 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?

I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
I know my viewers would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

December 31, 2013 at 7:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate
to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed
to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this
site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

December 31, 2013 at 11:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM