December 11, 2012

Help Create a Day in the Life of the World on 12.12.12 with Vimeo and One Day On Earth

In the past two years there have been two world-wide events -- the first on the tenth of October, 2010, the second on the eleventh of November, 2011 -- in which the One Day on Earth project invited anyone and everyone, anywhere and everywhere in the world to capture a single living moment. The result is a series of feature-length video collages (one for each year) spanning every possible scenario you could imagine -- all of which were simply occurring on the same single day. This year, Vimeo and One Day on Earth invite you to join over 30,000 collaborators in contributing to the final film of the trilogy -- tomorrow, on 12.12.12.

Those unfamiliar with One Day on Earth may instead recall Ridley Scott and YouTube's like-minded venture in 2010, Life in a Day. The idea here is similar overall -- the most obvious difference may be Vimeo's key role versus the YouTube-powered model of Life in a Day. Here is this year's One Day on Earth launch video:

The three-year (well, three-day, technically) timeframe makes One Day on Earth a collaborative piece of art on an unprecedented scale. Another fascinating aspect of this project is that all videos are tied into a geo-tagged interactive map, which allows you to see where each contribution originated:

Here are the videos for the previous year's films -- the first is of 11.11.11 and the second 10.10.10:

Daniel Hayek had this to say over at Vimeo's blog regarding the project:

With the global filming event just days away, we’re inviting you to participate. It’s easy to get started: create a profile on the One Day on Earth site and it will automatically connect to your Vimeo account. Then, on Wednesday, December 12, capture your slice of the world. The resulting film will be shown all over the globe...

We at Vimeo are proud to have participated in this incredible project from its earliest days, and even prouder that we’re part of an amazing and growing list of supporters, which includes the United Nations, Oxfam, Red Cross/Red Crescent, World Wildlife Fund, and many others. So we’re asking the entire Vimeo community to sign up, get your cameras ready, and prepare to add yourself to One Day on Earth.

Daniel also got a chance to ask the founders of the project a little about it -- check it out if you'd like more details on the goings-on behind the scenes. As you likely realize having just looked at your wristwatch or calendar, yes, tomorrow is indeed 12.12.12 -- and there's no reason all of us couldn't give a little of our own perspective to this project! I look forward to seeing the submissions you guys may make. Here's to living in a multitude of global folks' shoes, if just for a moment.

Will you guys be getting out there and making your own contributions to One Day on Earth tomorrow?

Link: One Day on Earth

[via Vimeo]

Yup...! My iSight camera is all set to shoot ;-)

December 11, 2012 at 11:46PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Devil

Yep, will up right now clearing some memory for tomorrow. Shooting in Merida, Mexico all day!

December 12, 2012 at 12:00AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Mike Ice

I see. Welp, there goes my day.

December 12, 2012 at 1:49PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Nope.
These guys don't have the resources to edit this within a reasonable time.
I love the idea of doing this yearly - but I think they just got 2010 out the door this year.

December 12, 2012 at 4:52PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jer

Hey Jer,
The films are an epic editing feat, no doubt about it, but we hope that people see the project as a way to establish a valuable shared archive of our time and a collaboration to connect with other filmmakers worldwide. We even have educators around the world interested in using the project as a way to engage students. The film is just our interpretation - while we love piecing this together, there is a lot more to this project.

2010 film was a crazy learning process. While there have been other projects that have amassed footage, nothing has ever been as global and diverse. Every country in the world participates. We watch all footage, and translated 240 hours of straight dialogue from 90 languages. We are not a hollywood stunt and will not rush an edit out. This is too important. That said, we are working to tighten-up the process and have learned a lot about how to manage this type of story development.

To those that did participate: you just got downloadable access to the thousands of hours of archive for non-commercial use with credit to the creator of the content... so there is that!! :)

-Brandon
Co-founder
One Day on Earth
litman@onedayonearth.org

December 12, 2012 at 9:27PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Hi,
I just wanted to apologize.
You guys did an amazing job. Well worth the wait.
I'm sorry I missed out this year. There is no 13-13-13 so um... how's next year going to work out?
Anyway, again I apologize for the preliminary criticism.
Looking forward to 11-11-11 and 12-12-12

December 21, 2012 at 11:03PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jer

Jer, something this special takes time to complete and I can assure everyone that its well worth the wait. Brandon and co are doing an amazing job and we are proud to be a part of this important and breathtaking film. I've seen some of the footage that Australian film makers shot on 12.12.12 and its just amazing. To rush out an edit to distribution would be the wrong choice. These kinds of films are crafted in quality and for that, time is an important mixture. We look forward to screening the final instalment and congratulate all involved, where ever you are.

Shaun Wilson
Local Producer, Australia
One Day on Earth

December 13, 2012 at 12:07PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

shaun wilson

Yikes! Sorry - sounded like I was being more of a jerk than I meant.
I have a slight good idea of how much work you guys are putting into this I didn't mean to brush it off.
That being said - I'm not sure about it doing yearly - without centering around a theme of some sort - I could be wrong of course - It just doesn't have the same appeal it did for me when I initially heard about the project and then had YouTube copy it and get their out the door - Of course I have no clue what footage you have - so I should just shut the hell up and say I'm looking forward to seeing what you create. :)

December 14, 2012 at 2:12PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Jer

Just another number on the odometer of time created by man.

December 13, 2012 at 6:39PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Harry Kemball

Wow - this would have been really cool if I'd rec'd it before 12-13-12.

December 17, 2012 at 5:28PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM