October 15, 2013

Vimeo Upgrades PRO with More Storage & Unlimited Plays

For all of you Vimeo PRO members, if you haven't yet noticed something different on your account, your membership capabilities have been given a pretty big upgrade. Vimeo has been the go-to video-hosting platform for filmmakers, creatives, and video professionals to post their work, and as of today, users will find more storage, fewer restrictions, and more support at no extra cost to you. Continue reading for more information about the new Vimeo PRO upgrades.

Vimeo has maintained its image as the video-hosting platform for creatives— though that exclusivity comes at a bit of a cost. A Vimeo Plus membership, which bumps up storage quite a bit from Basic, will cost users $7/month, which really isn't a huge hit to your wallet. However, a PRO membership packs a wallop, even with a lot more storage and full HD playback, at $20/month for up to 1TB/year or $34/month for up to 3TB. This is why the latest upgrades are a pretty welcomed change.

Vimeo has tackled three areas to bolster: storage, play limits, and support. Vimeo has increased  PRO members' storage and upload capabilities to 1TB a year, which means you can upload 20GB every week, or about five hours of HD video.

The amount of plays are now "totally unchecked, completely unrestricted, and utterly unlimited," meaning that there is no longer a cap on plays, a limit that used to be set at 250K with the option to pay for additional space. The amount of support you get has also been upgraded to 1-hour response to emails 24 hours a day on business days, and 1-day response on weekends. Check Vimeo for updated info on all membership levels.

What do you think of the upgrades? For non-PRO members, will the added storage and unlimited plays move you to go PRO? Let us know in the comments.

Note: this article was updated on April 18, 2018 with current pricing and to reflect NFS site changes.

What membership do you need to get so that when you hit play, it actually plays?

October 15, 2013 at 10:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonesy

sounds like you need to upgrade your isp

October 15, 2013 at 10:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

cd

Youtube plays fine... at higher resolution.

October 15, 2013 at 10:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonesy

I have the exact same problem, my internet connection isn't an issue. Vimeo is just slow, and getting worse.

October 16, 2013 at 12:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John

Vimeo is always pretty slow for me too.

October 16, 2013 at 11:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Youtube quality seems better to me lately, though the dang ads and basic ugliness of Youtube are turn-offs. I guess I just feel that if I'm paying for a service, it should work correctly, and Vimeo does not. I've heard others voice the same concerns here as well.

October 15, 2013 at 10:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonesy

YouTube is now streaming in 2.5K (2560x1440, shown as the "1440" option) for selected videos. Most of them are video games but, if someone wants to re-upload something off BMD, Red or Arri, the quality is indeed very good.
I assume Vimeo is still 720P?

October 15, 2013 at 11:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

1080! Noticed that once I started uploading iPhone videos.

October 16, 2013 at 1:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Coz

Agreed.

Vimeo PRO - $199 a year, 1080p max resolution, player that doesn't load videos quickly or efficiently, no opportunity for ad revenue.

YouTube - $0 a year, 4K resolution, loads quickly and efficiently, chance to earn some cash through ads.

It's an inferior site in almost every way!!

October 15, 2013 at 11:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Also, Vimeo does weird stuff to my videos during the conversion process. Hue and luminance changes. I couldn't say if Youtube does the same thing, but again, if I'm paying for a service, shouldn't it do it right?

Hello Vimeo! Are you listening? Hope so. I really liked you at one time.

October 16, 2013 at 12:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonesy

if only youtube had a download feature.

October 16, 2013 at 1:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VinceGOrtho

There are so many ways to download YouTube videos but I know what you mean. That's the one function of Vimeo that I have always liked but the full quality video you can download from YouTube is "good enough" to make up for this.

October 16, 2013 at 1:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

and Youtube could use the option to replace existing files

October 16, 2013 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jahwar

I am surprised to see so many people saying youtube is a better option, in areas of the world where internet speed continues to be a problem, Youtube turns out to perform so bad it can even drive you absolutely nuts. Since some time back youtube will stop loading the entire timeline while paused, also it won't allow you to scroll back and forth or to choose and earlier moment in the video because it will start loading all over, vimeo does all that and performs flawlessly, we can even watch HD streaming without waiting for it to load, I was sepcially impressed by the streaming speed of vimeo on demand. Also, given the fact hat I am having trouble watching youtube in 360p I don't think I'll be tempted to watch anything in 4k anytime soon...

October 16, 2013 at 1:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Perhaps its down to where you are on the planet. I'm in Australia and find that youtube streams HD and 4K for that matter perfectly fine, no waiting around. Vimeo however struggles to play SD video, HD is so slow after waiting ages for only a few seconds of video it just stops loading altogether.

October 16, 2013 at 2:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John

Yeah, that's weird. Same here and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

October 16, 2013 at 2:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DItto - Im a Sydney sufferer where Vimeo is concerned. I love the Vimeo concept but HATE the craptacular streaming performance. Im with the countries top internet provider as well. Such a shame.

October 16, 2013 at 4:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

This might be related to quality and position of servers. Since Youtube is using Google servers, it's faster in Australia than Vimeo, which might be using servers that are further away. In America I suppose it might be the other way around since people are hitting Google all the time and that might slow down Youtube... but this is just conjecture.

October 16, 2013 at 6:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I'm in the US and Vimeo is super slow.

October 16, 2013 at 12:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yep, another Aussie with very slow Vimeo.

October 16, 2013 at 11:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Also an Aussie in Brisbane area and Vimeo is slow and Youtube is fine on the same connection.

October 17, 2013 at 7:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The problem on youtube where it will only buffer a section of the timeline is caused because they use something called DASH Playback. You can disable it by installing the browser extension "Youtube Center". I have it and it works. It also adds loads of other options to stop autoplaying, to add download options, etc: http://lifehacker.com/preload-entire-youtube-videos-by-disabling-dash-pl...

October 16, 2013 at 10:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I was wondering what it was. It makes sense for them since a lot of folks just watch a portion of a video before clicking onto another clip (I do this all the time) and there's no reason for them to waste bandwidth by buffering too far ahead. That said, it should probably be made an option for the channel host.
As to Vimeo, they should be offering a much higher bit rate for their paid accounts, including 2.5K (aka 1440) and 4K. I suppose they can charge for the upgrade but, considering that YouTube is offering the 2.5K/4K for free and will even split ad revenues depending on the number of channel hits, makes me think that Barry Diller is really overpricing his model. Worse yet, it really seems like they want to make their living of content creators rather than content users and that is a wrong direction to take.

October 16, 2013 at 11:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

It depends what ISP you are using. I have done several tests with several ISP's on same location, turns out some ISP are lowering priority on vimeo and youtube as they generate a lot of traffic. You should check forums about your local ISP and see which ISP is good on youtube and vimeo right now.

October 16, 2013 at 4:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That really wont solve the problem though will it - I dont upload videos so I can stream them back to myself - I upload them so others can do so. I cant control what ISP an audience will use and it just seams far less people have problems with YouTube than with Vimeo.

October 16, 2013 at 4:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

Why should I have to pay $199 a year to get 1080p ("full HD") playback? I can justify $60, but not $200. Honestly though I see myself just hosting videos on youtube. Both Youtube and Vimeo seem hit or miss for me for playback, but I'd say Vimeo just barely wins.

October 16, 2013 at 8:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Antony Alvarez

Vimeo does support 1080p without a PRO account; I believe PRO just gets you faster uploads/conversions, more storage, business use etc.

October 16, 2013 at 11:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brendan

Pro is for business. You can charge for your videos, thats the whole philosophy behind it. You cant do that with youtube.

October 17, 2013 at 4:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Cubiche

While I get what you're coming from, in the professional/commercial world the notion that $199/year for a virtually unlimited streaming service "packs a wallop" is completely absurd. $199/yr for commercial use is so unbelievably cheap it makes my head spin.

October 16, 2013 at 12:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

If you are a professional (as in you sell video production services), Vimeo Pro portfolio feature is worth the $200 by itself. Sending clients to view a rough cut of a video on youtube is a terrible experience for them and looks unprofessional for you. However if you send a client a link to a custom URL with their branding and password protection, as well as adding the ability to comment on the video privately you quickly see a ROI on your $17 per month. For broadcasting videos Youtube is obviously the only choice.

October 16, 2013 at 12:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jim

YouTube has "private" and "unlisted" features as well. "Unlisted" is probably the easiest to use, as you only have to send a link to someone and they can access it with one click.

October 16, 2013 at 4:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Its all well and good to increase storage and other benign additions, but Vimeo fails miserably at implementing actual desired features for its users, especially when there is no relation to increased income to the company.

Namley the multilple delete, debackle, that has bee going on for nearly three years now - https://vimeo.com/forums/topic:36881

We use Vimeo for everything we deliver online but it really is a thorn in the side when you have to delete one video at a time, each time putting in your password!

Vimeo is always making updates like the one in this post, when it came onto the scene it was a real force with features that outshined youtube (clean embedding still is hands down one of its best features) Youtube however has worked out the perfect way to upload multiple files (vimeo limits you to 5 at a time, online) and the video manager in youtube is a dream - one click to select an entire page of videos, one click to delete, then asks you "are you sure" wait three seconds then boom, gone, no password required.

I really wish they would take note and get some key features in place, as it appears to take income and expansion, over delivering a user experience that we all want and need.

October 16, 2013 at 5:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

thought I would share (for John) that you can use the Vimeo iphone app to delete videos with no password. I think you can even do multiples.

October 17, 2013 at 4:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I'm actually very concerned about these upgrades. These are crazy limits. It means the light users are subsidising the hogs. Nearly unlimited accounts destroyed Dreamhost, damaged Smugmug and now they look like they are about to do Vimeo in.

From the comments, it looks like Vimeo already has performance issues. Overly large allowances are only likely to make these performance issues worse.

October 20, 2013 at 6:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM