February 20, 2015

These Premiere Pro Keyboard Shortcuts Will Save You Absurd Amounts of Time

Premiere Pro CC Keyboard Shortcuts
Editing with the keyboard has been scientifically proven to make you a faster editor.

All right fine, I just made up that last bit about it being scientifically proven. However, in my personal experience, and from having known a wide array of editors using an even wider array of editing techniques, I've noticed that keyboard-driven editing tends to be the quickest, most precise way to cut down footage, especially when it comes to trimming and removing large portions of a clip at one time.

In a recent article and video, Josh from reTooled.net showed off a few lesser known keyboard shortcuts in Premiere Pro CC that will definitely save you boatloads of time in your next edit:

Here's the full list of shortcuts from the video:

• Ripple Trim Previous / Next Edit to Playhead: Q / W
  • Slip / Move / Trim with Keyboard: Cmd+ Opt ← → / Cmd ← →  & Opt+↑ ↓ / Opt+ ← →
  • Panel Windows:
    Shift+1 = Project Panel
    Shift+2 = Source Monitor cycles through open clips
    Shift+3 = Timeline Panel cycles through open sequences
    Shift+5 = Effects Control
    Shift+8 = Media Browser
  • Trim Edit/Toggle Trim Types: t/ Cntrl+t
  • Nudge Audio Volume Down  & Up: [ & ]
  • Select Next & Previous Clip: Cmd ↑ ↓
  • Replace Clip Match Frame:Opt+Shift+Drag

Custom Shortcuts

• Show Video / Audio Keyframes: Cntl+k / Cntl+Shift+k
  • Delete Tracks: Cntl+Opt+Cmd+Delete
  • Set to Frame Size: Opt+Cmd+F

For me, the single greatest revelation from this tutorial is the Ripple Trim Previous / Next Edit to Playhead command, which is set to the Q and W keys respectively in the default Premiere Pro keyboard layout. This shortcut essentially makes two and three point editing obsolete, at least in regards to removing media from your timeline, as it assumes that the playhead and closest edit point are the points you've chosen and that you want to extract the media between those two points. If you combine this technique with moving the playhead through your timeline with the J,K, and L keys, you may never have to touch your mouse again when trimming.

What are some of your favorite time-saving keyboard shortcuts in Premiere Pro (or other NLEs)?

I heard that editing with a Wacom trumps a keyboard.

Plus maybe this

Can the more experienced than I comment further ?

February 20, 2015 at 10:41PM, Edited February 20, 10:41PM

Saied M.

I use a wacom with a Logitech G13 gaming keypad and it's been a revelation. Got the idea from Adam Bell A.C.E he talks about it here 6 minutes inhttp://connect.avid.com/2014-HungerGames-Webinar.html. Its also great with Resolve

February 21, 2015 at 4:04AM

Lee MJ Daley
Animator / 3D & Motion designer / Lighting cameraman

Thanks for sharing. I understand the gaming community are inadvertently giving more options to the VFX and editing community. That Logitech G13 does look interesting - presumably you have it rigged for shortcuts as a single click for your most used functions. I like the way it's shaped like a hand.

February 21, 2015 at 11:24AM

Saied M.

Editing with a Wacom tablet will save you wrists and extend the length of your career, but you will still need a keyboard (or some kind) for speedy shortcuts.

Just thought I'd add to the discussion by pointing to a couple more links that might be of interest...

If you want more info on editing with a Logitech G13 check out this post

If you want more info on general editing mice, keyboards, controllers and more check out this lengthy round up

February 21, 2015 at 3:46PM

Jonny Elwyn
Editor and Blogger

Thanks for sharing, really informative stuff. I want a Wacom now!

February 21, 2015 at 4:16PM, Edited February 21, 4:16PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

Ow man a couple of these would have saved me so much time on my last edit :D

Anyone know shortcuts for color labelling clips?

February 21, 2015 at 4:47AM, Edited February 21, 4:47AM

Samu Amunét
Director

I hear it's scientifically proven, that if you *actually* want to work faster... SWITCH TO FCP X. Most of these can be done with a SINGLE key in X, which clearly is far more efficient. Let alone that it absolutely *smokes* PPro in terms of organization.

February 21, 2015 at 5:12AM

seeing the -10, some people do seem to miss of a sense of humour to react to this post ; )

Being a not so sensitive Premiere user, I can only agree that organizing media in Premiere CC is hard labour. Your post though, is somewhat of topic. May be that is disturbing people.

February 22, 2015 at 11:08AM

Thanks for these great tips!

February 21, 2015 at 11:35AM

Great tutorial! Thanks a lot! I tried to shortcuts for ripple trim like a 2 months but all my friend sad that it's impossible to do in Premiere (that it exist only in Avid and Final Cut). You same my future time! Thanks again!

And my favourites shortcuts is standard one that I change for my hands - q-is to zoom in, w is for zoom out, f - for delete and other - nothing special that I think. Ou, I've bind Change Speed Duration for "H" - it's common in use (for reversing speed and other) so it works for me well. Also I have special buttons for enable and disable the clip - option+` .

February 21, 2015 at 2:05PM, Edited February 21, 2:05PM

Sergiy Pidich
Director

I'm confused on the replace clip match frame shortcut. How often do two clips have the same timecode? Or is this specific to a multicam setup?

The shortcut seems interesting and efficient enough. If someone could further explain the application of it I would really appreciate it.

February 23, 2015 at 12:56PM, Edited February 23, 12:56PM

John Hrindo
Editor

If you are updating a rendered comp with a newer version from After Effects this would be a common use for the match frame replace.

February 23, 2015 at 2:16PM

How did you make your Premiere Pro interface look like it does in the video?
Mine has a less-cool yellow playhead, whereas yours is a nice blue! Overall, I like your interface better! How did you achieve that?
Thanks!