December 20, 2013

Apple Final Cut Pro X Gets Better Project Management & More 4K Support in Major 10.1 Update

Final Cut Pro X 04-Library-ModelA new Mac Pro wasn't the only thing coming out of Apple yesterday. They also introduced a major new update for their NLE, Final Cut Pro X. This 10.1 update adds a number of features, including more 4K software and hardware support, optimized dual-GPU performance, native support for more camera files, and the ability to upload 4K videos directly to YouTube. Perhaps the biggest addition, however, is a change in the way FCPX organizes projects, which should make for much better project and media management.

You need to make sure that you have the new OS X 10.9 Mavericks installed, as that is the only OS compatible with the 10.1 update, but before you update, it's probably worth it to watch these three videos from Ripple Training:

One of the biggest changes about the way the program works involves Libraries. Libraries can now contain everything from a particular project, so it will be easier to media manage and move a project to another computer. If you want to work with older projects, they will have to be updated slightly to work correctly with this new project management structure. Here is what Mark Spencer and Steve Martin from Ripple Training had to say about that over on FCP.co, and you can watch a video below to see more on Libraries:

Perhaps the biggest change from prior versions of Final Cut Pro X is the consolidation of the previously separated Event and Project libraries. Now, all Projects are contained within Events.Events are simply “buckets” for both media and Projects - and Events themselves are contained within Libraries. From our standpoint this is huge.

Previous versions of Final Cut Pro made managing media confusing because Projects could contain media from multiple Events spread across multiple drives. And you wouldn’t know this until you tried to move the Project or hand it off to another editor. Then the screaming would begin...

The new options for media import:

You can check out more of the Ripple Training videos for Final Cut 10.1 over on their YouTube page.

At First Site Films shared a video that was uploaded directly from FCPX to YouTube in 4K, and it worked flawlessly. Here's what they had to say:

Today our team took a bit of a leap of faith and updated both Compressor and Final Cut Pro X, which we’ve been using exclusively as our go-to NLE for the last year or so.

One feature we really wanted to test was 4K export to YouTube which seemed to work flawlessly.

We put together a really short piece showing off some beautiful footage from a shoot we had in Banff, Alberta this past fall and it’s viewable in all its 4K glory here:

These are all of the additions in the new update:

• Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
  • 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
  • Libraries allow you to gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle
  • Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
  • Option to import media to locations inside or outside a library
  • Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
  • Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
  • Audio fade handles on individual audio channels in the timeline
  • Add precise retime speeds by entering them numerically in the timeline
  • Non-rippling retime option
  • One-step Replace and Retime
  • Custom project frame sizes
  • Through edits displayed on all clip types
  • Join Through Edit command removes bladed cuts to clips in the timeline
  • Detach audio from Multicam Clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
  • Make video or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
  • Blade and move audio in J- and L-cuts
  • Roll audio with J- and L-cut splits open
  • Option to hide the Browser to gain more screen space for viewing
  • Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
  • Used media indicators on source clips
  • Improved performance with large projects
  • Improved performance when modifying or adding keywords to many clips at once
  • Easily move, copy, and paste multiple keyframes
  • Option for linear animation with Ken Burns effect
  • Improved image stabilization with InertiaCam and Tripod mode
  • Import photos from iOS devices
  • Proxy and playback quality controls accessible in Viewer menu
  • Support for portrait/landscape metadata in still images
  • Effects parameters, fonts, and text size included in XML metadata
  • Improved support for growing media and edit while ingest
  • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
  • API for custom Share operations using third-party software
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Share directly to Chinese video sites Youku and Tudou
  • Spanish language localization

For those who use Motion, that also got an update to 5.1 which included:

• Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
  • Faster project loading, especially for complex projects
  • Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
  • Spanish language localization

Compressor got a few additions as well:

• New interface with a single-window layout and streamlined controls
  • Preset Destinations for common encoding tasks
  • Simplified setup for distributed encoding

Check out the links below for more information on what's new in 10.1.

Links:

Apple had a good thing going with FCP 7, Color, Soundtrack, Motion and Compressor. But they blew that up with the release of FCPX. I moved away from FCP and I'm never going back. I don't think there is any update to FCPX that would make me want to switch from Adobe now. Adobe's integration with Premiere, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop is unmatched and when they get Speedgrade up to speed (no pun intended) They will be unstoppable. Thanks Apple but no thanks! FCPX lost me at hello...

December 20, 2013 at 12:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

No one cares, Terrell. But thanks for sharing what we've heard 1000x already.

If you've completely written off the software, why bother to post about it?

December 20, 2013 at 12:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

+ 1 million

December 20, 2013 at 1:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

steve

ajajajjajj exactly what I was going to say.....But Terell have you ever tried FCPX??? I used to say the same as you..but for some kind of videos....FCPX is the best and de fastest option....

December 20, 2013 at 2:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jesuan

I have tried FCPX I worked on it everyday for 4 months strait... Edited a few projects in it... So I'm not like some others who have criticized it without giving it a real shot. FCPX definitely has some positives... It's extremely fast for one. But for the way that I work I need more than just a fast NLE...

December 20, 2013 at 6:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I've used FCP7 For couple of years, and move to X from the first release.
While I was crying myself to sleep every night seeing what they did with my most beloved NLE in the first year, the updates came fast and always brought things to the program I so badly missed. Now with version 10.1 i am madly in love… This is program is the best NLE for solo projects in the worlds. So If u have a one man workflow FCPX is the Best NLE. I edit twice as fast on FCPX then I used to in fcp7, and now i cry if i have to use another NLE… Everybody has it's way of editing, but If u know how the work in fcpx U have to love it…..

December 23, 2013 at 8:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

(where's the popcorn?)

December 20, 2013 at 3:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Trollz-b-dead n'shiz

Ford vs Chevy?

December 20, 2013 at 8:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ronn

Christian vs Muslim…… Oh no he didnt!!

December 21, 2013 at 2:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I feel lost in a sea of fanboys

December 21, 2013 at 4:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Why isn't Terrell allowed to express his opinion here? Is he being derogatory? Is he bashing someone personally? If he said "Anyone who uses iMovie Pro is a moron" that would be a different story. But he's allowed to express what he feels like anyone else.

December 23, 2013 at 5:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mike

Not bad of an update. Makes traditional J and L cuts easier, and the management tools are welcome. Not enough for me to switch, but I'm glad FCP X isn't the same program it was at 10.0. Keep it up, Apple!

December 20, 2013 at 12:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

...and just for the record, it's still, as it has always been, free for 30 days to anyone with a Mac (or Hackintosh) who wants to TRY it.

Sometimes listening to the haters makes me wonder "did the parents of that whiney kid ever actually give hem broccoli to eat, or just presume that they'd hate it?"

December 20, 2013 at 1:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trackofalljades

?? I own a copy of it, Motion and Compressor and have cut several projects on it, since 10.0.

It's a tool that any talented editor could take and make something great with. It's just not the tool for me. Don't quite get why that would offend you. It's just a program, what matters is the editor.

December 20, 2013 at 3:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

We need more posters like you.

You understand that it's the person who uses the tool, and not the other way around. FCPX is just another tool for the person to choose from. It has positives and negatives, just like any other NLE out there. Some people will use it, some people won't.

And some people will complain about it.

December 20, 2013 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

David

People have gotten sensitive from all the blind hatred. I can't believe you haven't noticed it. Normally that's just fine, and obviously the NLE is simply a tool, we all understand that, the reiteration is a bit tiresome. The problem occurs when the people who do realize the potential and current benefits of FCP X are snubbed and even ridiculed for their choice. Normally that doesn't matter, but when dealing with clients who tend to be on the same misinformed level as the "haters", unnecessary complications can be added. Adoption will be hindered as long as these people who have clearly not given it a chance troll each and every post pertaining to it.

December 22, 2013 at 1:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Travis

For producers/editors in the Mac operating environment who don't need the scalability of AVID and don't want to shell out $50/month for all eternity to buy into the Premiere system, X is a pretty good value. And Apple is clearly dedicated to improving it with each (free!) iteration. End of story.

Commence all the bashing from groupthink editors who still think X is where it was in July 2011.

December 20, 2013 at 12:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

$50 a month is for the entire creative suite. Premiere is $19.

December 20, 2013 at 12:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

apples

@apples - Yes, but as Terrell pointed out, tight integration across a range of products is what sets Adobe apart. If you ONLY use Premiere you pay $19/mo. but you also negate the integration advantage it has over using FCPX. If you use just two of the products Terrell mentioned you will pay $40/mo.

December 20, 2013 at 1:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

"And Apple is clearly dedicated to improving it with each (free!) iteration. End of story."

Until they decide to ditch it, like they did with FCP7.

December 20, 2013 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Because FCP7 turned into... FCPX...
Don't get what you're trying to say.

December 20, 2013 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mr.Floppy

is anyone here an actual professional ? if so, tell me how you made a living off "X" when it first came out; did you shut down your business for 19 months while Apple brought it up to speed ? did you confidently continue with FCP even though apple said they were going to mothball it ?

did you try Creative Suite ? I love it .. and the only reason i'm here and not going back is because Apple unequivocally and absolutely drove me away.

December 21, 2013 at 10:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

sjk

I have FCP7, FCPX, and all the Adobe shiznit installed. Each has its advantages, and depending on projects and the people who you have to work with, having all three is a good way to go. I mainly use FCPX though, especially since it became so much faster and everything-friendly than any other NLE I've worked on. Oh and I also have Vegas on my Windows partition. A real carpenter works with many tools.

December 21, 2013 at 4:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Without a doubt Apple's release of 10.0 was a PR disaster. I don't think anyone shut their studio down b/c Apple released an Alpha version and called it Pro. I was sick of FCP 7. I didn't want to deal with the transcodes and the dummy files for multicam any more. I was elated when X came out. I bought it day 1 and couldn't believe how not ready for primetime it was and I returned it. So, like a lot of people, I kept using FCP7. Adobe introduced the CC subscription and I jumped ship. All the while, I've been watching X. I'm probably going to do the free trial because it looks like it might be perfect for this project I'm about to work on.

December 21, 2013 at 11:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Michael Hendzel

hummer, so you bash terrell for pointing out his adobe preference and apple dislike, only to point out your apple preference and adobe dislike in your second post. and then invite people to do what terrell did. stop trolling. end of story.

December 20, 2013 at 1:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

dre

I think everyone needs to chill out. AVID, FCPX, and Premiere Pro are all great products. It is nice to have choices depending on one's needs and preferred work flow. I work in an all Adobe (PC) environment, but I have a Mac at home and have done some freelance/personal projects in FCPX - i liked it. I have edited on AVID (all be it many moons ago). Most of us just use the tools provided us.

The whole bash on FCPX thing is so stale though.

December 20, 2013 at 2:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

steve

i agree, steve.
so far though, in this thread, i count more snidey apple defending, mostly preemptive, than bashing.

December 20, 2013 at 2:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

dre

I'm on the - I don't use Apple - but if they make something that draws Adobe users back to them Great. Because while I love Adobe I'm pissed off about the shackles - and would love if Apple could break Adobe's pay or don't play policy. So I'll sit on CS 6.5 and cheer Apple on...

December 20, 2013 at 2:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jer

Get rid of magentic timeline and I would be happy Apple.

December 20, 2013 at 2:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben

You can disable the magnetic timeline since FCPX version 10.0

December 20, 2013 at 3:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jerome

Please explain - I only know of some workaround where it still exists, and you just place clips in the "second" layer.

December 20, 2013 at 10:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

The Position tool disables the magnetic timeline snapping

December 21, 2013 at 1:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Stoked about this update! The Libraries option makes much more sense than projects did. This will be great for my projects at work. And we can finally have automated backup again! Nice to see Apple continually making sizeable updates to this software, and for free each time! It's still not perfect, but despite that, I do prefer it to Final Cut Pro 7.

December 20, 2013 at 3:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Has anyone actually used both FCP X and Vegas Pro, preferably for a significant amount of time (not just playing for a few minutes) and preferably the most recent versions? I would love to see a comparison of the two, but it's very hard to find online, possibly because they are mutually exclusive as to the OS they run on (FCP X is Mac only, VP is Windows only). I have the impression that they're comparable in terms of capabilities and approach (i.e. unorthodox), but I've only used VP (and Avid, and a tiny bit of Premiere).

Any first hand experiences or any links to thorough comparisons between these two would be appreciated. If you've only used one of them, please don't say that the one you have used is better, because you don't know, by definition.

December 20, 2013 at 6:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Shenan

So funny a video about video is so poorly lit.

December 20, 2013 at 8:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ronn

They're editors not cinematographers.

December 22, 2013 at 3:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

S

How can you have an ad included in this piece that touts a bogus "Final Cut Pro for Windows" ???

I know it's an ad choices insert, but you guys are making money from this ad, and its inclusion implies your approval - don't you review them?

December 20, 2013 at 8:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ronn

Man, Christmas time brings the haters out in spades it seems. Simmer down folks!!!

December 20, 2013 at 9:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

THAT Guy

Unfortunately it's not just Christmas time that brings the haters out. Anytime there's an article dealing with any brand name, there will be X people who love it, Y people who hate it, and Z people who want X and Y to shut up.

Luckily most of the readers are A people, who read the article and don't bother to look at the comments.

December 20, 2013 at 11:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

David

No mentioning of improved CinemaDNG support. Any Information on that?

December 21, 2013 at 7:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Then I went to FCPX when Adobe switched to the "gimme all your money" business model.

I have to say once I wrapped my brain around FCPX's logic I really started to enjoy using it.

FCPX isn't perfect but neither is Premiere. One thing that FCPX has over Premiere is the variety of plugins. It like this latest update is going to make the plugin selection even crazier.Hopefully we can finally get Colorista from Red Giant in FCPX or something better. Media management was my biggest pet peeve with the system but it looks like they've addressed that which is great.

I was trying to put off upgrading to Mavericks as long as I could but now it looks like I have to make that move.

December 21, 2013 at 10:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

"I started with Final Cut Pro 7 until Apple drove me to Adobe Premiere when they initially released FCPX. Then I went to FCPX when Adobe switched to the “gimme all your money” business model."

I feel like there have to be so many people with this exact story that we should have some kind of slang term for ourselves and a support group someplace. :)

December 21, 2013 at 10:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trackofalljades

Since this iteration of FCPX requires Mavericks, anyone know if there are any issues running the latest version of Resolve on Mavericks?

December 23, 2013 at 9:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

If anyone is considering buying FCP X, Compressor, or anything else in the Mac App Store...be advised that until tomorrow night you can do so for 20% off. That's $60 savings for FCP X!

December 25, 2013 at 2:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trackofalljades

Someone should remove this Pirate-Slug, bottom-feeding, off-post {insert nasty word} pay-pal deception.

December 26, 2013 at 10:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Babylon Slim

It's getting there. Yes, it's fast. Yes, it offers quite a bit to video editors and these new updates look great. Still, without OMF export options, I just cannot move to FCPX. I have to be able to interface with ProTools, and this is not optional for me. The workarounds to get a FCPX project into ProTools are terrible and destroy handles in the process. Native OMF export would be great; AAF would be even better.

December 30, 2013 at 3:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Alex H.

Greetings Folks,
A little about me. I was a film editor, remember when we worked on Chems and Steenbecks? Then I moved to Tape then AVID and simultaneously Final Cut Pro. I have worked professionally with both products since they have been suitable for professional use.

I did dabble in Premier after FCPX came out and I liked it very much but didn't see any point in jumping ship. FCP7 was stable and a solid professional performer and I still used that and AVID almost every day. I don't know an professionals that would install a new editing software until all the bugs were worked out, the same goes for FCPX. So it wasn't ready for prime time? So what? What update or re-write ever is when it first comes out?

I did create a start up drive just to test FCPX and was amazed at what it could do. Though it clearly was not suitable for professional applications at the time of announcement it has matured into a very capable program. I now no longer fire up Final Cut Studio, there is no point. FCP7 is merely for opening up old projects. About 6 months ago I started to work in FCPX professionally along side AVID. I use AVID for News editing and FCPX for documentaries and, most recently, a feature film.

I also use Photoshop and After Effects all the time and find the integration works fine.

The new update is very welcome and makes me very confident in the edit room.

December 31, 2013 at 8:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

BBH

Does it still crash when you click the share button (and the 'resize clips' button, but only sometimes, often in front of paying clients...)?

January 3, 2014 at 7:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben

Here's something that would simplify everything .....
Rename Events to Bins
Rename Projects to Sequences.
I think when apple started messing around with the language they lost a lot of people. Besides, Projects does not really describe what a sequence is. Neither does Events. Isn't it more like a collection of stuff? Like a folder or day I say, a Bin?

January 8, 2014 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ERF

Hey guys I am trying to import my .r3d files in FCPX 10.1 and my .r3d clips are grayed out and cannot be imported?? Have any of you heard of this happening? I cant find any info on the issue.

January 15, 2014 at 4:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Sam J

Remember: with so many shows on the air all competing for audience attention they're all looking for a
new and different angle. Try to use large bags; it will be easier to cut smaller shapes out of larger pieces
than add two pieces together. Its weight is 122 grams and casing measures 111
x 51 x 13.

This is the perfect website for everyone who wishes to understand this topic.
You know so much its almost tough to argue with you
(not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that has been
discussed for decades. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

February 9, 2014 at 4:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM