July 7, 2016

Fujifilm Brings 4K Video to New Flagship X-T2 Mirrorless Camera

Fujifilm has announced the next generation of their flagship mirrorless cameras, the X-T2, and while loyalists have mainly been still photographers, filmmakers are more likely interested in its 4K video capabilities.

Dipped in a 4K candy shell, the DSLR-shaped APS-C camera harnesses a 23.6mm x 15.6mm (24.3MP) X-Trans CMOS III sensor and a randomized pixel array that reduces aliasing and moiré without the need of an optical low-pass filter. The X-T2 is also equipped with the X-Processor Pro, which boosts start-up time, continuous shooting modes, and write speeds. Combined, the two provide faster autofocus and a better image quality that mimics the organic nature of film. The sensor has a native sensitivity range of ISO 200-128000  (1/3 step) that can be expanded to ISO 51200.

Here's a film shot with the X-T2, Akiyama-go, as well as a BTS video:

Key features

• 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
  • X-Processor Pro Engine
  • 4K at up to 30fps, HD at up to 60fps
  • 0.77x 2.36m-Dot OLED Viewfinder
  • 3.0" 1.04m-Dot 3-Way Tilting LCD Screen
  • Internal UHD 4K Video & F-Log Gamma
  • Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
  • 325-Point Intelligent Hybrid AF System
  • Up to 8 fps Shooting and ISO 51200
  • Weather-Sealed Body; Two UHS-II SD Slots
  • Film Simulation and Grain Effect Modes

While we’re not getting the joy of a full frame sensor, the small 1.17x crop does capture internal 4K/UHD (3840 x 2160) at 29.97, 25, 24,  23.98 fps at 100Mbps. It captures 1.8x (5120 x 2880) the number of pixels needed for 4K video ensuring maximum resolution is provided and 2.4x (3000 x 1687) for HD. The one caveat: you only get 10 minutes of record time in 4K/UHD (15 in HD). It’s most likely due to overheating concerns which can be expanded to 30 minutes using the optional Vertical Power Booster Grip.

The X-T2 does have a clean HDMI output (8-bit 4:2:2) along with an F-Log gamma for workflows needing that extra push of dynamic range in the grade. It’s also worth noting the autofocus system has been re-engineered, boasting a 325 Intelligent Hybrid AF System, including 91 zone focusing points which improves accurate focusing for shooting situations like run-and-gun and action sequences even in low light with a -3EV.

You can view footage from either 2.36M-dot OLED EVF or from a 1.04-dot 3-inch LCD screen that articulates. In video mode, you trigger recordings using the main shutter and there’s also a remote jack and threaded release socket that can roll the camera. Dual memory card (SDHC/SDXC) slots capture images with a suggested UHS Speed Class 3 for video. Fuji also gives a slew of film simulations options to choose from and color temperatures ranging from 2500K-10000K.

Beyond video and autofocus, the specs see a bump all around with audio catered with an external mic minijack input. Levels can be adjusted manually, but the only headphone jack you’ll find is on the power grip.

You can preorder the X-T2 now at B&H for $1,600 (body only) and $1,900 (which includes a 18-55mm lens).

So, what do you think? Is the latest from Fuji worth adding to your toolkit?

Latitude in video mode? Seems quite likely to crunch blacks and whites ...

July 7, 2016 at 11:19PM, Edited July 7, 11:19PM

You can check out the music video i shot with fujifilm xt2... Rendered in Youtube 1080p... The camera performs great for me.... It depends on how you grade in post production

May 4, 2017 at 2:29AM

Akin Makinde
Film maker, Editor, Colorist

To be honest the footage looks quite video-ish, not really filmlike. Now, ofcourse thats not bad for a mirrorless cam, but they are presenting it like its this massive big deal. I haven't really seen that yet.

Then again, I assume this camera is more focussed on still images anyways.

July 8, 2016 at 7:27AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Whenever I see that I wonder if it's just 30p footage. The Japanese still seem to like 30P even though the rest of us fled it like the plague when 24p became available.

July 8, 2016 at 4:13PM, Edited July 8, 4:33PM

Mike Tesh
Pro Video / Indie Filmmaker

In fairness, I think we need to see some real clips from real videographers, as every promo done by camera companies (including Panasonic and Sony) generally look very sharp and video-like.

July 10, 2016 at 2:33AM

You can check out the music video i shot with fujifilm xt2...

May 4, 2017 at 2:30AM

Akin Makinde
Film maker, Editor, Colorist

4k looks simply stunning to me, roll offs are very nice here - https://youtu.be/yKHmL5m6FA4?t=100
freeze frame that and smile.. impressive eh!

August 27, 2016 at 11:37AM

Tony Anastasi
Filmmaker

I love that the screen tilts both ways. But the video quality is nothing to write home about... blacks crushed, poor DR. Motion cadence looks very video. A major step forward is true, but only for Fuji. This camera is cutting edge for 2014, not 2016.

July 8, 2016 at 8:54AM, Edited July 8, 8:54AM

Interesting! So I guess I have the summer to decide between this one and a Canon 7d mark ii (for a 2-3 years-long travel around the world).
For those who didn't like the video above, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUtANbzCFE&feature=youtu.be.
I like it!

July 8, 2016 at 10:15AM

Vincent Galiano
Filmmaker / Screenwriter / Photographer

This is way better but still... Why you don't go with a Sony 6300 or a Panasonic G7? I payed 539 dollar for my G7 and it gives me basically the same quality of a GH4. I used to own a BMPCC (one of the best camera in terms of color science) but now that I work full time for an agency and I am starting taking photos I found the G7 just perfect.

July 8, 2016 at 11:39AM

Matteo Bertoli
Cinematographer - Colorist

You can buy a brand new GH4 now for £800 I've had mine now for over a year and haven't looked back. I honestly can't see me upgrading anytime soon. If the GH5 comes out with the same ISO performance as the Sony A7s I'll reconsider but otherwise, I don't know I reckon I pretty happy at the moment.

July 9, 2016 at 6:44AM, Edited July 9, 6:44AM

John Stockton
Film maker, Editor, Photographer.

True. I've had my GH4 for about 18 months and I don't really feel the need to upgrade. Image quality is still fantastic.

And that's just using it out of the box. I'm considering buying a speedbooster to give it an APS-C image and possibly an external recorder for 10-bit.

July 9, 2016 at 7:12AM, Edited July 9, 7:14AM

Plus, the sensor in this camera is the same as the A6300 (at least before Fuji's X-Trans array process is added to it).

July 10, 2016 at 2:34AM

G7 and GH4 are 4/3. I do pictures everyday when I travel; more than videos, and I will take at least an APS-C. I just had a look at the sony 6300, it's interesting; I like what I see. But I'll stick with Canon (like the 80D actually, more than the 7D mark ii) because of the material I have unless I go Fuji. Thanks for the tip anyway! I think we really need to see proper video for the Fuji. So far it's not so impressive.

July 28, 2016 at 10:45AM

Vincent Galiano
Filmmaker / Screenwriter / Photographer

If you're going to be on the road for 2-3 years I agree with your decision on the 7d mark ii (unless you can afford a used 5d mark II or III?)--they're beasts and can handle the all the bumps and bruises it'll inevitably take on the road...and if it breaks it's a heck of a lot easier to repair (of course, show me a camera brand and I'll show you a link to a horror story...). Good luck!

July 8, 2016 at 10:07PM

Lee Cohen

Actually i like the 80D and it's touchscreen more than the 7D mark ii. They are very similar.

July 28, 2016 at 10:47AM

Vincent Galiano
Filmmaker / Screenwriter / Photographer

Agreed on the Videoesque look. Great specs but not something id be jumping to pick up.

July 8, 2016 at 11:29AM, Edited July 8, 11:29AM

Ulrich Sterling
Maker of Awesomeness

I'm not seeing a great highlight roll-off or shadows, or dynamic range.

July 8, 2016 at 3:08PM

David Barrington
Videographer

I had the XT-1 and loved the manual controls on top (no digging through menus) and sharp images from their prime lenses...ultimately had to ditch it due to lack of video options. While this is clearly an upgrade, without in-camera stabilization close to the Sony A7 series I think it's a non-starter...even if they added $500 to the price tag it would be worth it for me. But alas, no such luck.

July 8, 2016 at 10:03PM

Lee Cohen

Isn't Sony's 5-axis stabilization generally poorly reviewed though?
Now my GX85, that's got some serious stabilization worthy of envy.

July 10, 2016 at 2:37AM

No 10-bit output? For film work this is dead on launch. The GH4 has 10-bit 422 output and that camera is already 2 years old

July 9, 2016 at 4:07AM

Adrian Maurud
Cinematographer

Under that rationale, you've pretty much eliminated a handful of well-reviewed and commonly used cameras from Sony, Canon, and Panasonic. I mean, your point is valid, but I look at this camera as an already awesome stills camera that now has pretty good video specs. The GH4 is a really good video-oriented camera that takes ok stills.

July 10, 2016 at 2:44AM

It may be stellar at stills. But that is not important to me, and i think a lot of people on this forum agrees. My main point is that when a 2 year old camera have a feature that is essential to many people. You should really try and implement that as well. I cant really say anything about these kind of time frames. But they should have added lets say 6 months to the development cycle to figure out 10-bit output. But that is of course just my opinion

July 10, 2016 at 6:41AM

Adrian Maurud
Cinematographer

Metabones we need an ef adapter ASAP

July 9, 2016 at 2:39PM

For the "still" part, I am positive this camera from Fuji ticks a lot of boxes and also for the operating way it has some major points (at least for outdoor use, which I am interested in), like the charge in camera option thru usb, the option to use the grip as a booster and as a battery charger, the ergonomics, etc.

It would be interesting to see the 4k video recorded in camera and then downsampled to 1080. It should be possible to have a 4:2:2 video this way. I suppose this would be the best way to use this new xt2 for video works.

July 9, 2016 at 4:57PM

It's a 1.17x crop of an APS-C sensor, which is a 1.52x crop factor when compared to full frame sensors. So to shoot 4K... it's essentially 1.69x crop factor, which is unfortunate.

July 11, 2016 at 12:51PM

Does anybody knows if you can open the video files from fuji xt-2 in Adobe Premiere Pro? Or do you have to convert them to another format?

June 24, 2017 at 6:42PM