April 7, 2014

Blackmagic Unveils DaVinci Resolve 11, & It's Now a Fully Capable Editing System!

Blackmagic Design is on a roll at this year's NAB! In addition to the major announcement of two new camera systems - the URSA and the Studio Camera - Blackmagic also unveiled version 11 of their world-renowned color correction software, DaVinci Resolve. The new version contains a plethora of exciting new features, but most notably, and somewhat unsurprisingly, Resolve 11 has over 70 new editing features and is now a full-fledged editing solution! Check out the details below.

For anyone who has been following the progress of DaVinci Resolve since last year's NAB, the fact that the software is now a fully functional NLE should come as no surprise. It's something that has been in the works for a while. However, I'm not sure anybody expected full editing functionality so soon.

With that said, let's take a look at some of the best new features in Resolve 11. In terms of editing, Blackmagic has incorporated just about all of the features that one would expect from a modern NLE in the year 2014. Here's a quick rundown of what Resolve 11 brings to the table as an online editor:

• A timeline capable of mixing formats, frame rates, resolutions
  • A host of standard trimming tools with intuitive hovering for different types of trimming without changing tools (like Avid's Smart Tool)
  • Tons of standard video and audio transitions
  • The ability to mix audio
  • Re-sizing and re-timing of video
  • Apply OFX plugins
  • Keyframe everything from the timeline
  • Add creative titles

Unfortunately, I can't embed any of BM's new features videos here, so head on over to the DaVinci Resolve 11 page and check out their videos and photos.

In addition to the editing features, which are frankly pretty damn great, Blackmagic also added new features in both the media management and color correction categories. First and foremost, Resolve is now a fully capable cloning tool that can be used to create checksum verified backups of all of your media right on the set. Add to that the fact that Resolve now makes management of media simpler than ever directly within the media pool (with the ability to directly apply LUTs and change aspect ratios for large amounts of footage), and it's clear that Blackmagic wants Resolve to become an integral part of the on-set DIT workflow.

In terms of color correction, Blackmagic has added another feature which I absolutely love called "Automatic Color Match" that will be an absolute godsend for productions working with multiple cameras and multiple formats.

DaVinci Resolve’s new Color Match can automatically give you a primary base grade by analyzing shots containing standard color charts! Color Match lets you set the source gamma, target gamma and target color space for the chart used in your shot. Simply use the chip grid to identify the color chip chart and Resolve will automatically balance the images, even if they were shot on different cameras, under different lighting conditions and with different color temperatures!

There are a ton of new features in Resolve 11, so make sure you head on over to the main product page on the Blackmagic Design website to see them all, and be sure to check out the project videos while you're there. That will give you a much better idea of how powerful of an NLE Resolve 11 is.

What do you guys think of the new features in Resolve 11? Would you use Resolve as an NLE at this point? If not, what features would Blackmagic need to add in order to make it competitive with the other major NLE's? Let us know down in the comments!

Link: DaVinci Resolve 11 -- Blackmagic Design

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

Can't wait to get my hands on this.

April 7, 2014 at 4:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dominik Belancic

Did you feel that? That was Avids death rattle.

April 7, 2014 at 4:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

Avid reworked their Pro Tools too.
The question then becomes the price point (and how much of this is BMD giving away for free with their DaVinci Jr.?).

April 7, 2014 at 5:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Almost everything but noise reduction/motion blur and stereoscopic 3d stuff, as before, and the new collaborative features. You can check the full list here:

April 7, 2014 at 5:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

and Adobe's too

April 7, 2014 at 5:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

blackespresso

No Adobe will be fine. 'Super Indies' as I've started calling them aren't paying for CC anyway.
Can't wait to try this out.

April 7, 2014 at 6:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Amazing.

What's the status on hardware requirements. I want to get a laptop to edit footage on the road. Does it absolutely require a NVIDIA/CUDA card? Most interesting laptops I see only have the Intel HD4000 graphics

April 7, 2014 at 5:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Currently HD4000 graphics won't even run the GUI in Resolve, let alone make the calculations in the node tree. If you want to go down the laptop route, you either have to shell out for one with supported discreet graphics, or hope someone comes out with a Thunderbolt GPU enclosure someday. Or get a Cubix.

April 7, 2014 at 5:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adrian

Those actually exist. If Heri thinks that "interesting laptops" only include HD4000 GPUs, he definitely is not using a Macbook. For Windows, however, as far as I know, the existing external PCIe-boxes with TB Interface should work for graphics cards as well. It is only MacOSX that blocks using TB connected GPUs.

April 8, 2014 at 7:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Take a look at xoticpc.com

April 7, 2014 at 5:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

t. cal

I have a HP Envy which rocks the shit and has integrated CUDA graphics, 32GB ram, 1TB HD, i7 processor and 1080p display. No problem using resolve and Premiere with 4K editing/grading and cost me under £1,000 about a year ago. Calibrated the monitor and use it for on set work mainly and it does me nicely :)

April 7, 2014 at 6:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

thanks!! so buyin laptop to edit soon. i cant bear bein stuck inside.

April 8, 2014 at 5:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Ha! Same here. For most DIT jobs I could get away with less but the main reason I bought it was to be able to go and edit somewhere nice when I get sick of the same 4 walls. Best decision I ever made :)

April 8, 2014 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig, are you able to get the full UI of resolve onto your HP Envy's screen?

July 22, 2014 at 6:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rags

No, I've used Da Vinci on a ATI HD 6870. Having said that, I would highly recommend going NVIDIA with as many cores as possible. Look at perhaps the GeForce GTX 770 that has 1536 CUDA Cores.

April 8, 2014 at 4:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

justaguy

DaVinci Resolve runs fantastic on OPEN CL. For example the new D500/D700 MacPro's card.

So all you need is a great GPU that runs CUDA or OPEN CL.

April 9, 2014 at 6:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

jay

Very informative article.Really thank you! Really Cool.

April 7, 2014 at 5:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Great new features. Would be nice to FINALY have AVCHD working in Resolve though. Projects shot mostly on the FS700 I still grade in Speedgrade just because of that... a shame because Resolve is such a powerful tool.

April 7, 2014 at 5:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Haroun Souirji

How has Color Match not been featured in any color grading software before? (Or has it and I don't know about it.)

April 7, 2014 at 5:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anon

Right?! It seems like such a no-brainer! I'm not sure if there's a feature like that in Baselight, but I'm pretty sure Resolve is the first.

April 7, 2014 at 5:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker's Process

I think I read Foundry's Nuke had it, but can't find the link right now.

April 7, 2014 at 5:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Saied

FCPX has it ;)

April 7, 2014 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stan

No it doesn't. FCPX has a feature to match colors between two clips, but it can't analyze the color data from a standard color chart and use that data to generate a neutral grade. Two completely different things.

April 7, 2014 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker's Process

Ah, I was probably wrong too.

April 7, 2014 at 6:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Saied

The problem with all of these auto color matching tools is that they aren't very accurate. Even when matching color based on charts the software has a maximum of ~50 transformation vectors (depending on the number of individual color patches on the chart) which simply isn't enough for an accurate match.... It's a cool feature though and will probably get the job done if you're looking for a fast and simple solution.
To accurately match the color science of another camera (including film) you'll need a minimum of 10000 individual transformation vectors + interpolation. The delta % displayed by Resolve only shows the margin of error between the colors contained on the chart and not the discrepancy introduced by inventing 1.000000+ colors through interpolation.

April 8, 2014 at 3:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nathan

Exactly. Most color matchers (presumably also the one featured in Resolve 11) use multiple linear matrix regression to generate the transformation data but without the ability to pre-process the images with wavelet modifactions the numerical precision of the transformations is likely going to be pretty far off (not to mention interpolation and floating point rounding erros) ... It's a neat little tool for colorists, just don't confuse it with actual color science. :)

April 8, 2014 at 5:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John

FCPX has had this feature since day one.

April 7, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian Faras

FCP X has been doing it from the start. And it's saved me on a lot of shoots

But nobody ever gives fcp x any credit around here

April 7, 2014 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

not until it has a meaningful CinemaDNG ingesting mechanism ;-)

April 8, 2014 at 7:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Agree with you both. I often shoot the.cut sports and events in FCP X and multicam color matching has been a huge timesave. I also work in resolve so it will be fun to compare the feature in both programs when I upgrade resolve. I have a feeling the resolve matching will be more sophisiticated and of course location shoot friendly.

April 8, 2014 at 1:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

claude

Speedgrade has had it for a while too.

April 7, 2014 at 6:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

If this can come out with a free Linux license for Lite or even a $1000 version, my DIT rig would be complete. No reason to boot up into OS X now. Let alone even dealing with hardware limitations and compatibilities to run OS X. Modders and PC builder types can now build a linux rig with maximum hardware available, and price conscious too.

April 7, 2014 at 5:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

Couldn't agree more.

April 7, 2014 at 10:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

maghoxfr

I agree.

I can't imagine why BM hasn't come out with the Lite version for Linux. I believe THAT would be the platform for them to really shine. I think the open source community would really get behind them too if they did this, and really optimize the Linux kernel for Resolve, as well as really tweak things for low latency.

April 10, 2014 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

Yes, Color Match and what it means for DIT like Jorge mentions make this a very nice tool to have on set. Personally I think Blackmagic is the indie champion.

April 7, 2014 at 6:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juan Lindo

The interface reminds me a lot of FCPX, but with the professional features we actually need - like if FCPX and premiere had a baby. Apple should take a hint here.

April 7, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

Outside of more advanced color tools, it's an fcpx rip off. Not sure if it supports multicam which u can't beat fcpx for.

April 7, 2014 at 6:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

@Cinester - Ha, hardly an FCPX rip-off. Resolve is actually a serious tool for serious work, unlike FCPX which is strictly for hobbyists.

April 8, 2014 at 9:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

Now I might be getting a little too excited here but am I right in thinking that their new dual monitor GUI features will allow using a second monitor through the GPU instead of dedicated SDI out? Jesus I hope this is true!

April 7, 2014 at 6:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yes it does

April 9, 2014 at 9:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alexander Diaz

is there a released price yet for those looking to upgrade from davinci 10?

April 7, 2014 at 6:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Omar

free upgrade mate :)

April 7, 2014 at 7:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hampus

Can't find the link for updating from 10 (I've the full licensed with dongle) to 11: where did you read about this Hampus? I don't even see a downloadable version.

April 10, 2014 at 3:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Guido

Just got v10 so would be upset if I have to pay for the upgrade to 11. Hopefully a "if you bought it in the last 3 months it is free to upgrade offer"

April 10, 2014 at 12:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott Thomas

Spoke with my rep - free upgrade to 11.

May 4, 2014 at 7:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dave

I'm not seeing anything about multi-cam, but other than that, looks like everything I would ever need.

April 7, 2014 at 6:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Frank

They took a lot from fcpx but kept tracks. Probably won't run well on my home computer so I'll stick with FCPX for now.

April 7, 2014 at 6:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I always knew aftereffects and speedgrade made adobe vulnerable, I have always said aftereffects need to be re-written ground up to be a true 64 bit app supporting multi processing and threading speed grade should have been upgraded as well with all the useful features of a true grading app. I guess compitition is good, as a windows guys and I know how reslove use hardware resources let's see how it would run with dual 10 core xeon 2690 @ 3.0ghz and dual firepro w9100 with 16gb each and a 24bay raid machine enclosure starange times indeed.

April 7, 2014 at 7:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JustCalMeDBoss

After Effects is in zero danger, Speedgrade is though. Speedgrade has the most jacked-up, convoluted interface ever.

April 8, 2014 at 9:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

I am so FRIGGGIN stoked out on this! You failed to mention IT WORKS NATIVELY WITH PHANTOM CINE FILES!!! so my new phantom is going to be tons of fun in this program! i'm pretty sure I'm done paying to upgrade my other NLEs too, I mean resolve lite is free and can do everything the paid ones can do, plus more now! I am done with Avid I think, and I been done with Adobe since they tried to charge me as much as my monthly internet bill

April 7, 2014 at 8:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

brian merlen

Has anyone been able to download it yet? The only version that seems to be on the site is 10.1.4 but their download page says it was added yesterday...

Does anyone know if this is a typo, or has 11 just not been released yet?

April 8, 2014 at 12:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Eric Ferguson

April 8, 2014 at 12:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marco

Why is everybody so stoked over these editing features? This is such a basic editor, missing basic tools. I think it's nice that you have SOME KIND OF integrated grading/editing solution, but I can't figure out why people are fainting over an editor that is not much more refined than Windows Movie Maker. Yes, it's great for people with Resolve workflows to finally be able to edit simple material. I wouldn't even know how to begin using it for the size projects I work on, it's a total non-starter. Maybe in 5 years. Until then, they're a grading software with some editing, not the other way around. This is so not ready for prime-time, which it's described as by pretty much everyone.

April 8, 2014 at 6:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Per

I agree, but for the price of FREE I'm sure you can work around some of the missing tools. If you consider it as a Dailies/Logging/RoughCut program and then as an Online Editor for large scale series work I can't see anything that you'd be missing.

April 8, 2014 at 8:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MRH

+1000

April 8, 2014 at 9:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scot

Just out of curiosity - what is it missing that you need?

April 9, 2014 at 12:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

Looking at the BmD comparison chart of the 3 options, the free Lite version of Resolve 11 just might be the most amazing software bargain ever. That being said from this longtime Premiere Pro editor, the page or two of Resolve's editing features look far short of what I'm used to using (like with keys, titles, audio, sophisticated integration with Photoshop, After Effects, etc.) and many of the new additions are things that have been fairly standard for some time now. So I don't think Adobe and Avid will be too worried at this point, but maybe GV Edius and Sony Vegas people should be. At this rate, and considering the remarkable progression of their camera line, Blackmagic looks well on its way to redefining a lot of what we've come to expect is normal in the industry. Gotta love 'em!

April 10, 2014 at 1:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Davideo

Seems this is the year when finishing applications all want to incorporate editing features, so there is resolve 11 and Nuke Studio, brilliant! But for the guys who making comments about this being the death of Avid, better rethink, because there's a reason we feature and broadcast editors still cut on avid, and unless these applications are able to do it better than avid does, I don't think good ol' avid will be dying anytime soon.

April 8, 2014 at 7:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Iyke Chukwu

Honestly this looks like everything I've ever wanted in a NLE. It has the power of Premiere, the elegant design of FCPX, and the added bonus of everything Resolve can already do. I'm very excited.

April 8, 2014 at 9:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

When will this be out?
Also, I want to upgrade a 2009 MacPro's graphic card to run resolve and FCPX.
What graphics card?

T

April 8, 2014 at 10:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tulio

GTX Titan or anything with 4GB of VRAM should be more than enough for a few nodes.

April 8, 2014 at 12:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

What great value.

April 8, 2014 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Has anyone been able to download version 11? I can only find 10 on the BM site.

April 8, 2014 at 2:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

coming in june

April 8, 2014 at 2:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

gp

AAAWWW, damn...

April 8, 2014 at 5:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rean

"Currently HD4000 graphics won’t even run the GUI in Resolve, let alone make the calculations in the node tree."

OS X 10.9 supports OpenCL using Intel graphics so Resolve loads and runs OK. I'm using it on an i7 Mac Book Air. Naturally it's slow to import DNGs and slow to export ProRes. Grading functions all work on the Air. If the new editing functions will work, only the final export will be slow.

Of course, I'm not working with UHD.

Lastly, to not disturb 10.7.5 -- I've put 10.9.2 and Resolve Lite on an Extreme Pro (95MB/s) card. It fits on 16GB (after removing all but English), but one should really buy a 32GB card. Now I have Resolve on a stick that I can plug into any Mac. I'm going to try it inn 13" rMBP.

April 8, 2014 at 6:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve Mullen

"I’m going to try it inn 13″ rMBP."

I would be very interested in reading the results.

In the past, upgrades in software led to more hardware compatibility (FCP RT capabilities for example)...I don't see why this wouldn't be the case with Resolve too.

April 14, 2014 at 2:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

bbt

Hey, your paragraph where you say you're using the macbook air to run resolve is the only piece of information I can find on the internet that says this is possible. Can you confirm you are using a macbook air and not a macbook pro? I didn't understand what you meant by your last paragraph at all - "Lastly, to not disturb 10.7.5 — I’ve put 10.9.2 and Resolve Lite on an Extreme Pro (95MB/s) card. It fits on 16GB (after removing all but English), but one should really buy a 32GB card. Now I have Resolve on a stick that I can plug into any Mac. I’m going to try it inn 13″ rMBP."

I'm hoping to get rid of my late 2011 iMac in favour of a new i7 macbook air, but this issue is naturally making me nervous, thanks if you can help!!!

July 27, 2014 at 5:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

So excited about this. Looks like the FCP7 replacement I've been waiting for coupled with the best grading software. Also love how the database can share projects easily between co-workers.

April 9, 2014 at 7:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

I love DaVinci Resolve but I dont think I would love to use it to edit my big project. How ever much they add whatever tool It remains a nice color grading application, JUST THAT.
I think Black Magic should consider RESOLVE just a grading app, other wise they might also add a SOCIAL Networking app tool.
Sometimes its not good to do everything even when you can.

April 10, 2014 at 6:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The article asks what we would like to see. Stabilisation would be my number 1 requirement.

April 10, 2014 at 12:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott Thomas

It already has one of the best image stabilisers in it. You can control how 'sharp' it is if you still want a bit of 'unsteady cam' in your video.

Personally, I'm amazed how many camera operators there appear to be with Parkinson's Disease these days and how they get employed. Is it some kind of 'positive discrimination', do you think, or the unions?

April 10, 2014 at 1:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Del Shana

Thanks Del. I am new the the software and did a search for stabaliSation and came up with nothing. With a "Z" it is pretty good. So what I meant is I would like English stabilisation. Cough.

April 10, 2014 at 2:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott Thomas

I think resolve will bring back the good old days of FCP 7. It looks like a combo of X & 7. Yes X has made some significant changes for betterment, yet I just can't imagine editing a full fledge Feature in it. Its a Robust Tool but sometimes its not the tool but the comfort level of an Editor. Avid, FCP 7 and hopefully now Resolve 11 (i imagine)

June 23, 2014 at 8:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shams Charania

Hello, I am mohan newly entering in to the world of dit, please help me to setup my mac with best system requirements for Davinci resolve 11.

July 29, 2014 at 11:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM