A Game-Changing Law for Freelancers & Are Indies Rising From the Blockbuster's Ashes? [PODCAST]
This episode of Indie Film Weekly wonders if the massive decline predicted for summer box office returns is a hidden boon for indie filmmakers.
Jon Fusco, Charles Haine, and yours truly, Liz Nord also discuss the new rules that might affect every freelancer, new E-mount lenses from Sony, an obituary for the MP3, and why the war between Netflix and movie theaters rages on even at the Cannes Film Festival. In Ask No Film School, we reveal the best way to set up a 4:3 timeline (and whether you’d really want to).
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- RIP MP3: What the Death of a File Format Means for Filmmakers
- Watch: Why 'The Matrix' is a Perfect Example of How to Start a Movie
- 10 Things to Know Before Shooting Your Microbudget, Part 1: Budgeting and Pre-Pro
- 10 Things to Know Before Shooting Your Microbudget, Part 2: Financing and Hidden Costs
- Don't Let Fear of Failure Overcome Fear of 'What if?': Wisdom from Will Ferrell's USC Grad Speech
- 'Buster's Mal Heart': How to Challenge Audiences and Control Your Destiny as a Filmmaker
- 'Moonlight': Barry Jenkins on Why the Exquisite Film Nearly Killed Him
- Rooftop Films Summer 2017 Lineup Features Ana Lily Amirpour, Michael Showalter, Jessica Williams, and More Indie Faves
- First Look: Sony Continues to Take Over Full Frame Market With Two New E-Mount Lenses
- SmallHD Helps You Stay in Focus Even on the Brightest Days
- This Lens Shootout Compares Almost Every 50mm Lens Available
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- LEF Moving Image Fund: Pre-Production Proposal - June 7
- Points North Fellowship and Shortform Editing Residency - June 7 (Earlybird)
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Philadelphia Film Festival - May 19 (Earlybird)
- Raindance Film Festival - May 19
- Austin Film Festival - May 19
- Moonlight - May 18
- Inglourious Basterds - May 22
- Buster’s Mal Heart - May 28
- Alien: Covenant - May 19