March 19, 2014

Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 10.1.3 Adds Native GPU Support with RED RAW Footage

davinci-resolveRED has held back for quite some time letting other manufacturers use 3rd-party hardware acceleration in their software with RED's proprietary .R3D codec, but that time has now passed. In the new 10.1.3 update for Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve, GPU acceleration is now supported with RED files, which will mean faster workflows for anyone not already using a ROCKET or ROCKET-X card from RED.

Here are the new features in the release:

• Color page GUI performance improvement when using Mavericks
  • Update to RED SDK 4.6, which includes support for Dragon OLPF and Rocket-X when using RED ONE clips
  • GPU debayer Preferences option for RED RAW clips
  • Support for 'Content Kind' selected in the DCP composition name dialog
  • Stereo Decision List import for ColorTrace

This update is available for both the full version of Resolve and Resolve Lite, and works with Windows, Mac, and Linux. Resolve Lite does allow for GPU acceleration now (something that was only in the full version previously), but you can only use one GPU at a time for acceleration, so if you don't plan on buying the full version of Resolve, two GPUs aren't all that useful (it will use the other one for non-processing duties).

If you're one of 10 people in the world working with RED DRAGON footage on a daily basis, they've also got support for the new OLPF we mentioned before, and if you happen to still be working with the RED ONE, those files will now be usable with the new ROCKET-X.

To download the update, head on over to the Blackmagic website.

Link: Blackmagic Support Page

What? No edit / NLE function updates..... Blackmagic why so coy. You know final cut and avid are wounded animals. POUNCE already!! KILL KILL KILL!

March 19, 2014 at 9:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

+1. Seriously. Im already spending the majority of my time in resolve. I don't even open up the NLE's anymore as all my dailies and rushes are made in Resolve.

March 20, 2014 at 11:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jorge Cayon

March 19, 2014 at 10:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

My iMac likes this.

March 19, 2014 at 11:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

YEESSS!

March 19, 2014 at 11:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig

GPU Debayer! Colorists wet dream! Woohoo!

March 19, 2014 at 11:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kraig

I'm in Nigeria pls. How can I get the Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 10.1.3??

March 19, 2014 at 11:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Iyke

Iyke,

There was a demo in Lagos sometime a go

March 21, 2014 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Olakunle

Has any company released a training series for Resolve 10.1 yet ? I know there are a few around for 8-9 but a fresh 10 or 10.1 online series would be perfect.

March 19, 2014 at 11:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter

Peter, yes. I plan on watching it in the near future too:

March 20, 2014 at 10:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Denver at Colorgradingcentral.com does a course although it's a 6 month minimum membership. Cost and term aside though it's a decent course although you'll probably find everything you need to know if you look around the internet (ps - I'd highly recommend Mixinglight.com for some real decent colorist tutorials if you want to go the subscription route).

Just tried the new Resolve update on my home setup and thought I'd share my results using 4K RED footage. My setup is an i7 machine with 20GB ram, with an Nvidia GTX 560Ti and an Nvidia GTX 570. On my current project I was getting about 18fps with debayering set to Half/Good before the update. Now getting about 23fps with my 23.976fps timeline so this is a welcome update :) Don't go expecting miracles though unless you have a much better setup than mine (which can't be too difficult).

Still surprised that it doesn't get close to the playback performance of RED footage inside of Premiere with the Mercury Playback Engine (or maybe it's just me?).

March 20, 2014 at 1:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pretty sure this is using Red's GPU debayer tech, not 3rd party tech. Adobe's been working with it as well:

(Down at the bottom)

March 20, 2014 at 6:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gabe

On a re-read, I realized that you probably meant 3rd party hardware vs the Redrocket, rather than 3rd part software...I read it differently because early on in Red's life there were 3rd party debayer software solutions which made Red pretty mad, so they encrypted the data so everything had to go through the SDK.

March 20, 2014 at 6:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gabe

Right, all I was saying was that RED hadn't allowed 3rd party hardware (AMD and NVIDIA GPUs) to be used for acceleration until recently.

March 20, 2014 at 6:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

One of ten indeed! Lets go Red, get those dragons flying!

March 20, 2014 at 9:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adobe Premiere will add native GPU support with RED RAW too (on the new Mac Pro)

March 20, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Etienne

Pressure from the competition... Right there.

Keep API / ABI as closed as possible, until forced to open up.

Also, of course the discovery by outside open source people etc. that the "incredible Redcode" was actually based on a simple Jpeg2000 commercial library did diminish the glorie somewhat...

But at the same time, just like with Apple, if you believe enough, pixie dust is there, somewhere

March 20, 2014 at 4:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juhan-i

The JPEG 2000 thing was known from the early days of Red One, if you were paying attention. But you weren't.

March 21, 2014 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Still no support for third party graphics cards for dual monitor output though, right?

March 20, 2014 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

adam

What are you talking about. You can connect multiple (6) monitors and then also add sdi/hdmi monitoring with a Thunderbolt blackmagic box.

March 20, 2014 at 8:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jay

This is what I'm talking about:
"Video output from DaVinci Resolve is supported via the use of a Blackmagic video device. This can be from the DeckLink range, such as the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D card, or the UltraStudio range, such as the UltraStudio 3D."
Read my comment. I said third-party cards for dual monitor output.

March 21, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

Graphics cards. NVIDIA CUDA works. ATI OPEN CL works.
Which is the 3th party? AJA? This is not a graphics card.
You mean you want the DaVinci Interface on 2 screens?

March 21, 2014 at 5:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

jay

Just curious - since this is really not my area of expertise - let's say you have a machine similar to Kraig's above. ... maybe one video card in the $500 range (3 GB memory, 1,500 cores or something like that) ... a Xeon processor ... how long would it take to convert 10 minutes of Raw footage into a formatted (ProRes, XAVC, AVC-Ultra) file? ... or is my question kind of stupid? ...

March 21, 2014 at 12:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

This was sort of answered on a different forum - 4K Raw to 4K ProRes HQ takes anywhere from 20 to 35 times per unit of time on a 2-3 year old Mac Pro or PC.

March 21, 2014 at 1:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

>If you’re one of 10 people in the world working with RED DRAGON footage on a daily basis

I think it's a little bit more than that to the current date.

March 21, 2014 at 6:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Resolve does utilize all GPUs for debayer, not only one like you said!

March 25, 2014 at 3:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gerhard

Yes the full Resolve, Resolve Lite will only use one.

March 25, 2014 at 6:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Ok, then I misread your text. But what do you mean by this "Resolve Lite does allow for GPU acceleration now"?

March 26, 2014 at 2:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM