April 20, 2016
NAB 2016

The Coolest Thing We've Seen At NAB is $125 & Fits in Your Pocket

The Kickstarter funded Rollocam HERCULES is the world's smallest dolly.

Though it might sound a little gimmicky the HERCULES is actually one of the best designed products we've seen in Vegas so far, purely because it's so simple. The tiny dolly, obviously optimized for DSLR's, can handle up to a 10 lb camera, can roll in both directions and is programmable at five different speeds from .1 to 1 inch per second. Attachable brackets allow the dolly to follow different paths, while placing magnets in that path will cause the dolly to change direction.

The product raised $380,000 dollars on Kickstarter and is currently available for pre-order. The least expensive model is $125 and if you want all the bells and whistles it'll only put you back $250. The dolly, and a selection of accessories, will start shipping mid-July.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Finally

April 20, 2016 at 4:08PM

VERY cool, but it needs an app.

April 20, 2016 at 4:24PM

Josh.R
Motion Designer/Predator

No, just no. Why does it need an app? simple one button interface, and no dumb blutooth circuitry or battery bleed. Na dude, it's well thought out.

April 21, 2016 at 1:45PM

Rean Combrinck
Film Maker

I concur.
This is awesome. And that's without even considering any applications. :)

April 20, 2016 at 4:25PM

Ezi Seel

The simplest uses I can think of involve product cinematography and time lapse.

April 21, 2016 at 9:20PM, Edited April 21, 9:20PM

Andy Zou
Producer
Filmmaker / Creative Director

The headline of this article speaks volumes about how lame this years NAB was.

April 20, 2016 at 4:47PM

Shane Rickard
Producer

Wow! This is gonna be perfect for starting filmmakers and videographers, although I do think an app would be helpful.

April 20, 2016 at 5:04PM

Sean Quillen
Filmmaker

@Shane: I have to disagree with you.

First, as many commentators have pointed out, this NAB seems to be more about consolidation; making things actually work in the field. This could be boring for some gearheads, who might have been waiting for an 8K RAW, 18 stops dynamic range, interior stabilizing, perfect autofocus camera monster for below 1000€. But I think there are other NFS users, who actually have to deliver work for a living.

Being one of those people, I am quite regularly presented with the challenge of getting some decent interior or pack shots on the fly. As a drama and action guy, honestly, I loathe this stuff, but it has to be done.
I typically carry an Edelkrone slider with a target module for these shots, good tool, gonna buy the action module, too. Problem is, my clients often bitch with me about extra luggage, and why 23kg is not enough. They want the results, but they can't see what is going into it.

So this guy comes up with a super cute minimalistic table top dolly, and it is motorized, too. And can fit in my carry on luggage. As a working filmmaker, this gets my immediate attention. I applaud the guy who came up with this; and I whole-heartedly agree with NFS calling this the "coolest thing we've seen so far" at NAB.

April 20, 2016 at 5:41PM

Gerrit Haaland
Filmmaker

Brilliant! Awesome! Want!!

I could see myself getting a lot of use out of this.

April 20, 2016 at 6:55PM

I love the price point, and love the concept and design aspect of it. This is what I've heard:
- Great concept
- battery port needs a better contact mechanism
- balance is really tricky
- main drive wheel can slip (very surface dependant)
- can be finicky to setup, not run and gun
- one button program press, though great idea, is not super intuitive. Some have mentioned having an app would be awesome.

April 20, 2016 at 7:15PM

Kevin Loh
Creative Director / Videographer / Editor

What are the 'bells and whistles' you get for $250?

April 21, 2016 at 12:02PM, Edited April 21, 12:02PM

Luke Price
Editor // Filmmaker

April 21, 2016 at 6:45PM, Edited April 21, 6:45PM

zetty
Filmmaker

I come from a time when apps didn't exist, so pushing a button isn't that difficult for me. For those that need an app, sit tight and twiddle your thumbs. Amazing little tool and that price, what?!

April 21, 2016 at 1:44PM

Gusto Lopez
DP

Just got my device shipped yesterday! It works so well! It's a lot smaller and lighter than expected. Beyond having problems balancing (which is expected for something this insanely light!), it's almost a dream come true. Find a flat surface (or carry a flat surface with you) and then you can start shooting. It's so light I just keep it attached to my camera. Brilliant and Kickstarter project well backed!

April 22, 2016 at 11:58AM