February 4, 2017

Watch: This Pelican Case Gets Battle Tested to See How Tough It Really Is

How well does a Pelican case stand up against fire, two-story drops, and vicious hammer attacks?

Filmmakers want to believe that when they put their very expensive and precious camera gear inside their camera bag/case that it'll be safe from harm, but is it? Well, if you've got a Pelican hard case it just might be. B&H put the manufacturer's new line of Pelican Air cases to the ultimate battle test, dropping it off of buildings, shooting paintballs at it, and finally, throwing it into a burning trash can. Check out the video below to see how well it held up.

Granted, this video is nothing more than an ad masquerading as a battle test for Pelican's new case, but to be fair, there's a reason why so many filmmakers go with Pelican cases: they work. They're airtight, watertight, crushproof, and dustproof—and I know you can't ethically say they're fire retardant, but still, that case survived a dirty garbage can fire. That's pretty impressive.

If you're a Pelican fan, this video from BrandmadeTV not only shows you how the cases are built, but gives you a little history on the company itself, which after 40 years in the business has become the largest manufacturer of protection cases in the world. Check it out below:

At 46 seconds they did actually break it with the hammer. Put a hole right in the side. And the top with the paintball rounds after beating it with a hammer.

The Air cases just aren't as tough as their older counterparts.

February 4, 2017 at 8:04PM, Edited February 4, 8:07PM

Liam Tain
Head of Creative

Tell that to the Peli Air case 1615 I saw fall over 50 meters down a cliff, hitting every rock it possibly could, only to land and sink into a lake. 4 hours later we recover it, open it, all contents are fine, including a Sony Fs7, 6 Zeiss CP2 Primes, V-mount batteries, etc, etc.. I believe 2 of the primes did need to be serviced for some minor reason but that's about it.

February 5, 2017 at 11:11AM

That doesn't actually prove that they are as tough as their older counterparts but thank you for sharing your gear list.

February 6, 2017 at 1:31AM, Edited February 6, 1:31AM

Liam Tain
Head of Creative

It at least proves they are tough enough for most situations I think. Also, you seem confused, this was not my gear, this was the project DoP's gear.

February 6, 2017 at 4:58AM

Just wondering how the camera that was inside of it worked after the test.

February 5, 2017 at 5:49AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Exactly! This is a video about the resistance of the case, not about the survival of a hypothetical camera inside the case. The acceleration of a hypothetical camera inside the case when this impacts the ground from two stories high could be too much for any mechanism of the camera (shutter, for instance), or for the moving parts of a zoom lens.

This video es just publicity, propaganda or marketing. That's all.

February 6, 2017 at 9:28AM

I've got two Pelican 0350 cases, and one has a big crack in the bottom that apparently happened at the factory - the boxes were undamaged. I bought the two and left them in the boxes for several months before taking them out, so I think I screwed myself in terms of a warranty replacement, and the procedure for it are more hassle than it's worth. Pelican isn't worth the cost, in my experience.

February 10, 2017 at 3:17PM, Edited February 10, 3:17PM