April 15, 2015
NAB 2015

Rosco Blinds Us With a Ridiculously Powerful 8x8" LitePad Vector

Rosco Laboratories is known for many things, but lately they've brought out extremely useful, low-profile LED tech. Check out the new ultra bright 8x8" Litepad Vector (4 times as bright as its 12x12" predecessor) and more.

Litepad Vector (8x8"):

• Daylight 6000k unit ($995)
  • Bi-color unit ($1,095)
  • CRI up to 93
  • Draws 65W
  • 1,500 lux @ 1 meter
  • 2-Head Backpack Kit ($2,300) w/ rain covers / travel accessories
  • 3-Head rolling kit ($3,700) w/ light stands, egg crates, rolling case
  • Optional cheese plates for different power supplies
  • Available late April

LED Tape:

• 12v LED strips available in different 5-meter reel kits: Variable White, Fixed Color White and RGB+White
  • 90+ CRI
  • DMX friendly
  • Aiming for early June release

Opti-Flecs LED specific gels:

• Designed to deal with the green spike of LEDs or just add warmth / color

Rosco Silk 210:

• 1x2' Soft Light
  • No green spike or color aberrations
  • 2400 Lux @ 1 meter
  • Just under $2,400

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

How do you convert 1,500 lux @ 1 meter to an exposure value?

April 15, 2015 at 1:52AM

You can learn the math or you can use a light meter.

It is around 9.3 EV

April 15, 2015 at 4:34AM

Edgar More
All

cri 93? I mean what? You can easily get LEDs that are above 96 97, so why stick to the low cri?

April 15, 2015 at 8:23AM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

CRI is an outdated system from the 1970's it should not be used as the gold standard in colour reproduction. I don't know why so many companies at NAB are mentioning the CRI at all.

April 21, 2015 at 5:15PM

Adam Prest
Camera, Edit and Workflow Technician

I'd check the green spike. Every time Rosco puts out a Litepad, it has a green spike. From the DL to HO to Axiom. Always green. Especially bad with Alexa/Amira sensor.
In my experience.

April 15, 2015 at 9:51AM

Jacques Adelle-Boix
Director

Yes. I I feel like the CRI system is completely worthless for non continuous source lighting. I read something about it, but now I can't find it...it was basically saying why (in a more articulate manner) how CRI doesn't mean much with LEDs. These things, particularly in a mixed light environment, can just look awful, sometimes full on Hulk or martian skin tones.

April 18, 2015 at 4:00AM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op

When I say, "these things", I'm not referring to LED in general, but definitely the Rosco ones. I've had okay luck with litepanels and the Kino Flo Celebs, but all the Rosco's I've used have been awful. It's kind of ironic, since they used to be mainly a gel manufacturer. Use their gels to bring the tint back in line when you use their lights?

April 18, 2015 at 4:03AM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op

I just saw the video...and the gels they have just for LED actually basically backs up what I just said! Also, with their Silk light, the rep was saying the the focus was on making a beautiful light that would be really good, that it wouldn't have a green spike...which makes it sound like, "this one that costs $2400 won't have the green spike that our reasonably priced lights have! That's just barely cheaper than a Kino Flo Celeb 200. It's a little brighter, but the celeb has plenty of punch and has a little bigger surface area. Been burned with their cheap lights, I think I'll stick with Kinos whenever I can.

April 18, 2015 at 4:42AM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op

I love the idea of a super soft & pleasant light requiring no additional accessories or time like the Rosco Vector. I would be open towards the Rosco Litepad models like the Vector, but the extra work/cost required to add battery power combined with the green spike and price tag of $1,000 for just the light and no real accessories made it too tough to purchase.

Deciding on a super soft fill light I ended up choosing between the "Fill-Lite 200" and the "Intellytech SoftBox Light" S12 & R18. Like the Litepad, the Fill-Lite 200 lacked an easy way to add batteries and was overpriced at over $2000.

I ended up going with the Intellytech SoftBox Light. The closest model to the Rosco 8"x8" Vector is the Intellytech Softbox R12. It's bigger, 12"x12"... Chose bi-color or 5600k. I went with the bi-color because the output isn't much lower then the single color version. Its $499 and comes as an entire kit including 2 np-f batteries, charger, AC, case and an Anton Bauer or V-Mount battery plate.
It produces the softest and widest light I've ever seen on an continuous LED. Even better then lights with diffusion and softboxes added. It's listed at 140 degrees and it looks that vast. The color is highly accurate and look fantastic on skin tones (no green spike). You don't need to alter the light with any diffusion or softbox, it's ready to go right out of the box which is my favorite part. Also available in a bigger and more powerful version called R18 (18" circle/$675). The R18's size is more comparable to the Fill-Lite 200. The R18 can fill an entire room or green screen with a completely even and soft cast. Smaller sized models are also offered for $149.
All the SoftBox Lights are super light and thin (less then an inch) and come as full kits in cases making traveling with them super convenient.
Considering the cost and quality, you can't go wrong with them if your looking for Fill. Here's a link to the various models: http://www.intellytechusa.com/collections/softbox-lights-led-accent-series

October 30, 2015 at 3:26AM

bob travoy
DP

Wow ........! That's as bright as my $30 Neewer CN-160.

April 23, 2016 at 6:34AM