We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

Canon Recently Used 5D3 Magic Lantern RAW Footage to Advertise Its Products

Magic Lantern RAW video has been out for over a year now, and the resulting footage is unquestionably a giant step up from the normal compressed H.264 files. While Canon representatives rarely say too much about the hack, I'm sure many of them are familiar with it by name if nothing else. At the very least, there has been a sort of symbiotic relationship between the two, with Canon being more or less hands-off about Magic Lantern and its use on their cameras. If it sells more cameras, I doubt they would complain, but they've never outright condoned its use, which is why its interesting that footage shot with the hack has appeared in a Canon ad.

We missed the conversation about the ad when it first came out, so thanks to planet5D for the heads-up. Here's the ad in question, followed by the footage it was taken from:

[Update]: Looks like that's not the only 5D3 RAW footage, as the skiing shot at 15 seconds also used the RAW hack (shot by Justin Majeczky):

First things first, if you blink you might very well miss it (right around 18 seconds). That's why this isn't a huge deal, but it's a little funny to see Canon products being advertised with footage that was shot with a hack the company doesn't officially support. The ad agency that produced this may not even know what Magic Lantern is (or at least whoever picked the clips), but if they do, the shot happens so fast that Canon may not have been aware during the approval process.

Either way, the footage in question is downright beautiful, though that's more of a testament to the skill of those who made it (director Kim Jong Seong of Pastel Glyph), than the camera it was shot on (the extra resolution and DR of the hack certainly doesn't hurt).

Links:

[via planet5D]

Not a huge deal in practical terms, perhaps, as the clip in question is very short. However, says a lot about Canon: they make awesome products but wish to price differentiate by means of omitting critical features that others can implement for free in certain product categories. That's one major reason why masses of us lower-tier, nevertheless pro film makers are making a transition to alternatives who have the customer as their priority, Blackmagic being a top example.

If Canon cared about us, I think many of us would stay with them. But now we're going.

August 1, 2014

Amen to that Janne. I never thought I'd leave Canon, but with such amazing cameras like the GH4 coming out, I'm working on the transition.

August 1, 2014

I shoot on a C100 for work, and the lack of 60p is downright infuriating. My T3i can do it. Why can't the $5k C100? Well, it can't, but like you said, Canon removes functionality to try and entice people to buy their higher end products, but putting something like 60p on the C100 would not make it so different from the C300 that no one will buy the C100.

It's a very frustrating topic. I wonder if Canon is listening.

August 1, 2014

I went from Canon to the FS700 then added the 7Q. Aside from the FS7Q having a mind bogglingly amazing image and a bunch of features, it's nice to buy from companies like Sony who gave Convergent Design full access to the FS700 to make it hit it's full potential. The result is a monster combo. The nicest part is not having that insanely frustrated feeling you get from Canon where you know you're getting second best and still paying top dollar. I was so tired of Canon and I'm so happy to be free of them.

Gene Sung (non-...

You said it so well "that insanely frustrating feeling of getting 2nd best and paying top dollar". Big like.

August 9, 2014

Marko Hila

Funny I left Canon went to Blackmagic , left Blackmagic , now back to Canon. The irony.

John Wilton

Haha, me too! My next camera will most likely be a Sony.

alex

I went from Canon (T2i) to Sony (5N), and now to another Sony (a7s). No Canon in the horizon for me, they don't sell anything that can compete with the a7s and costs less than 8 times as much.

August 2, 2014

Well said. I am almost positive that my next camera body purchase will not be a Canon. With so many other great choices out there why would I deal with a company that omits functionality.

Jacob

Canon's use of a hack to advertise its cameras borders on the fraudulent in that it advertises a capability or functionality not available in the stock camera (but that could reasonably be inferred as being available) and one that can be added only at the risk of voiding the warranty.

Tzedekh

This was my first thought as well. They have no right to put those shots into the ad unless they are releasing their own RAW, which these shots were not made with regardless. Bad move, Canon.

Taylor Russ

They did not advertise the hack, they advertised what people did with their product. Those images may have been made with third party lenses as well, what's the difference?

August 7, 2014

Gunny

The difference is, Canon shouldn't say you did it with Canon. They can go and put together some images in a lab somewhere, that's totally fine, but using images that were achieved by sweating our asses hacking Canon cameras at the very risk of writing off $3000 in the process, that's douchebaggery. But that's Canon for you. Get a Red Scarlet and you'll never look back. Hollywood uses it...

August 9, 2014

Marko Hila

My sony A6000 launches 60 fps with very good quality and worth 10 times less than the c100, Canon wakes up, still have hopes that my impressions, I give you two months or I switch to the sony a7s and a7r

Carlos

Actually ML does not void your warrenty.

Miles Levin

It will if it bricks your camera -- the warranty won't cover repairs.

Tzedekh

this ad only shows that canon can't handle highlights.

sawyer

There is also C500 footage from "Need for Speed" in there, so . . . It's an ad for the t5i, but notice that the wording is all ways about what "you" and "Canon" "bring" And the camera on the screen when they are saying they brought "Hollywood caliber HD video to a DSLR" is a 1D camera. I'd bet the 1DC.

It's an ad. It, like most ads is designed to mislead without actually lying. As long as all of those images were created with a Canon camera, then they are not lying. Are any of those photos at the beginning HDR? HDR is not a function they have in camera on most of the DSLR's (or any?) So they are merged in post in Photoshop or some other software. Is it unfair to say that those images were not created on a Canon camera?

It's an ad.

5D3 has HDR in-camera

August 7, 2014

Gunny

Don't they need to contact the shooter to get approval for using the footage in a commercial? I imagine it would be very hard to miss mentioning it's shot in ML RAW, especially since they're Canon.

Ebrahim Saadawi

This is what No Film School, and most "news" sites that take themselves seriously should have done, too.

It's journalism 101 to follow up with stories like these, to contact the parties involved and ask for comment. We, the public, would be better informed of the situation if we had access to statements from Canon, Pastel Glyph, and Justin Majeczky about the footage in question. In some situations where expediency is more important than having a complete story, it's reasonable to publish information as soon as it is received. In this case, with the relevant content having been publicly available for a few days, there seems to be little reason to rush, and there's no mention by the author of any intent to follow up or expand on the content in the future.

Then again, many sites have different goals and topicalities. Philip Bloom or Andrew Ried probably wouldn't be expected to follow up on a breaking news story just because they run their own blogs. NFS fashions itself as more of a "creative" and resource-oriented blog, not necessarily a news or reporting-oriented one.

Mr Blah

Exactly!!! Also the title (like most things on the internet designed to get attention, read "clicks") is misleading. Canon didn't use these cameras to make this commercial. They went out and bought footage from other people who had used their cameras for a variety of other purposes. And if you look at the story of this commercial that falls in line. We brought the cameras, here is some of the creativity you "brought".

August 2, 2014

I've had my fair share of borderline titles, but this one says exactly what happened.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

i'm out ... been with mk lll for three years, mk ll for two years prior to that ... gh4 landed three days ago, mk lll body and L lenses are being ebay'd out the door as we speak.

this reminds me of the apple arrogance --- when apple all but grabbed me by the shirt collar and dragged me to adobe's front door, pretty much compelling me to look at the merits of creative suite, after the final insult ... eeerrrrrrr ... final cut jerk-around.

bye canon.

steve knifton

When the Ptool firmware hack came out years ago for the GH1, Panasonic tried to block it. In fact the last production run of the GH1 had it's firmware "locked" when leaving the factory. I remember it well...I was the lucky punter who bought one and first announced it to a very disbelieving DVXuser forum...and a pissed off VK.

With in a short time VK figured out how to overcome the block...and the rest is history. The point is Panasonic not only learned to live with the hack...actually leaned FROM it. Panasonic decision makers watched and learned...of the need to listen to consumers and give them the features that the end users desperately wanted (and not financially fuck them over for the end product by price gouging).

That's why after a brief flirtation with the Canon 5D2 a few years ago I dumped Canon (probably forever) and am a very happy Panasonic GH3 and GH4 owner...with lots of lovely Lumix glass.

Sony are slowly learning to stop treating customers like morons and simply drip-feeding them "new" camera technology (crap 24 bit rate codecs; PsF)...Canon are still entrenched in their arrogant old ways of the past.

Skeptikal

It's kinda funny, but it's really hard to stay shooting with a MKIII without RAW mode, if you got BMCC, GH4, A7S as options... All those cameras have an image far superior than MKIII. And RAW is awesome, best skin tones avaliable besides the alexa IMO, but it's just a pain in the arse to work with, unfortunately.
Let's see what canon will bring in 2015 with the 5D MKIV, but I wouldn't expect them to cannibalize their C series...

alex mand

thats ridiculous to say its 'boarders on the fraudulent', whats the problem? Use their camera, download the hack and film. End of story. I've been using the hack for two years and its never bricked my camera nor anyone else I know.

Shaun Wilson

It borders on the fraudulent because Canon seems to be saying it's a feature of the camera even though they have discouraged its use. According to a user on t2iforum:

"I contacted Canon Support Portugal about using ML, the answer was the following:

"Quote

"(…) the use of custom firmware or any other third party accessory with our equipment will void the warranty of the product IF PROVEN that the malfunction of the device was caused by the use of those. Canon respects the rights that their customers have to decide what accessories or firmware to use, although we do not recommended their use, and we are not responsible for any damage to the equipment."

They didn't create the functionality, they discourage its use insofar as they will void your warranty if they can prove it caused your camera to malfunction, then they promote the camera using Magic Lantern, leaving unwary consumers to believe the stock camera has this ability. It's deceptive and borders on fraudulent.

August 3, 2014

Tzedekh

Exactly!
People are so quick to jump ship. Especially when the solution is so simple!
The camera is a tool.
No matter what you use, or how cheap expensive it is, it does NOT make you a professional.
Your work and how you use your tools make you a professional.
As for me, I'm sticking with my Canons.
My weapons of choice.

August 10, 2014

Frank B.

I left Canon years ago and I can't wait to never buy a Canon again... With that said I will buy or use the camera that best helps me tell my story. However, factoring cost and features, Canon continues to remain at the bottom of the barrel, for me at least.

Jonesy

They could have shot everything on C500 connected to AJA's Ki Pro Quad for 4K ProRes and it still would have been "legal". GH4 4K promos were using that same Ki Pro Quad via YAGH while Sony A7s was recording its 4K into BMD's Hyperdeck Studio Pro. This commingling of brands seems to be an accepted practice in the industry.
In any case, it remains to be seen where Canon places its new products. You'd think that 7D II would have 4K, among other things, and be priced under $2K but it's far beyond certain. And the 4K market from $3K for BMPC4K to $10K for 1D C is still wide open.

DLD

"Then we brought hollywood caliber HD video to a DSLR". The C500 definitely is not a DSLR.

dembek

So, if someone managed to put a Red dragon sensor in a T2i and Canon got hold of it, they could use it to promote their camera?

I think the music a ML enabled camera to promote their cameras is absolutely wrong!

Tone13

So True. It should be illegal!

AJ*

"The music" should read 'them using'

Tone13

I think It's so bulls$*t that they use video that doesn't do what it's 'standard warranty camera' can shoot. It's like a phone company making a commercial, "Look how cool our phone is and look at all the cool features it has," but the problem is it wards your warranty!! WTF CANON!!

AJ*

We all are able to buy DSLR's and Video Camera's that are no match to its predecessors from a decade ago. I feel the emphasis laid on missing features of today's available hardware is extreme.

I hope you do not get distracted too much by this theme and move on to produce fantastic film or documentary with the camera you have available.

Richard Lizier

Why is everybody bashing canon/ML? I've been using ML on t2i, 50D raw and now 5D3 raw without any problems, thanks to Alex & ml team :-). Looking at a7s, ever tried dual iso on 5D3? GH4 has indeed 4k for lowest price, but I wouldn't color grade with such compressed image. If you use GH4 it is better to choose the best color profile which fits best for the shot. Then there is still the stills: 5D makes the best photos, which is also a big deal to me. I do a lot of sports photography, so for now I'll still use my 5D with pleasure. Let's see IBC 2014 and photokina in Koln will bring us in September.

jgerstel

I get it, hating Canon or Apple is soooo easy.
But in Canons case, we are watching an old big company moving into new terrain.
It´s like Volkswagen suddenly building moon-rovers (or an other specialized car). Would everyone expect VW to sell a moon-rover at the price of a NewBeetle?
Or better: Would every NewBeetle owner complain about there car being "crippled" because it can`t drive on the moon - although VW obviously has the knowledge to build it?
Canon started with a filming DSLR and ended with a thought-through digital cinema camera series for various budgets.
You get what you pay for and compared to what used to be "lower budget", Canon offered a lot.
And we are still experiencing first generation hardware...
All the rave about the GH4 and A7s now - what REALLY would be of interest are an updated AF100 and FS100. Both will be somewhere in-between C100 and C300 price range.
And both will come from companies in much more need to protect their higher-end market...

BearWithMe

Just sold my 5D2 and my t2i and bought a Sony 7s. Loved canon and wished the guts of the 7s was in the form factor of the c100 with the built in ND. So many great cameras have resulted from the revolution Canon accidentally started. I have nothing but love for them. The market place is taking care of the revolution from here on out. I hope they want it as bad as everyone else. I'd love to buy another Canon one day.

Matthew

I do still think cameras are to do more than just specs, it's as much to do with the quality of the footage and I think that Canon's got that down much better than Sony. That's why I tend to stay away from Sony.. But this of course is just a personal preference.

August 5, 2014

How so? I work on a C100/ninja combo every day and the image from the A7s humiliates that combo. Let alone C100's H264 codec.. The C100 has some good features (NDs, button layout, xlr ins) but the image is a bit average, considering its off a 4k sensor. Their sensors are rated at 11 stops. Highlight retention is rubbish. Even the BM pocket does an amazing job in comparison. Considering they're only offering 8bit, why upset thousands by limiting the HDMI out to 8 bit as well? The viewfinder may as well not be there... It's actually unusable!

August 9, 2014

Marko Hila

whats all the fuss about? No one screams when you use a 3rd party lens on a Canon and not a Canon over priced lens.. or a 3rd party flash.. Who says that canon can only show images using only canon equipment? There are so many factors that go into a finished image with post.. Its like saying that any photo that was processed using Photoshop is void as it was not colored using Canon's crappy software that comes with every camera.. So if what most people are saying on here, its that it has to be canon the entire way down the line, then that will never happen..

August 7, 2014

Also in line with this thinking that any 3rd party picture style, like Cinema or the Technicolor picture style can't be used in any Canon ads because it did not come with the camera... And of course it can.. its still all shot on a canon body.

August 7, 2014

As I mentioned before I buy every that gets the job done. I buy Canon? Yes it has the kind of looks for some of my work. Sony? The same. Panasonic? Sure! Why not? RED?ARRI? Yes yes yes. Depends on the job. Why should I drop one brand to another? To limit my creative capacity? If I could only get one that would be a different story. Meanwhile i buy all and keep busy. ;-)

August 8, 2014

Augusto Alves d...

Cameras are like guns..
you load em,
aim em,
& shoot!

Now!
If all cameramen/women were hitmen,
(& we are in a way) (were trying to make a killing)
(We get paid for shooting people)

You have your weapon of choice, but you still have other tools in your arsenal.
And above all... the skills to use these weapons. Stop being crybabies, & use your weapons

August 10, 2014

Frank B.

I'm no Pro to start with but apart from some demos shown by some comparing Raw footage to non-Raw I see little difference in the image. I doubt the majority of the public will notice it as well. So why use it? I've seen some proponents show the advantages of it is mostly during post, but that's it.

August 11, 2014