October 8, 2013

Nikon D610 Officially Announced; Addresses Dust/Oil Issue of Its Predecessor

Nikon D610_3It has been about a year since Nikon released their full frame Nikon D600, which at the time was the cheapest full-frame camera at just around $2,000 for the body. However, the D600 wasn't without its faults, as there were many complaints from users about dust and oil residue on the sensor. Well, with the recently announced D610, Nikon has apparently addressed this issue with an all new shutter mechanism, as well as a few other upgraded specifications, like better image quality, higher fps rate, and improved automatic white balance. Read on for more details, as well as pricing for both the new D610 and the D600.

If you liked the Nikon D600, chances are you're going to like the D610 slightly better. The specs of both cameras are similar -- the D610's upgrades are arguably minor, but address the dust and oil issues of its predecessor (which was probably the most pressing concern anyway.) A few of the improvements Nikon has made on the new model are worth noting, though.

The Nikon D610 includes, as I said earlier, a new shutter mechanism, which supposedly fixes the dust/oil spots. It comes with an updated AWB algorithm, which aims at giving users better results when shooting with artificial lighting, as well as the ability to capture more natural skin tones. The new AWB, with the incorporation of contrast information, will also give faces a more three-dimensional appearance.

The D610 will start shipping on October 18, 2013, but you can preorder them at $1,999.95 (body only). An added bonus to the D610's release is the price drop of the D600, which now retails for $2,096.95 (body only,) but through a special offer at B&H (through November 2nd,) you can get your hands on it for $1,896.95.

Links:

[via Nikon Rumors]

Oil and dust on the sensor was never an issue on the D800. Not sure where you got that information.

October 8, 2013 at 9:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Just google "d800 oil on sensor" and you will see it was an issue.

October 8, 2013 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brett

I don't know about the D800, I had the D600 for a couple of months and sold it quick, great stills camera, shame they never addressed the video properly, not being able to change aperture on the fly and clean HDMI from the get go, was just strange, it took them a very long time to acknowledge the dust/oil issue, they should replace all the D600's out there, this camera has nothing new really.

Strange how all these companies think, Olympus had the makings of an amazing video camera in the OMD EM5, they just would not budge on a firmware update, and then launched the EM1 which is more expansive that a D610/D600 and still have not addressed video, then some European representative comes out with a statement promising better video implementation in the future. too late I fear, they really don't listen to anyone, I lobbied both companies on those issues, they don't listen

October 8, 2013 at 10:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

kuban

Best thing I did for shooting video with my Nikons is to get the older AI and pre-AI (converted to ai) lenses. Can change the aperture on the fly from the lens. But yeah, agree with you 100%.

October 8, 2013 at 11:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

steve

I agree. I have one of the first shipments in the US of the D800 and not only did it not have any oil spot issues but this is the first I've heard of this, and I read most of the camera forums like DPR where isolated issues get blown into recall level defects by one or two rants from inexperienced users.

There were reports of the left outermost AF point on the D800 not providing accurate focus, but oil spots? That's news to me.

October 8, 2013 at 10:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Markus

The frame rate specs are the same as the D600...this article seems rushed.

October 8, 2013 at 10:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pat

610 is a rebadged 600, basically. Let's see what the DSLR class manufacturers come out with - even if just the product map - for the Photo Plus Expo that is opening in two weeks in New York, So far, Sony is pumping one product after another but Canon and Nikon are kind of quiet on the "enthusiast to prosumer to pro" front. Then again, that Canon Q could be something interesting. Or it could be nothing at all.

October 8, 2013 at 11:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

To add a bit - D610 has the same Expeed3 processor as D600. The anticipated D5300, a DX camera, is expected to receive a newer and more powerful Expeed4. The new chip is also expected to power the Nikon replacements for the higher end D800 and D4.

October 8, 2013 at 12:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Hey V. Renee,

RICOH Pentax K3 also has been announced! VIDEO FEATURES GREATLY IMPROVED!
Some of your readers may be interested in this camera.

CHECK IT OUT THE SPECS HERE: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentax-k-3/

October 8, 2013 at 12:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ramaatis

didn't say anything about how good the video was. 8bit? 10bit? 24mb? 50mb?

October 8, 2013 at 1:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VinceGortho

Here is more details on THE K3 specs!: http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/

October 8, 2013 at 1:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ramaatis

The D600 was a complete non event for video - the D610 changes nothing so why is this even remotely a news story on NFS?

And yes I've owned a D800 from the initial shipment - as have many people I know and none of us has had the oil issue and this is honestly the first I've heard of it and Im a regular on DP review.

October 8, 2013 at 4:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

Agreed it was never an issue.

I've had my D800 since the beginning and listened to every little blip about it since and never have I read about anyone getting oil or dust on the sensor.

I can honestly say its been an amazing camera and love the video quality and high dynamic range.

October 8, 2013 at 8:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The D610 actually is going to have clean HDMI out with a 100% image. As I understand it, the D600 had clean HDMI out, but only a 95% video feed.

October 9, 2013 at 5:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Markus

The 95% HDMI output was addressed by the last firmware update.

The Nikon reps seemed genuinely surprized by that bug, I think it was more of an oversight than intentional cripiling of a product.

October 11, 2013 at 2:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pentax K3 is a "video second" camera. It has some new features useful for a videographer but it's not its primary concern.

October 8, 2013 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Here's an interesting bit on Pentax 3K -
Still Image : Interval:2s. to 24h, Number of shots: 2~2000 images, Start Interval:Now/Set Time;
Movie : Recorded size : 4K/FullHD/HD, Interval: 2s. to 1h., Recording time:14s.to 99h, Start Interval : Now/Set Time.
So ... 4K capable? 4K at a low frame rate? 4K to be hacked?

October 9, 2013 at 11:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

"There were many complaints from users about dust and oil residue on the sensor, an issue that plagued the D800 as well until a fix came with later shipments. Well, with the recently announced D610, Nikon has addressed this issue with an all new shutter mechanism"

You are actually all wrong on this. First off as pointed out earlier this was never an issue with the D800.

Second and more importantly, Nikon has never publicly admitted to the dust/oil problem with the D600. Official word from Nikon claims that the new shutter mechanism was put in place because D600 users were clamoring for a faster framerate. Which has been increased from 5.5fps to 6fps.

So the claim the Nikon has "addressed the issue" is not true. Because according to Nikon there is no issue to address. Nikon has also not given any pre-production cameras to any of the usual outlets such as DPReview so there are no conclusive tests to prove that the dust/oil problem is fixed.

Before you start writing articles with an authoritative tone you should do a little research. You obviously haven't got the first clue about anything related to Nikon cameras.

October 10, 2013 at 7:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

...or journalism for that matter.

October 10, 2013 at 11:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Everyone with access to a blog is a journalist these days.

October 11, 2013 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I had my D800 since the beginning and listened to every little blip about it since and never have I read about anyone getting oil or dust on the sensor.

December 28, 2013 at 12:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I've bought the Nikon D610 in mid-November after sending back my D600 because of 1000s of oil spots. I'm a fine art photographer and just downloaded 500 images from a recent trip and am devastated because of the oil spots on the D610s sensor!! I don't want to go to Canon, but what's up with this? I spend $1700CDN on a new camera body (and the image quality is amazing!) but the oil spots are horrific - it happens at f5 or f32 in my case. I'm thinking of getting the d800 instead but will I be cursed a 3rd time?

December 30, 2013 at 6:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hilary Stephens

The DSLR class manufacturers come out with – even if just the product map – for the Photo Plus Expo that is opening in two weeks in New York, So far, Sony is pumping one product after another but Canon and Nikon are kind of quiet on the “enthusiast to prosumer to pro” front.

February 5, 2014 at 9:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM