September 7, 2016

Here Are All the Official Specs for the New iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

There were a lot of iPhone 7 rumors buzzing around, and as it turns out, a lot of them were true.

Apple held their September keynote today in San Francisco and, like most of you had already guessed, unveiled the next iteration of their smartphones, the highly anticipated iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. We shared a list of features that were leaked by a top Apple analyst this last weekend, and although it was all conjecture at that point, it appears that most of the features on that list were right on the money, including the big one, the dual wide-angle/telephoto camera.

Here are the features mentioned at the keynote:

iOS 10

• Lift phone to wake
  • Siri updates
  • Home automation with HomeKit
  • Biggest iOS update ever

iPhone 7/7 Plus

Design

• New shiny "Jet Black" design
  • Force sensitive, solid state home button (think the MacBook Pro trackpad)
  • Home button features taptic engine API and is programmable
  • Water and dust resistant enclosure (meets IP67 protection standard)
  • Better battery life
  • 32GB/128GB/256GB
  • Looks similar to the iPhone 6

Audio

• 3.5mm headphone jack removed
  • Lightning EarPods and a 3.5mm-to-Lightning headphone adaptor included in the box
  • Stereo speakers

Camera(s)

• Optical image stabilizer
  • Shoot RAW DNG files
  • Wider F1.8 aperture
  • 6-element lens for sharper images
  • All new high speed 12MP sensor (60% faster)
  • Quad-LED True Tone flash: 50% more light, light flicker sensor reads flickering of artificial lights
  • Apple designed image signal processor: auto exposure, focus,color, noise reduction, and cinema standard color and white balance
  • 7MP front-facing camera (up from 5MP)
  • iPhone 7 Plus features the rumored dual camera system: built-in zoom feature, 2x optical zoom, 10x software zoom, depth map for shallow depth of field (forthcoming free software update allows users to select "portrait" camera option and select "depth effect")
  • Retina HD display: wide color gamut, end-to-end color management, 25% brighter, cinema standard

Price

• iPhone 7: starts at $649
  • iPhone 7 Plus: starts at $769

Here are some images captured with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus:

Clearly the newest versions of the iPhone doesn't really compete with good DSLRs and all of their advanced features and tools, but Apple adds a little bit more (not as much, again, as we would've liked) to their smartphone camera that may appeal to smartphone filmmakers. Features like the 6-element F1.8 lens, ISP, and the dual camera system in particular are all a step in the right direction in terms of versatility and professional-grade aesthetics.

But the feature I found most interesting is actually the iPhone 7 Plus' software upgrade which adds a special shooting mode that allows users to add depth-of-field in real time. Though it's not technically "real" DoF, the depth map Apple engineers are working on keeps subjects in focus while blurring the background artificially.

The ability to capture sharp images with vibrant colors, even in low-light situations, is something that makes smartphone filmmaking more of a possibility with an iPhone. (And all in RAW DNG!)

Preorders start on Friday, September 9th.

. delete

September 7, 2016 at 5:53PM, Edited September 7, 5:53PM

BD

I once was filming in the middle of the ocean and my c300 died (I was getting reckless with it). Not sure what to do because I was filming sharks. The underwater unit was pretty deep and the other boat was going to miss the epic shark shot. So I dished out my iphone and filmed it. When I looked at the dailies it looked phenomenal! After the colorist did a pass it just looked like I used a wide lens on a deep stop. I haven't tried much since. A friend of mine shot this movie, Tangerine, on an iphone 5. The look went well with the genre. It needed the gritty 70's feel. I want to see how this one holds up on a sound stage in a controlled environment. Everyone blames your work for looking good on the camera. Imagine instead of saying you shot on an Alexa or Red you could say it was shot on an iphone. That would be a lot of fun!

September 7, 2016 at 6:46PM

Filmbaker
Writer/Director

you friends with sean baker? worddd

September 9, 2016 at 10:16AM

Arturo Dickson
WEAR ALL HATS

The airbuds are going to look like earrings.

Notice in apples promo videos they are careful not to show anyone wearing them from the front, only from the side showing just one.

September 7, 2016 at 10:43PM

...Or you can wear just one and pretend you are a crew member of Star Trek TOS : http://goo.gl/X9g3FV

September 7, 2016 at 11:24PM, Edited September 7, 11:28PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Have you ever seen a science fiction movie Simon? Guess having the type of headphone interaction in the "Her" film with siri's growing capabilities does not interest you. Obviously the future does not interest you. Better get that 8-track and turn up that hi-fi, hipster.

September 8, 2016 at 10:30AM

K

September 8, 2016 at 2:45PM

You missed my point.

Two EarPods without wires will look like earrings!! Baahahahahahah

And apple know this and thats why there is not a single image or video on apples website showing them from the front seeing both at the same time.

Enjoy your white earrings.

September 8, 2016 at 8:56PM, Edited September 8, 8:57PM

They're going to be all over the gym floors

September 8, 2016 at 10:53PM

I always chose my phones for three things - Camera, size and battery life. Because of that I've been using Windows Phones for four years now, having the Lumia 950 with its phenomenal camera next to me right now. It is no DSLR, but I have it with me and it's just more portable. It shoots raw if needed, has a 20 megapixel sensor and has an amazing dynamic range for a phone.
But this, this looks genuinely interesting, and I have to admit that the 7+ looks like my perfect smartphone camera. If only it was a bit smaller...

September 8, 2016 at 3:47AM

Benjamin Skorov
Somehow all of it, Hobbyist, Essayist

I'm happy they removed the headphone jack. It was so inconvenient to have.

September 8, 2016 at 10:46AM, Edited September 8, 10:46AM

It takes courage to pull off such a thing. Someone had to do it.

September 8, 2016 at 11:13AM, Edited September 8, 11:12AM

Your being sarcastic too right?

September 8, 2016 at 9:00PM

You're pretending not to know how to spell "you're," right?

September 9, 2016 at 11:42PM

David Gurney
DP

Your being a twat right.

Sometimes I respond to posts when I'm half asleep from ridiculously long work days. I really don't care if I misspell something. Only if I miss focus. Sounds wanky but its true.

September 11, 2016 at 5:22AM, Edited September 11, 5:25AM

Sorry. Ignore that.

September 11, 2016 at 10:08AM, Edited September 11, 10:08AM

I assume you're joking. Although I would imagine there are a few people out there who will not realize the sarcasm. Removing the headphone jack is, perhaps, the most obvious thing Apple has ever done to alienate consumers for the sake of making money. Because they can. Because the word "Apple" is synonymous with "proprietary for no good reason".
I'm just curious how far they can take this anti-consumer philosophy before their customers realize that there are already non-apple phones that are completely submersible in water (and these other phones ALSO have the headphone jack).
If anyone tries to tell you the removal of the headphone jack was for water or dirt resistance, they don't realize how far behind Apple technology really is.
But the very worst part is their marketing BS about a "DSLR-like" camera. What a horribly unfortunate misrepresentation designed to fool the misinformed.

September 8, 2016 at 1:02PM

But... innovation has to happen one way or another, and inevitably, that means [some] consumers will see this as an "anti-consumer" move, because they feel it's not meeting their own user needs. The same argument happened with floppy disks but who cares about that now?! The 3.5mm headphone port is old hat technology; it's analog and let's face it - no one likes wires, either. Why not innovate (proprietary implementation or otherwise) and solve design problems? Having a digital connection is a huge benefit moving forward. They include supported headphones in the box AND an adapter so traditionalists can keep using their older cans. And I don't understand the confusing comment "to alienate consumers for the sake of making money".... Surely, they NEED consumers to make money. If they lose a small number of consumers because they happened to disagree with technological progress, but continue to make huge profits and please their loyal/new customer base, who cares? The company wins, and the unhappy consumers still have the choice of shopping elsewhere, just like they always have. Whatever you think of Apple (and I certainly don't think they always get it right), the 3.5mm jack is on its way out universally.

September 8, 2016 at 1:25PM

Also, the idea of calling this progress, or comparing it to the removal of the floppy disk are not great analogies. The floppy disk was removed because there were better, more feature-rich options available.
I use bluetooth earbuds all the time. But I can't always because battery life is a very, very real problem. Mine are rated for 25 hours, and it's not enough. Apple rates their for, what, 5 hours? There is simply no benefit to removing the 3.5mm jack. Other than selling adapters. That's it. Let's look past the brand-love and realize this is an obvious, irrefutable statement.

September 9, 2016 at 12:55PM

They are giving the adapters for free...you really are misinformed Mike. Probably because of all the time you spend troubleshooting that crap android you're holding.

September 9, 2016 at 2:06PM

Mike have fun with your android phone. That won't get updates six months after release, with terrible battery life, zero customer support, and buggy software. Have fun, iPhones just work. That's why everyone has them, they are the best. No other phone can really compare, unless you are willing to accept the aforementioned drawbacks.

September 8, 2016 at 1:54PM

How alone and scared r u little Ninja?

September 8, 2016 at 2:46PM, Edited September 8, 2:53PM

Yup, so alone. Guess the millions of people preordering the phone tomorrow don't count. More and more our market is moving towards iPhone videography. Not android, not Windows, but iPhone videography. Many of the opportunities in LA are for iPhone videographers.

Having this phone will put you at the forefront of mobile image capture, especially with raw they are offering.

September 8, 2016 at 4:12PM

Sure, I guess you forgot RAW imaging offered by Windows and Android years ago. Anyway good luck with your prospering career of iphone photography in LA! I can't wait to see the Vines

September 8, 2016 at 10:50PM, Edited September 8, 10:52PM

My android is already updated to Nougat. That was just released. Buggy? No. No crashes yet. iPhones just work? No no no no no. I can do things with my Android and tasker that iPhone users will not be able to do for another 3 years (if ever). Literally. No hyperbole.
But thank you. I will have fun.

September 9, 2016 at 12:38PM

And your android phone will never get another update...sorry to tell you android phones are buggy as hell. I used them for years and switched to iPhone with the 6. I will never go back, android is crap.

Everyone lets pray Mike will get another half update.

September 9, 2016 at 12:51PM

Ninja, you simply don't know what you're talking about. I have a Nexus 5x, which is pure android OS. I will get updates immediately the day of release.
Before dropping android, you should have tried learning tasker, widgets, and other android-only features. There's nothing wrong with being "easy-to-use", but we can't just pretend apple users are getting the newest innovative tech. That is simply not true.

September 9, 2016 at 1:00PM, Edited September 9, 1:02PM

Good luck Mike. I was in IT and repaired android phones. They are cheaply made, poorly developed crap. Usually rushed out to compete with Apple announcements, adding useless demo features. Yes the nexus may or may not be the best model, but it's still pretty terrible. With Android you are always waiting for a fix to all your bugs and issues. Needing to buy a new phone to fix the issues of your last phone. iPhone users on the other hand can hold onto their phones longer, because Apple constantly updates all their phones. They just cut off the 4, which is like 6 years old.

My experience with android. Started with a Samsung moment, it was barely usable. Had to sell it and buy a sprint evo. That phones battery life lasted like an hour. After a year I couldn't use it anymore so I bought a note...this phone was more buggy and useless than any other. Finally I switch to iPhone, I have had the same phone for over two years and zero issues. Not once have I had any trouble with it, and the battery still lasts an entire day.

With IOS Apple takes care of you and fixes things quickly.

I have tried all mobile OS's, IOS is far superior in every single aspect. Have fun using widgets and flicking your life away. I will be getting work done faster on my iPhone. Oh and yeah all those iMessage chains you'll never be a part of, because everyone in production has a iPhone. You are just a green bubble to us, stay away or join. Have fun with tinkering with your buggy phone. Hopefully they come out with a new buggy version so you can upgrade a year later to fix that phones bugs. Aww the life of an android user, I will never go back.

September 9, 2016 at 2:03PM, Edited September 9, 2:12PM

" You are just a green bubble to us, stay away or join. "

You're touting an Apple software defect as a BONUS?

That's pathetic, and this is coming from an iPhone user. Android is a fraudulent mess, but Apple is going backward so fast that it almost doesn't matter anymore.

Want to play music from your iPhone to sync with a music video performance? Don't forget your "adapter", which "adapts" your music-centric phone so it can... play music.

Also, don't forget your proprietary charging cable and power brick, because Jony Ive says you don't need a battery.

Also don't bother trying to download anything from the Internet, because Apple says you don't need a file system on your mobile device.

And don't try to develop any cool camera-interface products, because Apple says developers don't get access to the I/O port.

Yeah... sell ignorance somewhere else.

September 9, 2016 at 11:35PM, Edited September 9, 11:35PM

David Gurney
DP

Have fun hacking your phone to do these things. I personally want my phone to just work. Androids do not work, your point is mute.

September 10, 2016 at 5:31AM

Android is a pitifully inept design, absolutely inexcusable in a modern OS. The fact that users can't update to the latest version on the day of release is pathetic, and reveals that Google failed to design a proper hardware-abstraction layer and driver model.

Even creaky old Windows runs on millions of disparate hardware configurations and yet users can buy it at retail on the day of release and update without breaking most software that runs on it.

The Nexus is the "special" phone that gets updates... but sadly suffers from its idiotic placement of the headphone jack on the wrong end (the top). And how long before it, too, is orphaned?

September 9, 2016 at 11:39PM

David Gurney
DP

"What a horribly unfortunate misrepresentation designed to fool the misinformed."

Or... They simply want to make the camera as useful as possible for those that don't have or want a DSLR.

potato/potato

September 8, 2016 at 3:32PM, Edited September 8, 3:32PM

Robin Horn
Amateur Photographer

Possibly. But I think it's more likely Apple wanted to use the term "DSLR" in their marketing because most consumers won't know exactly what that means other than it sounds "pro". Those folks will be tricked into buying something that the iPhone is not. To me, it seems very intentionally misleading.

September 9, 2016 at 12:49PM, Edited September 9, 12:50PM

The shallow depth of field simulation interests me but I have to wonder how accurate it is going to be in complex shooting situations. Apple is hit or miss with their software tricks. The samples they provided show a person with clean lines against a relatively clean backdrop. How well will this "portrait mode" work when shooting someone with frizzy hair standing in front of a tree? So far, a couple other phone manufacturers have also implemented artificial bokeh with mixed results. I am curious to see if Apple can make this work really well, but I am very skeptical, as they are selling the phone with a feature that isn't even available for consumers to try out yet.

September 8, 2016 at 4:26PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

My wife is iphone, I'm android. I've owned a Samsung Galaxy s4 for years... you can take out the battery and use a bigger battery in it.

Here's the pluses to Iphones:
1. nicer camera
2. simple to use

And androids - well the LG G5

1. removable batteries
2. removable micro sd memory. cheap
3. more customizable
4. more buttons
5. ability to close tabs with one click
6. easy to organize apps, with app subscreen
7. cheaper

Just for the reason of removable memory and battery, I have stayed android. The battery is the first thing to go. No need to throw out the whole phone because the battery is dying.

September 9, 2016 at 8:48PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

If you had apple care, you would need to throw anything away. They would cover you for three years no matter what, and for its a defect you don't pay a cent. The iPhone's battery will last 3 android batteries, I don't want to be carrying all this crap around.

September 9, 2016 at 10:32PM

"The iPhone's battery will last 3 android batteries, I don't want to be carrying all this crap around."

That makes no sense. With the iPhone, you're carrying WADS of crap around.

1. Power brick and wire, because there's almost no battery.
2. Bulky, tacky case to protect a mobile device that can't withstand being used for its primary purpose. Maybe even bulkier if it's a battery case.
3. An adapter to make the music-playing phone able to... play music.

September 9, 2016 at 11:31PM

David Gurney
DP

You are wrong...sorry you are so misinformed. I am on hour 15 of a heavy wait intensive set. My phone still have 30% battery after being off the plug for over 17 hours. Yeah, show me an android phone that doesn't need 3 batteries for 17 hours of constant use. You can't, android are lucky to get 3-4 hours of constant use, and that is very lucky. I don't need an adapter, I have Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth in my car...good luck with your buggy phone, I hope you find the right rom to flash that can eliminate a few of the issues you are facing.

September 10, 2016 at 5:35AM

Apple: Calling consumers stupid by removing the audio output from its line of music players.

There's no excuse: http://goldmanosi.blogspot.com/2016/08/why-consumers-and-shareholders-sh...

September 9, 2016 at 11:29PM

David Gurney
DP

Yeah, don't you know people come out with these articles because of people like you. They know Apple haters like you will read and share their hate. The Art of Smacking Apple Around as Entertainment Pays Handsomely - Mac Observer

You are too much of a fool to see you are being played. You can't lie to me I owned like ten android phones, they all sucked and were buggy. Once I switched to iPhone, somehow I have zero bugs or issues. My battery life is great, and phone doesn't slow down after a month because of googles shit OS. I used to have to wipe my android phones after two weeks because it would become a brick. Have fun with this, you'll eventually switch to iPhone when you're tired of struggling.

September 10, 2016 at 5:44AM