New from RED: SCARLET DRAGON for $14.5K, DRAGONColor & 4K 3G-SDI Module
What would the NAB show be without some sort of announcement from RED? This year we've got a slew of news from the company, including Scarlet Dragon shipping info, a 4K broadcast module to send out up to 4K 60fps over 4 3G-SDI ports, Epic-M Monochrome details, new color science and even a handy RED-specific multi-tool. Hit the jump for the details.
Attempting the quell the rumors of Scarlet’s discontinuation, this RED announcement should be encouraging for Scarlet owners. Here’s some footage from the regular Scarlet and Epic that Jarred Land posted as a reminder of the DRAGON predecessors' quality (download the 2k ProRes here):
Since RED isn't allowing the video to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.
- “Likely” shipping in June
- 6K FF: 12 fps
- 5K FF: 48
- 4K FF: 60
- 3K FF: 75
- 2K FF: 120
- 5K 2.4:1: 60
- 4K 2.4:1: 75
- 3K 2.4:1: 100
- 2K 2.4:1: 150
New RCX with Dragoncolor and REDgamma 4
Potentially the most important of RED’s announcements today, this ushers in the next generation of Graeme’s color science that the RED cameras rely on. Here is a little bit that's new with the REDCINE-X:
Updated: New look and feel.
Added: DRAGONcolor and REDgamma4.
Added: Advanced Dragon Debayer (A.D.D.) with HDRx and motion support.
Added: Support for camera generated markers.
Added: CUDA support.
Added: Ability to filter wav files from the browser.
Added: Rating can now be applied to both clips and frames through context sensitive keyboard shortcuts.
Added: Rating a frame now automatically creates a frame marker.
Updated: Default keyboard shortcuts for rating, video out and L/R stereo toggling have been changed.
DSMC Firmware v5.2.8
- REDLINK Module support (wireless networking and wireless hand controller)
- 4K Broadcast Module support
- Switchblade Module support
- Dragon Monochrome support
- Scarlet Dragon support
- Public REDLINK Control Protocol support
- DRAGONcolor (Dragon only)
- REDgamma4 as default gamma
- 4 User Calibration Maps available (Dragon only)
- Calibration map programming time optimized (Dragon only)
- Added frame processing (Dragon)
- Increased max exposure time to 1 sec (Dragon)
- Rack point UI enhancements
- Optimize color science updates
- Clean format transitions
- Video markers support
- Video markers / regions in playback
- Pre-trigger added to trigger mode
- Burst mode capture
- Updated UI theme
- 6:5 formats added for full height 2.40:1 2x Anamorphic de-squeeze
- Horizon line UI overlay
- A-X track toggle in preview and playback
- Added additional supported lenses
- SSD fragmentation detection
- Added Exposure Assist
RED 4K Broadcast Module for DRAGON
Designed for broadcast professionals, this DRAGON-only module is due to make a lot of people happy who have wanted to use their RED cameras in broadcast environments.
Since RED isn’t allowing the videos to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.
- $6950, availability TBD
- Live uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2 video feed
- Up to 4K / 60 FPS via Quad 3G-SDI
- BNC ports for timecode and genlock
An alternative to the touch-screen REDmote, this machined-aluminum attachment goes in place of the side-handle and will be helpful for camera assistants who want information on the side.
- $950, availability TBD
- Side-mounted tool-less camera control interface
DRAGON Epic-M Monochrome
The Fincher-tested Monochrome camera finally has price and shipping dates.
- Shipping April 28th
REDlink and REDLINK Development Kit
This is an open protocol that allows 3rd parties to control the camera via the REDLink module or via Serial/Ethernet. This could be a useful tool for controlling the camera when on a Movi, a crane or other rigs where the camera is not immediately accessible. Foolcontrol is an example of a 3rd party utilizing the REDLINK SDK.
Since RED isn’t allowing the video to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.
- $395, shipping now
- Integrated THC wireless lens control
REDMAG 1.8" 240GB
This new faster SSD is replacing the previous REDMAG 256GB. Also, all media purchased from RED in the past 6 months and in the future will come standard with a 1 year warranty.
- Shipping in 6-8 weeks
- Includes 1 year warranty.
RED Sidewinder Multi-tool
This is a custom tool that covers all the standard screw sizes found on RED equipment, with threaded holes to carry spare bolts.
- $28 (tool-only) or included in the DSMC Bolt Set ($50)
Carbon RED Mini-Mag Side Module + Magnesium Mounts
Carbon mini-mag side modules can now be ordered with all Carbon Dragon orders. Red is also expanding their Magnesium mount options for Carbon Dragon owners to Leica, Canon, Nikon and PL mount.
- Side modules shipping by the end of April
Phew! That's it for now from RED. Stay tuned for more NAB announcements throughout the week and join the discussion in the comments below.
Link: Recon -- REDUser Forum
NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.