We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

New from RED: SCARLET DRAGON for $14.5K, DRAGONColor & 4K 3G-SDI Module

1396867330What would the NAB show be without some sort of announcement from RED? This year we've got a slew of news from the company, including Scarlet Dragon shipping info, a 4K broadcast module to send out up to 4K 60fps over 4 3G-SDI ports, Epic-M Monochrome details, new color science and even a handy RED-specific multi-tool. Hit the jump for the details.

RED SCARLET DRAGON 6K 12fps

Scarlet DRAGON

Attempting the quell the rumors of Scarlet’s discontinuation, this RED announcement should be encouraging for Scarlet owners. Here’s some footage from the regular Scarlet and Epic that Jarred Land posted as a reminder of the DRAGON predecessors' quality (download the 2k ProRes here):

Since RED isn't allowing the video to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.

• $14,500
  • “Likely” shipping in June
  • 6K FF: 12 fps
  • 5K FF: 48
  • 4K FF: 60
  • 3K FF: 75
  • 2K FF: 120
  • 5K 2.4:1: 60
  • 4K 2.4:1: 75
  • 3K 2.4:1: 100
  • 2K 2.4:1: 150

New RCX with Dragoncolor and REDgamma 4

Potentially the most important of RED’s announcements today, this ushers in the next generation of Graeme’s color science that the RED cameras rely on. Here is a little bit that's new with the REDCINE-X:

Updated: New look and feel.
Added: DRAGONcolor and REDgamma4.
Added: Advanced Dragon Debayer (A.D.D.) with HDRx and motion support.
Added: Support for camera generated markers.
Added: CUDA support.
Added: Ability to filter wav files from the browser.
Added: Rating can now be applied to both clips and frames through context sensitive keyboard shortcuts.
Added: Rating a frame now automatically creates a frame marker.
Updated: Default keyboard shortcuts for rating, video out and L/R stereo toggling have been changed.

DSMC Firmware v5.2.8

• REDLINK Module support (wireless networking and wireless hand controller)
  • 4K Broadcast Module support
  • Switchblade Module support
  • Dragon Monochrome support
  • Scarlet Dragon support
  • Public REDLINK Control Protocol support
  • DRAGONcolor (Dragon only)
  • REDgamma4 as default gamma
  • 4 User Calibration Maps available (Dragon only)
  • Calibration map programming time optimized (Dragon only)
  • Added frame processing (Dragon)
  • Increased max exposure time to 1 sec (Dragon)
  • Rack point UI enhancements
  • Optimize color science updates
  • Clean format transitions
  • Video markers support
  • Video markers / regions in playback
  • Pre-trigger added to trigger mode
  • Burst mode capture
  • Updated UI theme
  • 6:5 formats added for full height 2.40:1 2x Anamorphic de-squeeze
  • Horizon line UI overlay
  • A-X track toggle in preview and playback
  • Added additional supported lenses
  • SSD fragmentation detection
  • Added Exposure Assist

RED 4K Broadcast Module for DRAGON

RED 4K Broadcast Module 2RED 4K Broadcast Module 1

Designed for broadcast professionals, this DRAGON-only module is due to make a lot of people happy who have wanted to use their RED cameras in broadcast environments.

Since RED isn’t allowing the videos to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.

• $6950, availability TBD
  • Live uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2 video feed
  • Up to 4K / 60 FPS via Quad 3G-SDI
  • BNC ports for timecode and genlock

RED Switchblade-M

RED SWITCHBLADE-M 1

An alternative to the touch-screen REDmote, this machined-aluminum attachment goes in place of the side-handle and will be helpful for camera assistants who want information on the side.

• $950, availability TBD
  • Side-mounted tool-less camera control interface
  • OLED

DRAGON Epic-M Monochrome

DRAGON EPIC-M Monochrome

The Fincher-tested Monochrome camera finally has price and shipping dates.

• $31,500
  • Shipping April 28th

REDlink and REDLINK Development Kit

REDLINK 2REDLINK 1

This is an open protocol that allows 3rd parties to control the camera via the REDLink module or via Serial/Ethernet. This could be a useful tool for controlling the camera when on a Movi, a crane or other rigs where the camera is not immediately accessible. Foolcontrol is an example of a 3rd party utilizing the REDLINK SDK.

Since RED isn’t allowing the video to be embedded yet, check it out over at the RED forums.

• $395, shipping now
  • Integrated THC wireless lens control

REDMAG 1.8" 240GB

This new faster SSD is replacing the previous REDMAG 256GB. Also, all media purchased from RED in the past 6 months and in the future will come standard with a 1 year warranty.

• $1,450
  • Shipping in 6-8 weeks
  • Includes 1 year warranty.

RED Sidewinder Multi-tool

RED SIDEWINDER 1

This is a custom tool that covers all the standard screw sizes found on RED equipment, with threaded holes to carry spare bolts.

• $28 (tool-only) or included in the DSMC Bolt Set ($50)

Carbon RED Mini-Mag Side Module + Magnesium Mounts

RED Magnesium Canon Mount

Carbon mini-mag side modules can now be ordered with all Carbon Dragon orders. Red is also expanding their Magnesium mount options for Carbon Dragon owners to Leica, Canon, Nikon and PL mount.

• Side modules shipping by the end of April

Phew! That's it for now from RED. Stay tuned for more NAB announcements throughout the week and join the discussion in the comments below.

Link: Recon -- REDUser Forum

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

The Dragon Scarlet is arguably going to be better than an Epic MX. You get a few more FPS on the Epic but you have the old sensor...not a bad deal if they deliver on time.

April 7, 2014

You still preparing to sell the EPic once 4k comes down to the smaller cams?

April 8, 2014

sell everything

April 7, 2014

You meant sell everything RED right?

marklondon

Mark, I understand you handled the AJA camera at NAB. Which is looking the hotshot camera to you so far ? I guess there's much more coming. Do you think Canon will pull out a white rabbit ?

Saied

Canon definitely have something coming. For whatever reason they didn't hit the go button today.
Their booth is quite quiet because of that!
The CION is (I keep repeating) so effing sexy. It feels 'real'. Does that make sense?
Compared to any of the under $20K cameras we've seen since 2007 its in a different league in terms of ergonomics. You just immediately wanted to shoot with it. Can't wait to see full-on footage.
The BM is much more plasticky and looks like it would die on a 4 week jungle shoot. BUT, does have a lot of great features and I'd be happy to shoot with it. The 10" LCD is amazing. How long that door would last though.....:-)
The A7S freaks me out as its so small. But the projected footage did look great and as an ML 5D3 guy, it has a lot of offer me as a 'cheap' way to integrate 4K into my personal work. The 'matching' ATOMOS recorder is REALLY nice and the two together aren't as weird ergonomically as you might think.
However, so far my socks have really been blown off by whats going on in LED lighting. I know, not as sexy as cameras, but just amazing fixtures perfect for indie/ENG/drama all the way up to replacing 12Ks with units you can plug into the wall. That's the REAL revolution on display here.
So in my Xmas wish list, I'll take a CION with a new Zacuto EVF and a van FULL of LED lighting please.
IRL I'll probably wait to see what Canon/Panasonic drop at @$5k mark then make a purchase.

marklondon

Thanks Mark. Nice to hear an on-the-floor take in addition to the press releases.

April 7, 2014

Thanks Mark, much appreciated !

Saied

Thanks for the on floor details, can you be more specific about the brands of LED lighting that impressed you? Maybe some more details in terms of output and performance?

April 7, 2014

Thanks! Great roundup of what we've seen so far.

April 7, 2014

Another perspective from the floor, Cion looked a little unimpressive. Dynamic range was lacking, at BMC levels I would say. Easier to swallow that at 3k then 9k. AJA also says only AJA branded ssd's will work on the camera. There is a point where you have to wonder what part of what's being offered here isn't something that a scarlet wasn't offering 3 years ago. Only bringing this up as AJA is next to the Red booth. I'm no fanboy of either company but I really didn't come away excited.

Only thing I've seen on the show floor that really blew me away was A7s 4k quality. That camera is going to be one sneaky mothetfucker. Very comparable image to the f55s nearby.

April 8, 2014

Carlos D

Fellow comrades of the craft, wake up. You had the camera you needed to make that thing you wanted to make 5 years ago. Turn off your internets, go outside and come back with the works of your hands.

And bring me some of these new cameras because I want to play with them ; )

April 8, 2014

That was so incredibly inspiring and wonderful.

April 9, 2014

V Renée
Managing Editor
Writer/Director

Are you SURE that short was shot on Scarlet Dragon? I can't find that explicitly stated anywhere. All I can find is it was shot on two Scarlets and an Epic, with no mention of Dragon. Am I missing something?

Brian

Agreed - no one said this was Scarlet D material.

SG

Yeah, it's actually not Dragon footage, just regular Scarlet / Epic. I've updated that.

Micah Van Hove
Writer
writer, director, dp

If that first footage turns your crank, then good luck to you.
The highlights are effing terrible. That same exact footage shot with Alexas would look better.
I still love the EPIC DRAGON. But persuading clients to use it is VERY tough.
RED needs a serious design/workflow rethink, or its about to be the Saab of cinema cameras.

marklondon

Do NOT mock Saab, they have still STRONG cult following around the world : )

Juhan-i

Mate, I have owned 3 of them, and had the pleasure of shooting a launch film for them in Gothenburg once.
I LOVE Saab.
What I meant is that RED may end up as ONLY a niche brand, that then blands out to compete, then dies :-)

marklondon

aaaaand then i can haz one for cheep, no? trolol

but srsly; i'd take one cheap if it's 'dies out out' :P

April 9, 2014

loveit

delivered in 2019

Vict

4K Broadcast Module for 7000 dollars ?

or to be more specific, couple of standard 4K video connectors = price of next Blackmagic 4K camera with few accessories.

Same feature that comes stock with every Sony F55...

Juhan-i

Yeah, I'm not sure any EPIC owner actually wants to hear about the F55......
Even ALEXA owners get twitchy.

marklondon

Sony F55, can't rate it any higher, fits into so many scenarios. Currently my favourite camera.

Lloyd

Well Dragon has more range and resolution then either for less money...So you know there is always THAT lol

brian merlen

It's a matter of taste, but I'm pretty sure if you shoot anything in low light situations, you'll become a Sony F55 camera advocate like I have. I've seen a few samples of Dragon, but only a few have been superior. But a few have been superior. What's up?

May 1, 2014

Ray

Oh dear... that Scarlet Dragon footage looked horrendous...

LumberjackSatan

Because it isn't.

Natt

That is not Scarlet Dragon footage, Jarred Land showed this to prove that regular Scarlet footage is still good, this in response to rumours of Red killing the Scarlet.

Link: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?114945-NAB-2014-Speaking-of-...

Raphael Wood

That video wasn't from the scarlet dragons though.

Natt

I used DRagon last week and an Alexa XT, Dragon is decidedly less nervous more soft.
All agree.
The colors are better, now I'm seeing too ADD and the new science of color ..
Sorry folks, but now is the best RED camera.
Decide on the quality of a video vimeo is not very professional.
Maybe tomorrow Arri introduces the new camera.

mafioli

I am excited about the scarlet dragon, however, as a current scarlet owner I think the upgrade price of $10,000 to the Scarlet Dragon, considering brand new is $14,500, is disappointing to say the least. Why would I pay $10,000 when for $4500 more I can get an entire new camera? Come on RED someone over there has to take a look at this considering the new Blackmagic camera with PL mount comes in at $6500??? Requires no additional add-ons etc. Lets learn from Blackmagic and drop that upgrade price to something more reasonable like under $5000. I can sell my scarlet rig and buy two of the new BM cameras. I know the two cameras have their own pros and cons but the pros are out weighing the cons. Come on RED help me out

Tom

14500 is brain only, more like 18000 with PL mount and side SSD.

No additional add ons? off the top of my head $1K+ CF cards, V mount plate and batteries

carlos

Same here. The upgrade price is what I initially payed for the camera. That is not the price of an upgrade, but the price of a new camera - except you won't be getting another camera.

Jesper

You can sell your scarlet and end up spending around the same as the upgrade cost for an inferior camera
or upgrade for 9500 to a superior camera:

6K for timelapses. 5K for motion work. REDCODE raw much better and constantly improving color science. 16.5 stops of DR. Lower noise floor etc. etc.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

carlos

There is only going to be cheaper 4k cameras all the time now. If Red is out of the budget, then get the alternative. I think the Dragon range and resolution will trump everything though, but sure cheaper cameras will still cost less, even if the suns black and you can't format in camera and whatever else is wrong with the IQ lol

brian merlen

It's not about what camera you get for the price. It's about the promises that was made to us when we originally bought our cameras. Red-fans keeps defending Red, but fact is, Red should just admit things had changed and they can't deliver the upgrade they set out to. It's the constant denial that makes it a bitter pill to swallow. Don't get me wrong - I love my camera and the images it produces and that won't change, but part of the reason I could defend to buy such a expensive camera was the possibility to initially upgrade it (which was originally gonna' be 6-12 months after the release). 9.500 is not the price of an upgrade but in these days the price of a new camera. Upgradable system my a**.

April 8, 2014

Jesper

Jesper, I understand the frustration. The upgrade is not like what we think of when upgrading most everything else. It's the cost of a new camera. But, that's exactly what you're getting when your camera comes back. A Dragon Epic/Scarlet will have on-board RAW recording, color on par with anything else out there, resolution greater than everything else out there except F65, DR greater than everything else out there and frame rates greater than most everything out there. Honestly, what other camera is going to give you all of that for less than $9,500? There isn't one. If you think the upgrade price should be less (and I wouldn't mind that one bit), that limits your choices even more for alternatives from other companies in terms of IQ at the same price.

Compared to the ACTUAL current/near-future market and NOT expectations, your Dragonized camera will basically have no equal for the money. Yes, some form factors and individual features may me better on other cams for certain things, but pound-for-pound, there isn't one other camera you can spend $9,500 on and get the sheer image quality you're going to get out of an upgraded Scarlet MX to Dragon. If there is, please tell us all what you think that is. It's unfair to judge RED or any other company based on your wants and not the actual state of the marketplace. If you think your money is better spent on an F55, URSA, CION, GH4, DB, A7s, C?00 or BM/P/CC/4K, then by all means, make the switch. You'll be happier for it. To me, Scarlet Dragon is a hard cam to beat overall. That doesn't mean it will be a huge success, but it does mean you'll be able to get some damn good pictures out it.

April 8, 2014

Brian

yep- that's why sold my Scarlet last month.. they screwed us all big time. They promised an upgradeable camera- instead they gave us a horrible trade back program. They said a yr ago that the Dragon Epic would sell for $24,000. That's a year ago-- should be worth no more then $20,000 now. So why would I pay $19,000 to upgrade my Scarlet into an Epic Dragon? Better off selling your Scarlet now- use the proceeds to buy a cheap 4K option, and wait a yr for Dragon Epic's to cost $18,000.

I got $11,500 for my Scarlet package- I'd strongly suggest selling it. The frame rates on the Scarlet Dragon are purposely limited- and not worth $18,500 (14K plus 4.5K accessories). It's not an upgradeable camera when the upgraded sensor costs more then a brand new Cion camera. It was a good scam. we all got scammed by RED.

It should've been a $6,000 upgraded sensor charge. RED got greedy. It'll be a year before everyone is offering comparable 4K for under $8,000.

steve d

Red will have a real hard time competing in this market against the major manufacturers. Arri has sniffed this out by moving onto the super-expensive 6K+ dMF models (if true). Otherwise, a 4K prime time TV (and, with that, an independent film) quality camera is now practically a commodity. $40K last year. $10K this year. It's been nice knowing ya, Jimbo.

DLD

Keep dreaming. RED isn't going anywhere any time soon.

carlos

DLD, you say this all the time and I still don't know what makes you think RED is going to be in trouble. RED doesn't make cameras for the people looking to begrudgingly spend $5K on a full blown camera system to shoot their projects. Their mission was always to be a suitable replacement for 35mm film. You have to look at them in terms of productions that have the budget to shoot 35mm in the first place, not the expectations of the 3K for $3K crowd they (regrettably) created. Yes, they try to cater to smaller productions and requirements, but their main focus is on modest-to-big budget filmmaking, where that extra refinement in image quality is going to be valued. Whether they achieve it may be open to debate but their goal is to provide top-of-the-line images for much lower prices than the rest of the top tier they see themselves in competition with.

People were wondering where RED was in the Oscar nominations for best cinematography last year (as if it really mattered). Do you honestly believe the CION, URSA, BMPC4K or F5 are going to make that list before something shot with Dragon does? One of the main reasons Alexa produces such desirable images is the 7 or so stops of DR above middle gray. Dragon provides at least 7 as well. Combined with much better color handling and higher frame rates, you've got a formidable package that will show its maturity when stressed. CION is 12 stops total. I have a hard time believing that any DP is going to go backwards and dump Alexa or Dragon and lose at least two stops of DR because the camera is only $9K. Scarlet Dragon should make its IQ benefits apparent in highlight retention alone. If 14 stops of DR were easy to produce at such affordable prices, every cam maker would be doing it. Since they're not, $14,500 is a bargain to get 15 from the Scarlet Dragon.

Epic MX still gets considerably more big movie gigs than F65 and F55/5 put together. I don't see that changing now that Dragon has arrived, which is a much better camera than MX in everyone's estimation. I just don't understand how RED is in a bad position when their main target audience is actually using their cameras in impressive numbers to great effect with over $1B in box office revenue. The sub-$10K cameras announced in the last two years, including today, will NEVER come anywhere close to achieving what Epic MX has since its release, even if you don't count The Hobbit. How that spells doom for RED is beyond me.

Brian

To be clear, I meant Dragon has much better color handling than MX.

Brian

Brian, Red is now going against companies with tens of billions in sales and, off this NAB, that "35mm" look can be had for $6K-$10K, not $40K. How many sub-$10K camera will Red have? None? You get my point.
Plus, the accessories have been providing the profit margin for Red and the ever dropping cost of off-the-shelf media will sap that portion off the ledger quickly as well. Look at this as a long distance race. Red has been the proverbial "rabbit" (aka a pace maker, term borrowed from dog racing). Rabbits are needed to serve as a target for the eventual winners but they soon drop out of the race. Red was that rabbit for half a decade but now the pack has caught up to it. At some point, its market share will dwindle and the profits generated by the product sales won't be able to cover the overhead. Jannard can hold out a while due to his personal wealth but, unless some revolutionary product is in the pipe, Red is not going to weather this 4K storm.
I won't even mention that the company and its management have a questionable reputation and a lot of tech buyers have been looking for a reason not to buy Red to begin with.
PS. Varicam is priced at $55K. Good luck to Panasonic with that model. I doubt even Codex will save that ass.

DLD

DLD, I get your point but I don't think it's valid. Who are the companies with tens of billions of dollars to which you're referring? Sony? Panasonic? Canon? Name me one time in the history of any of those companies when they didn't intentionally cripple a lower tier product as to not hurt sales of their higher tier products? N E V E R. In order for what you're saying to happen, these companies would have to abandon their entry-to-mid level cameras and drastically reduce the price of their top tier cams to entry level prices to have the effect on the market you're predicting. It's not going to happen. The pricing for the Varicam 35 should tell you that. And like I said earlier, 12 stops of DR eliminates AJA's CION from the Alexa/Dragon arms race. Who's left? Besides, if the economics worked the way you say for the "S35 look," the Canon C300/500 should've knocked the Epic out of Hollywood by now.

If Panasonic can move the Varicam 35 at that price, RED really doesn't have anything to worry about.

Brian

What about Arri? If Red is dead what about Arri? WHAT ABOUT QUALITY? Red and Arri will be fine and no one wants a black sun and aliasing crap like you get on these shitty 4k cheap cams, believe me I hope they are good, but relative to Alexa and Dragon, they just don't end up on top. At the end of the day all that matters is the image, that's it. Price be damned

brian merlen

that would make sense if RED just didn't recall all their Dragon cameras last week because of color science issues... you make it as if the RED Dragon is some staple, established product, next to the Alexa- it's not. Remember last year when RED was at NAB with engineers installing the new sensors in their "clean room".

The problem with RED is they were selling people into buying a concept-- a camera body that would always be upgradeable. It was a lie. When you charge Scarlet / Epic owners $9,500 to upgrade a sensor-- the same price as a new 4K Cion, the same price as 3 Panasonic GH4 cameras (with interfaces)- that's not an upgrade program. That's called bending over your owner base.

And the Scarlet Dragon is not $14,000- it's $18,500 when you add on the accessories. Sorry, it's a good camera- not worth $18,500. Do you know that RED purposely limits the Scarlet Dragon so it doesn't compete with the Epic?

Every other camera is now doing what RED promised-- upgradeable hardware body. I for one want to be an owner of a company that stands behind their word. If it takes an extra year for them to catch up to RED, i'll stick with them-- rather that, then be with a company that bent us all over.

steve d

@steve d. You wrote:

"that would make sense if RED just didn’t recall all their Dragon cameras last week because of color science issues"

Do you have a link to a source for that info? I'm not aware of any recall that happened last week. Or, are you referring to the OLPF swap, sensor calibration and color science tweaks that RED announced 2 MONTHS AGO and is old news that was covered right here on NFS - http://bit.ly/1jNzNxi - and discussed ad nauseam?

April 8, 2014

Brian

brian merlen : "Price be damned"

That's a nice ideal. But most everyone has to think about price. Many of us will be going with GH4, and BlackMagic, and a couple others, for our 4K.

April 8, 2014

Gene

brian they've been doing color science tweaks now for a year... the recall was last month (not last week), but just as of two weeks ago, dragon owners were complaining on REDs blog that certain colors weren't filming correctly- requiring additional tweaks. It's a great work in progress camera-- but after a year of delays, there trying to sell it at the same price. it's a joke, as lots of companies are on the verge of catching up at prices a fraction of RED.

And now that everyone knows RED's upgrade program is a lie (i.e. charging more for a sensor upgrade then the entire camera actually costs), i think most people realize, they're not the company to go with any more.

April 11, 2014