Superproducer Ted Hope on...

December 9, 2013

The Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge Can Make Your Film Cameras Go Digital

There is no shortage of film cameras on the market these days. From small 8mm and Super 8 cameras to Super 16 and Super 35 film cameras, there are many available for rental or purchase. In a technical sense, these cameras can never truly become obsolete because they are analogue and purely mechanical by nature. There's only one problem: film is really damn expensive. Not only the stock itself, but the processing and the DI as well. But what if these old mechanical cameras could be repurposed with modern technology in order to create digital images? Well, with the Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge, they can.

At first glance, the idea seems kind of crazy. Why use film cameras to capture a digital image? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Well, yes and no. Of course, many people shoot film because they prefer the aesthetic. However, in the case of the Super 8 cameras that took the proprietary Kodak film cartridges (which apparently you can still buy), an innovation like this has the potential to give new life to hardware that would otherwise sit and gather dust indefinitely.

With the hope of creating a product that could allow people to repurpose some of the cool old Super 8 cameras, designer Hayes Urban set out to create a digital cartridge. What he came up with was the Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge. Here's what he had to say about the device:

At the heart of the Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge is a tiny but powerful 5 megapixel image sensor similar to the one in your smartphone. Combined with a custom glass objective lens, the sensor focuses on a ground glass image plane pressed against the camera’s film gate. By using a 5 megapixel sensor we can capture 720p HD footage at the native Super 8 aspect ratio of 4:3.

Processors integrated into the image sensor are able to  process and encode the footage in real time to a removable SD card. Optionally the same processors can apply one of two predefined Film Look color correction filters to the footage.
That sounds simple enough, To allow the Nolab cartridge’s image sensor to synchronize with the camera’s shutter, a unique sensor had to be developed. It’s this design that allows the cartridge to work properly in any camera at any frame rate up to 60 fps.

Nolab 2

Here are the basic specs:

Features

• 720p HD video capture in 4:3 format
  • Frame rate automatically adjusts to camera settings (up to 60 fps)
  • Integrated Film Look options
  • Unlimited storage via removable SD card
  • Battery and recording status light

Specifications

• Image Sensor: 5 megapixel Omni Vision OV5600 series
  • Video Encoding: 720p HD H.264 (4:3)
  • Memory: Removable high capacity SD card
  • Connections: One mini USB port (primarily for charging)
  • Battery: Rechargeable LiPo battery providing up to 3 hours of continuous recording
  • Housing: Machined aluminum, color anodized and laser etched
  • Height: 70mm
  • Width: 75mm
  • Depth: 24mm
  • Weight: 160g

This is one of those developments that is fantastic conceptually, but for people who are serious about filmmaking, a 720p 4:3 image compressed to h.264 is not going to cut it. With that said, however, this device is only in the early stages of development, so depending on what kind of imaging and processing technology ends up in the cartridge, it could potentially end up with higher resolution and a better codec (maybe even Cinema DNG).

If that were to happen, then we could very well see a resurgence of Super 8 cameras being used by budding filmmakers. (It certainly seems preferable to cell phone filmmaking.) Depending on how expensive the Nolab cartridge is (if it ever hits the market), this could potentially be a much cheaper way for people to get started with budget filmmaking. Considering how abundant and cheap Super 8 cameras are, it's not a stretch to imagine this being a solid budget option if the technology inside the cartridge improves.

If you want to read more about the Nolab Digital Super 8 Cartridge, head over to Hayes Urban's site to get the full report. If you're interested in the device, make sure you voice your support while you're there, because this is certainly the type of product that can be successfully kickstarted.

[Note: An earlier version of this article stated that Kodak film cartridges had been discontinued , which was incorrect. We have since updated the information. NFS regrets the error.]

What do you guys think? Could this potentially be a viable product for filmmakers if the imaging technology improves,  or are those old super8 cameras completely irrelevant in the modern day? Let us know your thoughts down in the comments!

Link: Digital Super 8 -- Hayes Urban

This blows my mind..

Ian B

Amazing...imagine this with a 2K sensor? Or a 4K one? I'll support this.

December 7, 2013

It's a cool idea. Would be great to be able to film on an old 8mm camera, with the engine whirring away.

That said, it's perhaps too technical a product to appeal to people who are not film tech nerds - you have to have or find a working 8mm camera that takes kodak cartridges. Film tech nerds who want the 8mm look can use other methods, like vintage lenses on the Blackmagic Pocket.

I'd guess there's not enough of a market to make it viable, but if the makers are looking for Beta testers, please let me know

Alex Davidson

There are millions of functional super 8 cameras in basements, attics, closets and thrift stores. They all use the same cartridge. This is actually quite viable. Especially with hipsters.

December 7, 2013

I bought a Canon 514 XL-S with a constan f1.4 zoom. More of a present to myself than anything.
Was thinking about shooting something in Super8 film just to try it out, but actually being able to shoot digital with it would be crazy!

And it's the physical shutter that makes the most difference to me.

December 8, 2013

Imagine if they made these for 35mm? Buy an Arri 2C on eBay for a couple thousand bucks then a 4K digital cartridge....bam. As long as the cartridge was reasonably priced, that's a beautiful idea *tears*

Kahriq

The challenges of making this work for threaded 35mm cameras is a bit beyond current technology methinks, but give it time.

December 7, 2013

Aaton Digital Mag for the Pelelope was a concept that could have happened.

Paul Watt

If that happens, those cameras would suffer an instant price boost.

maghoxfr

I smell an anamorphic adapter.

Louis

I've been thinking about this for years. Glad someone's finally giving it a serious attempt.

December 7, 2013

If they get the price right an interestung novelty.... But with plugins etc i kinda think why would you?

Paul Russell

Because instead of getting an entire new camera system, you could just get a new brain for the camera you already have. It's really no different than buying a new camera body, but using the same lenses.

Plus it'd be fun.

Jake

What is the cost of the cartridge?

Everette

I still shoot Super8, have 6 cartridges left. Would love to have this, but all depends on the pricepoint.

December 7, 2013

I'd be interested to see some footage!

david

Who said Super 8 has been discontinued? It's still alive and functioning and has a very dedicated fanbase. Filmshooting.com is entirely devoted to the low gauge format.

Bolex16

the I see only one proble. 720 is too small.

Nelson

They tried this with still cameras and it was a complete flop. There are certainly zillions of unused film cameras out there, but this type of "solution" is just stupid. Just buy a digital camera to shoot digital and if you want to use antique or outdated equipment by the film that it is designed to work with.

Elliot

Neat, would like to see it paired with a small anamorphot.

Anthony Marino

OMG, I was considering selling my Beaulieu 4008, but now it could be a nice camera!

Simon

I would probably buy one. There are tons of 8mm cams to be had.

December 7, 2013

I shoot Super 8 in my elementary and middle school classes (we raise the money for telecine and film costs every semester). This sounds really cool. It would also be very useful as a simple way to test your Super 8 camera to see if it's working properly without having to run film through it. Usually it's a crap shoot, but this would be a great way to make sure all the components are working. How clever!

December 7, 2013

So glad I kept my first camera - as Super8 Canon 1014xls! I will have to try this!!!

Taras D

This is NOT a REAL product guys haha, its a theoretical concept design, trust me I wish it were so...check the date of the page and the other products haha...

Zachariah

what he said. lol

steve

This reminds me of a laser player that could read the old vinyl records digitally ... which was a commercial flop.

DLD

This is really, really cool!!!!

Cirillo

Soooo... if I buy a Bolex, and I advertise I shoot digital with it, can I be sued?

THAT Guy

Hehe make it very cheap and you can sell some, othervise its a flop. But they will start with high price and it will be doomed. There was concept with swapable digi 16mm mag for Arri cameras from one English developer but it never come to the light. I think everybody will love this, but nobody will buy it. :D Also 720p is too low resolution. But wat about that Super duper 8? You make bigger gate with file and you will get 16:9. ;)

Kuk

nice..recycle..recycle…!!!!! these cameras are like swiss watches…I bought a super 16mm and 35 mm camera..original price around 200,000

also I am shooting on film and it's cheaper than digital…super 16 or 35mm…because you save so much on the post….and the images are stunning…and a 35mm movie camera is future proof!! I love it!

DIO

Because you save so much in the post and pay so much for processing and telecine. This pro-analog film bullshit is hilarious.

Natt

try it…film camera..cost processing vs rental of high end digital camera…and post…(for a normal production film is cheaper) if you know what your doing... I'm a student…and for me once you have the camera it is MUCH CHEAPER…(digital just has a lot more marketing…it's all a business to them)
(for larger productions they save the expense of archiving on film because they have already shot on film)
that's why you have BOARDWALK EMPIRE…and BREAKING BAD …saving with film

anyway try it yourself ..film started it all and is thriving in the digital world… from big production effects movies to stunning dcps..

DIO

I fail to see why so many digital image makers are so threatened by analog film that they have to resort to calling a mature, established medium, "bullshit". So, 120 years of images don't impress you? Methinks the bullshit term is going in the wrong direction...

December 9, 2013

Kinemech

Hi
I was wondering if someone would do this as it's being done for long for the medium format still cameras.
It would be great to have this, and I think it wouln't be relevant to use HD or more, as the lens would be the limit anyway for the real definition. 720p is he right choice i guess.
Let's go for it. (I could use my old 8mm camera, that's standing on a shelf for nothing nowadays)

Te o Nobahite

Apparently this guy is a designer, and this product will never materialize. I think it's a great idea, and maybe if the camera had a crystal sync it might work. But the variable shutter of the mechanical film camera makes this impossible with current tech.

Ted

I don't thing you bothered to read the website and or understand the concept being put forward. Event triggered digital cameras have been around for years in machine vision. Frame stores can hold an image and duplicate it against a time base until the next event trigger, or even interpolate movement, although I doubt a cartridge of that size has enough horsepower to interpolate in realtime. Seems most of the objections are "religion-based", (anti-film) rather than reality based. There are many paths to image making.

December 9, 2013

Kinemech

This is really astounding! I hope the best for the people over Nolab.

Edward Ornelas

Saied

I still remember RE-35 which got analog still film crowd excited couple years ago - http://re35.net/ LOL

Natt

Interesting, I suppose. But is not the "filmic esthetic" ,or in particular, that 8mm film look, lost when not actually recording to film (or 8mm film)?

wsmith

Nice idea but will stick with GH3 for now

Zusus

720p could be well enough as far as resolution goes... but I think they need to consider RAW-functionality if they want it to be taken seriously. At least for short bursts.

And for those who say that is doomed because it's flopped before probably should remember a story I heard about some engineers over at Ericsson who worked on this new-fangled idea of portable phones behind their executives back. Because Ericsson tried to launch that concept in the fifties and it flopped, so why would it work now, they reasoned. Well those older products were extremely primitive and barely worked. And also, thwy weighed a ton.

Now, do I think it will sell like hot-cakes (I'm a swede and not entirely sure what a hot-cake is)? No, not really. Yes, there are tons of cameras lying around. But of those, the vast majority are collecting dust simply because their owners aren't interested in using them any more than museum-pieces at best. Of those in filmmakers hands, most don't run, and of those that do, their owners are more of a film> digital person in the first place. So the market for a digital cartridge isn't exactly booming yet. And it's easier to get these pictures with off-the-shelf complete point-and-shooters too... but sure, if they budget this right as the narrow niche-product it is, itwill probably breake even when targeted to the right crowd.

December 8, 2013

I am not surprised but am concerned when false information is branded about as fact, which is irresponsible. The Super 8 cartridges have not been discontinued as the article states. Film is not as expensive as people make out and there are quite a few different film stocks available in Super 8, far more than there were when Super 8 was the popular home movie making medium.

P

Pj

Well, it turned out to be more expensive than I had expected. About 30 Euro for 2.5 min film plus 20 Euro for its development. If you want sound, digitization is facultative, and separate sound recording as well.

December 9, 2013

Thyl Engelhardt

Hmm... Film stock (even Super 8) is pretty expensive, especially the development. Besides that, stock like Kodachrome can not even be developed in color anymore, since the chemicals are not produced anymore. Only black & white... I would definitely use my super 8 camera's more if a product like this becomes available. Not for serious work, but definitely for the feel of using the camera itself.

December 11, 2013

I might be interested in a 35mm version to turn an old analogue SLR into a DSLR. :)

December 8, 2013

It'd be tough to fit a senor into smaller film planes :/

December 9, 2013

I've been wanting that as well, they did this joke some time ago: http://re35.net
It was an april fools joke. I discovered it in June, so I got really sad when I discovered that it was just a joke. Would love to play around more with my Nikon F3. But sometimes nothing can beat the feeling of loading it with a roll of Ektar :)

December 10, 2013